“Great location....not matched by the service....” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Barkston Rooms

and 1 more site!
You added Barkston Rooms to your Saves list
Barkston Rooms
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   1 Barkston Gardens, London SW5 0ER, England (South Kensington)   |
Ranked #512 of 684 Specialty Lodging in London
“Great location....not matched by the service....”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

You get what you pay for....so very cheap and really well located. Out of the 3 staff we encountered one was helpful, one definitely not willing to help, and one very rude. Otherwise, good place to keep costs down.

• Stayed May 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Polish first
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2012

Quad room was really tiny, sheets were clean, beds comfortable. Bathrooms and toilet were disgusting (hair on the floor etc...). Kitchen without any equipment (only noise microwave). We stayed for 3 days and each day there was a different receptionist (one of them was flirting each of us). Earl´s Court is a great location. Going to visit London again this year, but not in this hostel. I am a budget traveller, but this one i "too much" for me...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

First off, all of my ratings are based on the fact that you pay under £15 for a night in central London most of the time. For this money you get a comfortable albeit squeaky bed for the night, a room situated 2 minutes walk from an underground station and many places to eat (I recommend the Gourmet Burger Bar round the corner) and the opportunity to meet fascinating people from around the world. If you are picky enough to let little things like writing on a few of the walls bother you then you're going to wrong place. While I can't speak for the rest of the rooms, my room (3505) had all the essentials, easy access to the shower and a very nice view. At the end of the day all you're paying for is a place to rest your head at night and you get that plus friendly service and a rare opportunity to talk to people from around the world on a personal level. I highly recommend if you are a student, traveller or businessman in need of a pitstop.

• Stayed April 2012
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

Staying at this hostel was one of the worst thing ive ever paied for. The rooms were small, dirty, and the beds were lousy and noisy. The toilets are very disgusting, and some of them have big problems flushing. The showers are so filthy that i didnt feel much cleaner after using them.
The security at the hostel sucks, they have no control with who they are giving out keys to - twice they were close to give me a keycard to the wrong room. Also some of the keys can be used to one than more room.. Maybe thats the reason that we had visit from the police twice during our stay - a mac was stolen from a locked room, and a guy came into our rooms during the nights and stole money.

The only positive things i can mention is the location, Earls Court station and a lot of fastfood places etc is not more than 5 minutes away.

So if you dont care about being secure, a good night sleep and the sanitary conditions and just want to be close to London City and want to make noise all night go stay on this hostel. But otherwise just stay away - at least i will.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2012

Booked a single room with shared bathroom. The bathroom was a disgrace, filthy and as it was shared it seemed to be in constant use by whoever walked via the corridor, urine and tissues on the floor and wasn't cleaned during my time there. The room itself was large, clean and the only furnishing was the bed, nothing else not even a coat hanger. The shower struggled with hot water, and at best it was tepid. Staff were friendly, bed had clean linen. I paid 110 for 4 nights, and to be honest I could have got a 2star hotel with breakfast in earls court for around 140 and less. So.. not so cheap. Sometimes it is best to leave the booking until the very morning and do a search online for the discounted rooms. If that fails do a walk in to this hostel.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the main corridor 'in and out' if you want a good night sleep as the...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Cheltenham, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

The hostel is fine. It does the job you ask of it. How the hell people can come on here and complain I don't know! You chose to stay here, it is £15 a night! If you wanted clean spacious bathrooms and better facilities then stay at a more expensive hotel! My single room was fine - decent size, had a sink for washing, bed was comfy and clean and the location is fantastic. 2 mins from Earls Court tube. I got my room on booking.com for £15. Amazing value for London. Sure, the rooms were basic and my door didn't lock, but the friendly staff would have sorted that problem. All in all, it fulfils it's task as a place to bed down. I wouldn't stay more than a night or two, but I would stay again for a stopover. Close to shops and restaurants too.

• Stayed January 2012
Regina, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

I was very disappointed with this place. A friend of mine had booked a room for me here because of the location. When I arrived it looked okay, a bit dirty but okay. I proceeded to check in, was vaguely told the way to my room. After a search I finally found it and dragged my suitcase up the three flights of stairs. When I saw the door, the handle was held on by plaster. Classy. I opened the door and was welcomed with a foul smell and dirty sheets. I was a little put off by this but, I thought that I could deal with it. I went to find the bathroom. I found it but, there was a sign on the door stating that it was out of order. This bathroom served the entire floor I was on. In order for me to even have a shower I would have to walk through half the hostel.
I was trying to ignore the uneasy feeling I had while I was in here. I didn't feel safe, I even locked my suitcase once I dropped my things off. I'm alone, in a foreign country and just wanted a place to sleep and shower safely. This was what made me decide to return my key and find a hotel.
So I returned my key and said I found a different place to stay. The front desk clerk became very stand-off-ish and gave me a bit of trouble. He returned my 10GBP key deposit but then stated in a very stern voice that he was keeping my 28GBP. I hadn't even been in this place for over an hour. There wasn't anything stating policies of cancellations. I wasn't expecting to get all of my money back but I thought because I had only been there for such little time that I would get some of it back.
Instead of fighting for what translated into around $50.00 CAN, I just left and found a lovely hotel room. Which was everything this place wasn't.
I do not recommend this place, there are other hostels with a better rating and probably much cleaner in London. Just remember, you get what you pay for. If its cheap the place probably is as well.
The one pro about this place is the location. Earl's Court is a beautiful place, with its victorian style facades, bounty of pubs and other food places and extremely close to the Metro.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. The room smelt The room wasn't clean The staff was unwelcoming
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Been to Barkston Rooms? Share your experiences!