“Best place ever !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Swan Private

Swan Private
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Swan Private
You added Swan Private to your Saves list
17 Thornton Avenue, London W4 1QE, England (Formerly Chiswick)   |
Ranked #238 of 524 London B&B and Inns
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Best place ever !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Went here in July, this place is amazing very well presented by a great family Sheila and the family are a lovely family who make you feel welcome and do a very very good job of running a guest house b&b I can't imagine how much work goes into what they do but they do a very good job of it, the breakfast was very nice just enough to give you a start for the day and the price for london was great value very affordable the rooms are clean and tidy sorry factual5 had a bad experience but I can honestly say I didn't I loved it and will return, I know a resteraunt up my way which won't serve breakfasts after it's time no matter what perhaps its buisness these days if we don't accept it we have to find somewhere else as other people will use the facilities hoping to be back there in october actually I have unfinished places to visit in london that I didn't get chance to goto this time

Room Tip: the top floor rooms 9 and 10 are rediculously hot in hot weather as all the heat rises ask if you ca...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Swan Guest House on New Year’s Eve. We were advised on booking that it was room only as breakfast would not be available which was fine – plenty of places within a few minutes’ walk.

Very friendly lady arranged the time for me to collect the room key. The room was on the ground floor and en suite. The room was basic, clean and comfortable in a quiet street and close to Chiswick High Road.

If driving be warned that residents parking restrictions apply in the area and parking would be difficult – you would need to check before booking. If traveling by train & tube the guest house is a very short distance from Turnham Green on the District Line and just in Zone 2.

Chiswick is a lovely area with excellent shops and restaurants and has a real ‘village’ feel to it. Chiswick House is well worth a visit. A hidden gem of a pub/restaurant is the Copper Cow, 2 Fauconberg Road, Chiswick, W4 3JY. Bit off the beaten track but worth it. You can the E3 bus from outside Turnham Green Station & get off at the end of Fauconberg Road. Same stop for Chiswick House.

Would I stay at the Swan Guest House again – YES.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
west midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Enjoyed a lovely 2 night stay with breakfast made to order. comfortable room on a very nice quiet street.tea and coffee making facilities on the room en suite.Very friendly staff.just few mins walk from chiswick high st. would definately consider staying here again.Very near to turnham green station.

Room Tip: ask for ensuite
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

I've known of The Swan for some time, and have been a guest a number of times over some years. It's a best budget accommodation place in London that I'd thought was reliable, pleasant enough and worth the low rate. Having said that, times I stayed prior to this last visit I was lucky enough to be in the small front single room which has double doors to a tiny balcony (big enough for a chair) onto the quiet, pleasant street with its lovely old trees. That room has a wash basin which has drinking water also, and I enjoyed connecting my portable DVD player to the room's little TV for entertainment.

I only booked a few days before going, this visit. I stayed in a triple room which had a double bed and a single. I'd say both it was OK and it was fine. Decor old fashioned, but clean, basic and fine. There was a RC TV. The price is £30 per night for one person including breakfast (shared bathroom and shower at this rate, of course). Of course, for London this price is something very worth knowing about for last minute visits, for longer visits, for saving money, for telling people who want cheap accommodation in London. As well as the high price for somewhere to stay in London, usually, there goes with that a kind of quiet fuss in visiting the capital, which is just as annoying as the price. So finding decent budget places is a good idea.

On this two day visit, Friday and Saturday nights, I was greeted by a young woman. I was brought to the room and was told that breakfast in the morning was at 9 to 10. I was surprised by the late start, and wanted to be leaving the place by 9 the next morning as I'd a ticket to the R.H.S. Chelsea Flower Show. Though, I supposed that was just the times at the weekends. However, I was very ill during the night, had a late start, and so didn't make myself rush for a 9 a.m. breakfast, getting down there at around 10 minutes before 10 a.m.

Here I saw and said Hi to the older lady who runs the place, and she managed to say Hello, but looked through me. I felt strange asking for breakfast, as if that wasn't what happened in this place I've enjoyed breakfast in before. I was told that breakfast had finished at 9 a.m. and I had missed it. I explained what I had been told the night before, and the woman made surprised and bemused noises, expressing oddness, then saying that, no, breakfast had finished. I was annoyed and there was no apology forthcoming, for it had been the establishment's information I was relying on. Guests don't set its breakfast times, I've not known guests to do that kind of thing anywhere. Anyway, then, I was feeling annoyed and found it difficult to blurt out a question of if they had any coffee or anything, while at the same time the woman told me she could do egg for me.

So that wasn't too bad, I got egg and toast and there was some coffee, and I cheered up a bit. Though, in my experience the next morning, breakfast is usually good sized - even though I'm vegetarian, for breakfast I could also have had cooked tomatoes, orange juice and pieces of fruit as well, while others were having meat. The standard breakfast, when served, is good - very nice, very good value.

But I was most disappointed that the establishment didn't think they ought to apologise in the circumstances, then or at anytime during my stay. Because it was an annoying to come across - given the wrong time, being eyed suspiciously, receiving a reduced breakfast and then no apology at all. Indeed the manner was that it seemed to me it might be felt I ought to be grateful for getting any breakfast that morning.

Then, while I was late for getting to the plant exhibition in Chelsea, The Swan didn't recognise my Northern Irish banknotes. I didn't really complain, as most people in England don't see them so much, but they are standard sterling notes of UK and as normal, legal tender as any. I realise now a hotel or guest house ought to know them. There are bank websites giving all legal tender notes. I had to go out to a bank on this Saturday morning and queue for some time to exchange them to English bills, and return to pay, making me later still for the event.

But, after the breakfast thing, why I can't give any more than 2 stars is that the place seems to forbid washing oneself after a morning shower, or at all if you want or have to lie in. There were a number of notices up on the walls saying that guests are not allowed to shower after 11 a.m. I wondered if I could possibly be mistaken in the meaning here, if it could mean something straightforward, that you could attribute to any kind of modern accommodation place at all, but, no it was plain and blunt. You get a morning shower, if you go before 11, and then the showers are off limits, by the management's directions.

So that's why I can't give any more than 2 stars anyway, and I know many would sympathise with 1 star out of 5 for this place. It's not acceptable. Despite the low price, that it's a short walk from an underground station not too far out, beside loads of good cafes, bars, restaurants and some shops in Chiswick, and a park, it's just unnacceptable.

Barmy place. I can't see I'd return except if stuck.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo

Been to Swan Private? Share your experiences!