“Nice comfortable stay....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of National Hotel

Save Saved
You added National Hotel to your Saves list
National Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17-19 Queens Avenue | Muswell Hill, London N10 3PE, England   |
Ranked #906 of 1,075 hotels in London
“Nice comfortable stay....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

I regularly attend various exhibitions up and down the country so I thought I try this hotel( I have stayed at others close by but rooms were not available)..

As it was not far from Alexandra Palace where I exhibit it seemed well suited for my needs. I was able to find a room at a very reasonable price, which including free car park and breakfast with wi-fi .

The rooms were nice and clean, the beds and the pillows were comfortable. The staff on the whole were fine and the walk to the palace was not so bad. It was a

From my experience as a whole I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012

51 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

I arrived at the hotel after a long train journey, tube ride and then walk there, the outside looked nice and professional but it seems they've concentrated most on this aspect than the rooms themselves as the inside was another story.

I had booked a twin room with an en suite as I don't like sharing a bathroom with people I don't know, yes this is picky on my behalf but I was willing to pay more in order to have this luxury yet when I arrived the man on reception said they didn't have the room I booked available for me. at first he couldn't find my reservation, then decided to tell me that they had had a problem with their system which meant they didn't have record of me booking and then changed his mind again and said that the reason they didn't have my room was because people had decided they wanted to stay on longer so they had my room. Now call me crazy but I would assume that even if someone wanted to extend their stay you would check what rooms were available and what were booked and kick them out into a different room if said one was due to be in use. His response? 'Shes not happy is she' obviously not...

Instead I had to settle for a twin room with a shower but no toilet. And I must say the shower was strangely placed in the corner of the room with no privacy for the person using it. I settled for this with 10 pound knocked off per night - which took a lot of persuasion as I was definitely not going to pay full price for it.

The room was dated and got incredibly hot on a night and when I asked if the radiator could be turned off as it was making me feel ill on a night I was told to open the windows which I couldn't do because they were old and stiff, so I just had to suffer!

I could have coped with all of this if I was there for just a day but because I was there, on my own for a full week it made the whole experience incredibly and unnecessarily stressful.

The only positive I have from my stay are the chamber maids. There are two ladies who work there running breakfast and cleaning the rooms and they're absolutely lovely, my breakfast was served quickly and the room was always done when I got back from the exhibition on a night, they work extremely hard.

Moral of the story, you really do get what you pay for, for a long stay I now know I need to pay that little bit more if I want the basic of luxury.

• Stayed October 2012
Ayr, Scotland, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

just back from visiting daughter in london. she has moved flats and no longer has the room to let us stay with her. chose this as was near her but sorry we did. room was clean enough but did not have the tea/coffee facilities as stated or the hairdryer. the breakfast was hit or miss and the staff in the dining room were few and far bewtween and really under pressure and little english which did not help. i felt like i was in Fawlty Towers for the 3 days of our stay. would not recommend

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

After a pretty terrible journey from home to london we got to the hotel to find that our room had not been recorded down, even though a family member had been in less than an hour before to sort out getting us an ensuite room. We got there at about 10:30pm, and the man behind the desk was really unhelpful to the point where we really thought about moving.

After the family member went back and sorted it all out we then found our room (at the end of a long, not really clean corridor) and found it was really, really cold. The heating didn't work and the atmosphere was one out of a horror film really. My first reaction was to turn tail and run, but it was by this time 11:45pm and so we stayed.

The bathroom did smell really clean and it was spotless. But, it did take about 5-10 minutes for any hot water to find its way into our taps. I had a quick wash (while shivering) and then dived into bed.

The bed was one of those beds where the mattress is very thing and effectively we were sleeping on the hard divan bit of it. The bedclothes were clean and the duvet was pretty substantial. One of the good things of the room was the pillow - it was really comfy. However, the curtains didn't really keep any of the light out as they were half falling off.

I woke up pretty early and tried to have a shower (waited another 5min for the hot water to come through) only to find there was no hair drier. This wasn't a problem for me (as I have short hair) but could be an issue for others.

We didn't even try the breakfast as all we wanted to do was get out of the hotel as soon as possible.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Malahide, Ireland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Booked online for one night but when I arrived my room was taken as they had no record of the email. I was given an 'apartment' instead at the top of the hotel. The room was dingy & had an unclean feel to it. I had a common bathroom which had just been used as there was water on the floor. Also hairs in the wash hand basin. There were some hairs on the bed sheet too. The pillows fortunately were clean but even the reduced price of the room & the complimentary breakfast (I declined it) would not entice me to use the 'hotel' again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Galway, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

I stayed here during the Jubilee Weekend and this place is excellent value for money. We had a triple room with on-suite. The room was spacious and clean. It is obvious the hotel has just been freshly decorated. Breakfast was included. We were expecting a continental but they offered a full english which was delicious. The girls in the dining room were very accomodating even though they didnt speak much english. The surrounding area is lovely and there is an excellent bus service. just 10min to finsbury park station. Shops are less than 5 min walk also the bus. It is not 3/4 star but if you need a place to sleep and shower it is perfect. I will def be staying here again. NOt for honeymooners...

Room Tip: There is a car park with loads of spaces. Most of the other hotels in this area don't have one a...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

After reading some of the reviews the day before heading to London I was a little worried....however I needn't have been! The hotel was great value for money, I don't know what some people expect for £60. It has all the basic things you need for a cheap hotel, we had a really big room which was clean and just what we needed. The staff were all really friendly, happy and helpful, and there was always somebody on reception if you needed help. Great location with good transport links into central London, it was about £20 in a taxi from St Pancras but the bus stop is just at the end of the road and is just a short journey from the tube station. I would definitely stay here again if I was coming to London.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to National Hotel? Share your experiences!