“OK if you have get a cheap deal – but not worth it if you pay full price.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Gurkhas Flavour

The Gurkhas Flavour
297A Stanstead Road, Forest Hill | Forest Hill, London SE23 1JB, England
020 8314 0614
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Gurkhas Flavour is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2,946 of 17,929 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Description: The Gurkha���s Flavour Indian and Nepalese restaurant in London���s Forest Hill is an award-winning restaurant with a relaxed, friendly ambience. The chef, Mr Aryal, Curry Chef of the Year��� in 2010, has learned his art over many years from some of the best chefs anywhere, including Michelin-starred Alfred Parsad of Tamarind. The restaurant is decorated in colonial-inspired style with dark wood panelling and seating, white table linens and authentic objets. The menu features not only your favourite Indian dishes, but also rare specialties like masu bhutuwa, kukhura aloo and somfu masu with their authentic Nepalese spicing. The Gurkha���s Flavour uses only the best ingredients of the highest quality to create simple, fresh, inventive Nepalese and Indian cuisine and is now a huge local success.
Warlingham, United Kingdom
“OK if you have get a cheap deal – but not worth it if you pay full price.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We purchased discount vouchers for the Gurkhas Flavour in Forest Hill and were really pleased with the fantastically cheap deal we got. The restaurant is certainly not in a popular eateries location and is small (only 6 tables – 18 places) and not that well-appointed. Service was a bit slow as there was only one waiter serving the whole of the restaurant. Nevertheless our deal for two starters, two mains, two drinks and two sides was exceptionally good value at twelve pounds for us both. The food was tasty and slightly different to the normal Indian fare, but the portions were not that generous – but I suppose you cannot grumble when you have only paid just over a fiver each for the whole meal. I would have been really disappointed if we had to pay the menu prices for our selection – but as we didn’t there was little to complain about. If you get a deal give it a try, but otherwise it is an average Indian restaurant in a dismal area serving small portions. In summary I would prefer to pay a little more to get better ambience and food – that may not be your conclusion.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

London, United Kingdom
“Best takeaway in forest hill area - by miles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We've been regulars for four years now, and I have to say the food on offer is fantastic. I usually have the Gurkha chicken, it is amazing. They are un-faillingly polite, to the point of calling up after a delivery to check we were happy with everything!
Good size portions, nice breads, just not sure about Nepalese beer!

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“OK its not a fancy restaurant but food was good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I went to this restaurant last night with my wife. We had bought a voucher from Time Out for £15 excellent value 2 starters can recommend veg momo 2 mains and 2 sides with a drink such as wine or beer. Small restaurant nothing fancy reminded us of Kathmandu actually. Waiter was friendly and helpful did not have to wait for food. Food was very nice I had a prawn karahi and my wife had a lamb traditional dish - excellent naan. I would go again at full price. It's not situated in the best area of London but nothing scary. Thanks Gurkhas Flavour for a nice evening out.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Ridiculous!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

I purchased a wowcher deal online, checked the reviews online before I purchased, and was ensured this restaurant would be brilliant- Wrong! Me and my friend arrived and was seated, we had to wait 10 minutes for our menus, in that time a group of four arrived, they waited for the table to be prepared, then sat and received menus- we were still waiting. After ordering we received our starters 20 minutes later, then our mains 1hour and 10 minutes after arrival! There were no apolgies during this period. I ordered the chicken korma, now if you love korma like me, you will never want to try there's! I'm sure there was no coconut in it at all! Disappointed is not the word! I do not recommend this restaurant to any one!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Authentic, fresh & recommended”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We were very impressed with the quality of the food here at GP's particular emphasis is placed on fresh herbs and spices. My starter (momo) was a delicate steamed dumpling that took 15 mins to make but was definitly worth it. My partner had the green Fish curry made with Tilapia and was to die for. Delicate fluffy fish in a creamy corainder and mint sauce, each element was easy to recogise. My Nepalese lamb dish was very tender and had a depth of flavour I'd not had before, absolutely delicious. The little use of oil showed through as all our dishes were light and flavoursome. Wild rice is a nice touch as is the refreshing Nepalese beer. The surroundings have seen better days and it's not in the best part of town but the standard of cooking is high and well worth making the effort to travel. The service was attentive and friendly. We are looking forward to our return visit. Steve & Michelle.

• Visited August 2012