“Great service, lovely extras” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Avo Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Avo Hotel
You added Avo Hotel to your Saves list
82 Dalston Lane | Hackney, London E8 3AH, England   |
Ranked #78 of 535 London B&B and Inns
Oslo
“Great service, lovely extras”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I stayed two nights on my own in one of the compact doubles. I understand those who have reviewed the room as small, but for me it was fine. There was room for my case to open, to walk around the bed and for a desk. The welcome I had was lovely and when I asked about a snack (it was quite late when I arrived) I was offered a choice of items from breakfast which was just perfect and very kind.

The information in the room shows the love and care that the owners have put into this hotel including restaurant recommendations, wifi password, a map and other local information.

I stayed here because I was going to a wedding in Stoke Newington. I think the location would have been an issue for me if my interest was in central London, but I was very glad of the opportunity to stay in a new area of London and to be looked after so well.

Breakfast was nice. Reception was able to call taxis quickly whenever I needed one, and it cost £22 in a taxi to Paddington.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 102 which was small, but perfectly formed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
sunsk8, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Helen,
We are so pleased with your review - thank you for writing it. We have taken time to ensure our guests are well-informed and we're happy to hear that you can see the love and care we took.
I'm very glad you enjoyed a snack when you had a late arrival. We do like to go the extra mile for our guests and it's brilliant to have that recognised.
See you again soon, we hope!
Sunny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
welland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I spent two nights here with colleagues and we all thought the same.
The hotel has very nice clean rooms and the beds are exceptionally comfortable. Decor very nice and everything you want in the room especially the suite downstairs with an added kitchen!Free wifi is also a great bonus these days.
We had Hugh on reception the first night and he couldn't do enough for us.He saw that we were stressed out after a long journey and helped (via the computer) us find our venue for the next day.
The second night we had the chap from Chicago who I can only describe as surly and monosylabic. I loath staying away from my home and having to sleep in hotels and what helps is a warm welcome, a friendly face, and someone who will engage with me after a hard days work. Even my "goodmorning" yesterday was met with a grunt! In his favour he did make a nice latte and offered to warm the cold croisssants in the microwave.
The breakfast is disaappointing.One of the very few benefits of living away from home is having a really nice breakfast. Why not get the receptionists who are just sitting there anyway to russle up some eggs and bacon? Continental breakfasts are dull anyway but some fresh fruit salad would have helped liven it up!
Overall, they have made a very nice job of this place and had the breakfast been reasonable and the receptionists on both nights ben friendly I think I would have given it 5!

Room Tip: ask for the room downstairs ...don't bother trying engage with the receptionsists in the evening...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
sunsk8, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Vivien,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We were so pleased to hear you liked the decor and enjoyed the free wifi. I apologise for the experience you had with one of our night managers; we've had a chat with him and it turns out he wasn't well that night. Whilst that is not an excuse, we do hope you understand that he's not normally that quiet. Perhaps we will have you visit again and get a chance to show you an even better time!
We always appreciate our guests' feedback so thank you for your help,
Worthing, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Had a wonderful time, shame it was only for one night. Room 301 was perfect. Family run and very friendly. Spent the evening at a Nice To Meet You event at the Dalston Roof Park,18 Ashwin Street London E8 3DL where we had a lovely bbq and got to meet and listen to Trevor Baylis OBE and see the Roo Panes playing live. We will be back :-)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
sunsk8, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear Chenille,
Sounds like you had a wonderful visit to Dalston. We're so pleased to have been a fun part of it for you! Do come back soon,
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012

Ten years ago, maybe even five years ago, the idea of a boutique hotel on Dalston Lane in deepest Hackney would seem drug induced. But with the new rail link led regeneration the Avo hotel is spot on for ex-residents like me or anyone seeking good accommodation serving the Dalston, Kingsland, southside of Stoke Newington catchment but with close proximity to central London networks. Plus it’s well placed for the many new clubs, bars, and eateries in a vibrant inner-city area including established favourites such as the Hackney Empire, Rio Cinema, Vortex Jazz, and the Arcola Theatre.

Reception shares a ground floor shop front (the former post office) with a Chocolatier, an intriguing touch with a delightful wine and chocolate add on to your visit. Owner and staff of the Avo and the chocolate business couldn’t be nicer and front of house was a pleasure.

Rooms are fully refurbished, modern, air conditioned and with a high spec of fittings and complimentaries, there is even a library of DVD’s at reception for your integrated flatscreen. Good quality bed. Designerish shower room. We loved it. Also the coffee at breakfast was unusually good and although the chocolates from the separate business were pricey they were quite exceptionally yummy.

On the downside the rooms are on the small side, for example about a cat’s length of a passage between the wall and the bed-end in our room requiring a tightrope style of traverse. Corridors and stairs are also of the typical narrow Hackney terrace template but all credit to the Avo for making creative and best use of the structural and space constraints. Also, maybe it was a temporary glitch but Wi Fi worked downstairs but not in the room.

What does need to be addressed however, is the breakfast offering. The absence of a hot breakfast is not in my view a problem but any boutique aspiring establishment serving just a cold selection should be presenting a range of fresh breads and butters, well kept cheeses, well sourced cured meats and smoked fish etc… one variety of toasting bread, cellophane wrapped squares of industrial cheese, mini pats of anchor butter, and one fruit juice just doesn’t cut the mustard! I also sensed that the potential tension between meeting both the morning chocolate business and hotel breakfast needs in the same shared space has yet to be fully sorted.

Not quite achieving overall excellence but certainly very good.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
sunsk8, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Hello,
Thanks so much for your kind review and feedback. We always like to hear what our guests say and absorb their tips. Much appreciated,
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

I waited awhile before doing the review. Firstly, location. The bus is nearly at the door, but we travelled into London central 5 times, and the quickest trip was 45 minutes, the slowest 70 minutes. All out of peak hour. The room we were allocated was extremely small, even after I had asked for a larger room via email. It was one way traffic around the room. We also found it difficult to find good restaurants in the near area. The rooms are air conditioned and were very clean. Internet was also good. The main difficulty was travelling for 1.5 to 2 hours to travel into London central.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear Stephen,
Thanks for taking the time to write a review for us and noting our cleanliness, free internet and new air-conditioning.

We are proud to be based in East London, but for anyone travelling daily to the West End, crossing right through the city can sometimes take time. The bus is scenic, but not the fastest option, so we would have suggested taking the new high-speed train if you had let us know you were unhappy.

I apologise you found our rooms small; we do make it clear during the booking process that some of the rooms are compact. Unfortunately, you actually booked one of these compact rooms, and then later when you asked for a larger one, these had all been taken up already.

Dalston and Hackney are quite trendy foodie-haunts, so again I feel sad that you didn't ask us for restaurant recommendations, as we have some great ones (and even link to these on our own website). I hope at least you had a chance to sample from our in-house organic Chocolate Laboratory :)

We do hope you come visit again. Now that you have told us what your issues are, we will be able next time to help you with your specific requests,
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying in this hidden gem this week. The hotel is close to London Transport overground stations and also a few minutes walk to Hackney Downes railway station.The rooms are spotlessly cleaned every day with tea coffee and fresh water in abundance. Rooms very comfortable with heating and fully air conditioned .The staff were very helpful and attentive,

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Hi Charles,
Thanks so much for your kind review. We're so delighted you enjoyed your stay and found our staff attentive to your needs. We work hard to keep our guests happy and it's great that you enjoyed your time here!
See you again soon,
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

What can I say other then this was a great place to stay. It is a boutique hotel full of charm. It's quirky, cute with buckets of character. One of the highlights of our stay were the realy friendly staff. They couldn't be more helpful and gave us loads of info about the local area. This is a family business and you feel welcome the minute you step through the door. Rooms are clean and nicely decorated. The beds are very comfortable. The bathroom was pristine with a big shower. There are lovely soft towels, bathrobes and slippers in the bedrooms. We stayed on the top floor which has a double bed and a sofa bed. Steep narrow stairs, so if you have mobility issues this might not be the place for you. The reception is also a little chocolate shop/cafe. They do a great sweet or savoury pancake brunch. The staff here were lovely too. East London is a great spot. You have easy access to the city centre but are far enough out of the tourist areas to experience the real London. Nearby areas like Hackney, Dalston, Angle and Shorditch are all great places to wet the beak, have a bite to eat or laze around in one of the many parks. All I can say is enjoy, I know we did.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
sunsk8, Manager at Avo Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2012
Dear Kate,
Was lovely meeting you - and I hope you enjoyed the visit to your brother!
Thanks for taking the time to write us a review - it's very nice of you :)
Hope to see all three of you again soon,
Sunny

Been to Avo Hotel? Share your experiences!