“Excellent Italian, close to major shopping district” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7,321 of 17,939 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Doing business
Good for: Doing business
“Excellent Italian, close to major shopping district”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

I wouldn't normally expect to find this high quality a restaurant just a block or two away from a major shopping/ tourist area ( Oxford Street ), but on a recent trip to London, my wife and I were out walking and had a hankering for Italian food, and stumbled across Prezzo. The atmosphere is charming, service was excellent and the pasta was very good - generous portions, steaming hot and very flavourful. I had the Carbonara, and my wife's pasta dish has lobster in it ( and plenty of it). Prices were reasonable as well.

Visited December 2013

UK
“Bustling place with good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

We went for supper at 7.30pm, and the place was very busy (trade fell away sharply after 8pm).
The dishes available were limited (see below), and so we both ordered the goat's cheese al forno. This was really excellent, piping hot - freshly prepared - and with lots of cheese, and lashings of parmesan added at the table. The service was friendly and efficient, and we couldn't believe how quickly we were served.

The only drawback was the availability of menu items. When we arrived (7.30pm) we were told there was no pizza available. Before we left, other diners were being told that a number of other items were also unavailable. It seems there was a significant shortage of ingredients. One member of staff told us that a delivery had failed to turn up - another told us that they had simply been very very busy. We don't know which was correct - but if you want a particular dish it might be worth checking that it is available before you settle in.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Ascot, United Kingdom
“A very pleasant surprise.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We went in search of Italian food in Oxford Street early on New Year's eve. Having not made a booking it was no surprise to be turned away by the always excellent North Audley Street Spaghetti House. But all was not lost! There was room for the four of us at Prezzo, just a few yards away – a pizza dough's throw from Oxford Street. The atmosphere is more 'high street chain' than 'Mama's family restaurant' so we were taken aback by the excellent, friendly, rapid service from our italian waitress and by the good, well-prepared fresh food. A perfectly quaffable bottle of Montepulciano d'Abruzzo arrived at our table with a reasonable price tag of £16. My pizza Vesuvio was aptly named. Hot, sweet red chillis adorned a generous sized, thickish pizza base peppered with pepperoni and mozzarella. This was an Italian rather than British pizza – excellent. Karen's lasagne was delicious. Pete had a fine, rare minute steak and Katie had one of the chicken breast dishes which she said was terrific. Had I not been watching my waistline I'd have gone for the panettone bread and butter pudding... but as Katie's concerns are not so great, she had the bombolini (doughnuts)... And actually that was a shame, as they were a little undercooked and sticky inside. But the overall experience was very good indeed and, at £20 a head, not unreasonable.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
cheshire, England
“Great location-Good food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

Had lunch here whilst Christmas shopping mid December.We had not booked but were quickly seated in the downstairs restaurant. I was pleasantly surprised by both the food and service because it is a chain, however both were very good. We had garlic bread (lots of garlic!) which was delicous, followed by salmon tagliatelli in a creamy sauce (lots of salmon!) and ice cream for dessert, all washed down with a couple of glasses of Chardonnay...Lovely! and excellent value for money!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Dreadful service, good location.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013 via mobile

I booked in for my staff Christmas for 10 people a month before the event and booked the side/private room. We had a conversation about how important it was for us to have the side room and asked for it to be noted in the booking form. The day before the meal I called them to confirm the booking.

When we arrived, there were people in the room we booked and they claimed no record of our booking. The waitress actually said that we couldn't have made the booking because she was working that day. When I showed her the call on my phone, she maintained that I couldn't have made the booking and became very surly.

We were finally offered a seat in the basement and when I suggested a free bottle of prosecco to make up for it, it was ignored. The waitress finally relented when we complained again.

I wouldn't mind as much if the same thing hadn't happened the year before (although on that occasion they moved the others from the room).

The food is fine and reasonable value and the location is good but the service is totally unreliable and surly. Almost ruined our meal and we will go somewhere else next year.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere