“Unexpected delight” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Imperial London

Grand Imperial London
101 Buckingham Palace Road, London SW1W 0SJ, England (Westminster)
(020) 7821 8898
Dining options: Late Night Food, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Westminster
“Unexpected delight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have just returned from a superb lunch at the Grand Imperial. When booking I didn't know what to expect since my knowledge of Chinese cuisine is somewhat limited.

On arrival, we were shown into a large,elegant, dining room which was/is part of the Grosvenor Hotel (in itself a magnificent building) right next to Victoria Station. A smiling young waiter showed us to our seats and within seconds the menu and wine list had arrived. (As an aside, chopsticks are provided but after the great flying strawberry incident of 1992, I elected to use the standard knife and fork!)

We were going for a 'special' lobster deal which included a glass of very nice Champagne. The large, whole lobster (between two) was perfectly cooked with spring onion and ginger and cut into chunks, including the shell. This could have been a bit disconcerting but we just 'went for it' with our fingers (don't worry - a wet flannel is provided).To accompany, we opted for the crispy noodles and seafood. This was another revelation with plenty of scallops and squid along with pak choi and other vegetables. Gorgeous! The waiter suggested a Sauvignon Blanc to accompany the food which we had by the glass so we didn't see the bottle. I thought it might have been a New Zealand Malborough (one of my favourites), it was that good.

For dessert we had a Mango and Rhubarb pudding. This was served in a 1920's style cocktail glass and consisted of a kind of Mango 'blancmange' (I'm not describing this very well!) over a Rhubarb jelly. The waiter suggested that one between two would be enough and he was right - not because it wasn't nice (it was delicious) but because of it's size. This was followed by double espresso to finish the meal.

All the staff are very friendly and helpful, service is efficient yet unobtrusive and the overall cost is very reasonable. Would I go again? In a heartbeat! In fact I am going to treat some friends to a meal there. If my experience is the norm, I whole heartedly recommend it. I cannot imagine a better Cantonese restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Oxford, United Kingdom
“Lobster lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had the speciality of the house is lobster in a spring onion and chive sauce - quite excellent.

The ambience is sleek and service good. Recommended

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Don't have Soda and Lime!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

My friend and I had a very nice meal at this restaurant via Toptable on a 'special offer' for January which was 2 courses for £15 - perfect we thought! The food was lovely and the service was good despite the table being wedged up against the till. Both of us were trying to be very good and refrain from alcohol so ordered a soda and lime at the bar for my friend and then we both had soda and lime again at the table. When the bill arrived we were pretty shocked to find that 3 glasses (and I mean glasses, not pints) came to around £15.75 - I actually double took as I thought they had given us somebody else's bill. Obviously we complained and £5.00 was removed but we still paid just over £10.00 for what essentially costs next to nothing in a bar. To make matters worse, you could hear them talking about us complaining as we left, despite the fact we don't speak Cantonese..!!

Great food and pretty snappy service but don't order a soda and lime - it's more expensive than the meal!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Only ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

One of the planned meals on our company trip. I usually like Asian food very much and I was not very impressed. It seemed like a fine dining restaurant from the decor/atmosphere but the food was only so-so.

Visited January 2013
“Have the Peking duck”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The staff are Mandarin so adds to the authenticity of the restaurant. The staff are lovely and polite, the table linen and service is excellent. We had the Peking duck where they wheel it over and slice infront of you. Worth checking out Top Table as they often have offers on. This place is lovely and a tranquil haven considering you are right on Victoria Train Stations doorstep.

Visited November 2012