“Cheers!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Steam Engine

You added The Steam Engine to your Saves list
The Steam Engine
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   41-42 Cosser Street | Southbank, London SE1 7BU , England (Waterloo / South Bank / Southwark)   |
Ranked #119 of 662 Specialty Lodging in London
Michigan
“Cheers!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I just completed a 5 night stay at The Steam Engine and would highly recommend it. The building itself was adorable - bar (with also served pizza) downstairs and sleeping area upstairs. The staff is great - they even got us checked in early the day we arrived since we were dead on our feet so we could sleep. Location is very good. Close to a tube station, Big Ben/Buckingham Palace, SOHO area. And the bar downstairs is a great hangout and we meet a lot of cool people.

Only MINOR negatives to note: rooms are a little small with 12 people and all the luggage (but honestly, how much time do you spend in there?) but I felt completely safe leaving my bag out. Also, there are only 2 showers for three rooms of people, but I had hot water each time and timing was never really an issue if you are careful.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

My friend and I had a short stay at the Steam Engine before starting our tour, but it was very pleasant. The room had several bunk beds (I took the middle bunk), but they were clean and occupied by other Canadians as well (surprisingly). I did not feel like my luggage was in any danger of being stolen as can be the case for other hostels. You are also able to store your luggage in a locked room during the day.

I did not think that I would enjoy the hostel life as much as I did. We met many amazing people while staying at the Steam Engine which also doubles as a local pub. The bartenders there (Daniel and Rense) were also very friendly and made the stay more fun! Shout out to them (thank you again Daniel for the tour!) :)

From the good drinks and friendly service hopefully you're stay at the Steam Engine is as pleasant as mine!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I stayed here for two nights and it was excellent! The people at the bar were very nice folks! The food that they make is great! I am a student on low budget so this option made a lot of sense. It is very closed to the London Eye. You can walk to Soho (bar/club area)! The bed situation is interesting because there are 12 beds in a room, but it all works out well! Wifi and lockers were available!

• Stayed March 2013
Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

I spent one night at this hostel and however I was a little bit reluctant I must say I left with a very possitve impresion.
The hostel is well located, even though the street is a bit odd. It´s about 20 minutres walking from th Parlament.
The rooms are clean and spacious and the shared facilities too. As a but i will say that showers are very few and you might have to wait.
Breakfast is included, basic, but ok for the price, toast, jam, cereals and hot drinks.
There is a lively bar downstairs where locals and backpackers meet.
The hostel is very secure and lockers are provided in the room.
Overall I recomend it as the price is fairly cheap bearing in mind you are in London and the place fulfills all your necesities

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Madrid, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

The hostel has a really great location and the staff are very nice, however the bedroom is too small and the triple bed is kind of dangerous if you are not used to this. There are only 2 bathrooms in the hostel, and only one has a good shower with hot water. Despite these facts, the hostel was worth it because of its location and the pub that was very nice and had a delicious pizza! I would recomend it for anyone who is not too fancy :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Stayed here for a week in a 9 bed dorm, considering this the amount of sleep we got wasn't bad. The beds were comfy, however the room was pretty cramped. The complimentary breakfast to start the day was a definite plus, as was the access to the bar downstairs and close proximity to Lambeth north station, as well as a lot of the main sights of London. Hygiene level in the bathrooms was average, but good enough to put up with.
Staff were pretty friendly though there wasn't a whole heap of presence from them up in the actual hostel! Overall not a bad stay, and would probs stay there again!

• Stayed December 2012
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I stayed here in February 2011, I enjoyed my stay as it was so close to everything. literally 5 minutes to the big ben & london eye. The staff were really nice and helpful. The breakfast is pretty standard- just like all hostels. I made some friends during the breakfast peak which was good. The pub is a great place to meet people. There are lockers in the rooms which was a plus. They let me store my luggage for free all day after check out. I came back and picked up my stuff around 5pm so that was also really nice! Considering how cheap this place is, I think it's great value for money.
The only thing which was a con was that the beds are triple bunks, so you'd be seriously unlucky if you got the middle or bottom. I was just lucky and got the top bunk.
I'm a female and I travelled solo.

Room Tip: Request top bunk!