“Quality fish restaurant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Geales - Chelsea

Geales - Chelsea
1 Cale Street, London SW3 3QT, England (Westminster / Belgravia)
020-7965 0555
Neighborhood: Westminster / Belgravia
London, United Kingdom
“Quality fish restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We dropped in on the spur of the moment. This is a quietly situated speciality restaurant on Cale Street, just behind King's Road. If you don't know the area you would find it hard to come across it by accident however, it's well worth a detour if you want to eat some top quality fish in genteel surroundings. We had the beer battered cod and chips (for which they are deservedly known) and grilled plaice. We finished with a rather moor-ish chocolate brownie. The service was fine. It's not especially cheap but then you pay for what you get and we felt it well justified.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Mitcham, surrey
“The best cod and chips I have ever tasted - and I am old!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

My wife and I ate here on Sunday lunchtime and had a great table in the window overlooking Markham Street. It was amazing the number of people who passed by and gave us a smile! The restaurant is excellently presented with crisp white tablecloths over black and white ginham covers. Nathan, front of house, was knowledgeable and friendly and took us through what was on offer. The house salad starter was fresh and clean and was a perfect start although I am determined to have the soft shell crab on my next visit as it looked so incredibly appetising when served at another table. We both had the cod and chips main which was without doubt the best I have ever tasted, the fish was cooked to perfection and the batter was crisp, light and golden. Chips were crisp and fresh with a soft fluffy middle. Dessert of sticky toffee pudding was great with a light sponge and subtle caramel sauce with caramelised banana and vanilla ice cream. Service was relaxed and attentive without being overpowering and it was a real pleasure to spend time with Nathan who is interesting and interested! We cannot recommend highly enough and will certainly return.

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hertfordshire
“Won't be going back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Been here a couple of times but afraid won't be going back. On both occasions it was very quiet, the service was poor. My fish arrived and wasn't cook properly, it was taken away and returned by the waitress without any apologies.

• Visited August 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Oh Dear!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Despite mixed reviews I thought my wife and I would give it a go as part of our habit of trying 'local' restaurants in London. I have to say I had reservations when entering to see the restaurant was 80% empty at 8.00pm on a Saturday. Sadly I can see why. The food is overpriced for what it is with even battered haddock requiring one to buy a side order of chips at £3,50-no peas, no salad and no bread. The fish was thin and over battered and my wife's mussels were the size of a starter in most restaurants. Definitely a situation where less is more does not apply.
The service was friendly but in a chummy rather than professional manner which was not a problem given the ambience of the room (i.e. empty).
I have the awful impression that the locals have given up on this eatery and if that is the case the writing is on the wall and I had the uneasy impression the staff thought this as well.
It may have been an off night and I hate writing negative reviews but the contrast between Geales and the buzzy, filled to the rafters 'Toms Kitchen' 100 yards up the road could not have been more marked. There is always a place for a good local restaurant and I just think Geales has lost it's way particularl in it's pricing and presentation.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
SCOTTSDALE
“Geales Chelsea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

Sometimes you just get lucky in finding good places to eat. We happened to be helping a friend get settled in Chelsea. We walked by and saw fish and chips was a feature. As Americans we probably should not get in the middle of that "discussion"!!!!! They are terrific!!!!
They are so much more than fish and chips. We enjoyed the experience so much we ate there three more times.
The staff is professional and accommodating with almost any request(see we are Americans above)
London is not inexpensive, but value for cost is what Geales delivers.

• Visited October 2013