“Nice, friendly and clean” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Avo Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Avo Hotel
You added Avo Hotel to your Saves list
82 Dalston Lane | Hackney, London E8 3AH, England   |
Ranked #79 of 535 London B&B and Inns
“Nice, friendly and clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

May be a small room but hey it's London. Good price , great service and we would definitely stay again. You can get a bus nearby straight into the centre and they offer lots of DVD's for a quiet night in. Beds are comfortable, lots of toiletries and a dressing gown to boot. Excellent .

• Stayed March 2013
sunsk8, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Hi Marisa,
Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your stay. The super-fluffy dressing gowns always go down a treat :)
See you again soon,
Sunny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed for one night in one of the 'compact doubles' yes the room is small but we only wanted to sleep there, the bed was super comfortable & the staff extremely friendly. We rang ahead for a late check out which was no problem & when we arrived slightly early our room was ready. There is off street parking close by (we brought resident parking tickets on arrival). We both had ear plugs which may be advisable as the hotel is on a busy road, we both slept soundly and will definitely be back to the Avo.

Room Tip: The compact rooms are compact - if you want more room go for a larger, slightly more expensive room.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
sunsk8, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Hello!
We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us and found that it was easy to call ahead and make arrangements. We try hard to give our guests a top experience :)
See you again soon,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I must have liked it because I feel a bit bad about only giving it three stars, but then again I'll probably look for somewhere different next time, so overall it's just an "OK".

On the plus side the bed was big and comfortable, the bathroom was very clean with really nice quality fittings, taps, shower etc. And it is near the tube station.

On the minus side it's quite expensive at £80, the corridors and staircase are really narrow to the point of feeling quite claustrophobic, and my room was pretty small. Hackney's main road felt quite depressing, but it was rainy and maybe that's just London. Didn't feel like an oasis away from home though, and some B&Bs do. Booking was quite a hassle, with computer problems at their end (maybe just an unfortunate one off?) where my booking wasn't registered, and then emails not replied to for ages, and phone never answered. No cooked breakfast. The guy who let me in was OK, not unfriendly; but I would hardly say "lovely people" like the glowing reviews already here on Trip Advisor. You'd be mad to come here for a romantic weekend or something,but for a business trip then it's OK.

Overall I think they've done a clever job of fitting out a small and tired building with really nice rooms, and are then optimising their income with a high-ish price, cheap-ish breakfast, low staff number and phone cover, a great website etc.

But hey, it's a nice room and comfortable bed.

Room Tip: Mine was at the front on the second floor - maybe bigger rooms are available, and ones with less cor...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
sunsk8, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Chris,
Thanks so much for taking the time to write us this review. Firstly, I apologise for the small glitches you faced, especially regarding the IT issue. We were closed briefly for refurbishment and at the same time our servers went down - we have now moved our systems to ensure our guests never face this issue again.
We do indeed have bigger rooms, which I hope you get to experience if we can persuade you to return. I agree though, that London at this time of year is rather grey. In terms of pricing, most people have given us feedback that our rooms are very good value for London, especially considering the extra touches like memory foam beds (which we're glad you enjoyed) and also spa-level luxury, Elemis toiletries.
All the best to you,
Philadelphia, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I actually stayed there in September of 2011 but just got around to posting! While I thought everything about the hotel itself was excellent, it was admittedly a bit farther than I expected from downtown London, but more on that later.

The owners and staff were very kind and helpful, I loved the little video lending library they had downstairs and, most importantly, though my room was (as some people have said) fairly small, it was really beautiful, very clean and well maintained and decorated, and the bed - SO wonderful. While I don't travel a lot, I think I can truly say it was the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in, and it was oh, so wonderful after being awake for almost 48 hours and just getting off of a flight, a train ride, and a long taxi ride!

The area I thought was very charming - definitely one of those up-and-coming neighborhoods - not too fancy, but not too shabby either.

The only slight issue I had was the location. From Paddington Station (after just getting in from my Newark, NJ to Heathrow flight) to the hotel it cost me amost 40 pounds, and the bus ride from the hotel back to Paddington (it was easier than dealing with the overground/underground stairs with all my luggage) it took at least 45 minutes. With that said, once there, it was about a 2 minute walk to the overground station, and once there, it was fairly quick and easy to get downtown.

Still, for the price, and the quality of the room (again, SO nice - to me it felt like 5 star accomodations (despite the room size) including the very close proximity to the overground, I thought it was a great deal and I would certainly stay there again and would highly reccommend it!

Room Tip: There was a bit of traffic noise, but not a terrible amount, and it really didn't bother me much...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
sunsk8, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Beth,
We were so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us - and that ours was the most comfortable hotel bed you've ever slept in. It's comments like that which make us feel incredibly proud of our family-run hotel.
Hope to see you again :)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

The room I stayed in was more like a studio apartment with wonderful amenities which included microwave and small fridge, stove, and washing machine. The bed was very comfortable. I loved the decor.

The hotel is located in the Hackney area which is close to many bus routes and the Tube. The area is safe to walk at night. There are many diverse restaurants and small stores nearby. I thought the location was great. Hackney is a vibrant neighborhood with Turkish, Caribbean, Arab influences.

I enjoyed the Continental Breakfast with lots of options including British pastries.

The management and staff were very friendly and helpful. They looked directions and recommended local sights to visit in the area. The family run hotel is very personable.

The hotel was converted from a post office so the design is different from a normal hotel, but that adds to its uniqueness.

Room Tip: The room in which I stayed was on the ground level at the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Hi,
Thanks so much for your lovely review. We're very glad you liked staying in 007, our Studio room. Hope to see you again sometime!
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

very handy, very clean with a lot of effort put into this little hotel. they have a studio room which my mum and dad stayed in which is at the back - very good but better to stay ta the top away from traffic noise. The corridors are small and narrow but the room s are a pleassant surprise. They do chocolate evenings too!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Janine,
We're so pleased your parents enjoyed staying with us - we often host family members :)
Hope to see you again,
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We stayed 2 nights in two of the larger rooms - suite and the studio. Both had a good amount of space. Comfy beds and decent showers.

We received a nice welcome from the gentleman manning reception who offered advice on parking (we were told that we were fine to park out front) and sold us parking vouchers. On entering our room we found some washing up in the sink which was taken away with a sincere apology, but this left our studio (with kitchen) without enough crockery and we needed to request another plate for our take away later.

Well presented room with nice furnishings, starting to feel a little tired around the edges but perfectly servicable. There was a bit of a musty smell on entry to the room so we opened the window, unfortunately we discovered later that the open window must be close to a back door used for smoking breaks and this infultrated the room.

Some good things:
Simple buffet, continental style breakfast that met our needs. (nb This was put away at 10am on the dot without a 'last orders' announcement despite two tables of customers still finishing).

Comfy bed.

Some small niggles:
Floor was mopped almost under our feet as we had breakfast - strong cleaning material smell. Would have been better to wait until after short breakfast window for this area to be cleaned.

On both mornings, despite being out of the rooms and the hotel before 10:30am my mother-in- law, who was staying in the suite, was disturbed with a request to clean the room.

Despite receiving reassurances about being able to park out front, we received a parking ticket on our second morning which stated that we did not have the correct parking payment displayed (we had the voucher that we purchased from the hotel).

I did like this hotel - especially the personal contact received before we arrived. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Studio with kitchen is a very good size.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Kate,
Thanks for taking the time to write your review. We appreciate your feedback and have made a point to retrain our staff. Apologies again for the parking mistake - we do hope that paying for your ticket has gone some way towards making amends.
We're glad you enjoyed the contact prior to arriving and we hope to see you again soon :)
Sunny

Been to Avo Hotel? Share your experiences!