“How can people have the audacity to complain?!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Barkston Rooms

and 1 more site!
You added Barkston Rooms to your Saves list
Barkston Rooms
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   1 Barkston Gardens, London SW5 0ER, England (South Kensington)   |
Ranked #522 of 684 Specialty Lodging in London
Cheltenham, UK
“How can people have the audacity to complain?!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

The hostel is fine. It does the job you ask of it. How the hell people can come on here and complain I don't know! You chose to stay here, it is £15 a night! If you wanted clean spacious bathrooms and better facilities then stay at a more expensive hotel! My single room was fine - decent size, had a sink for washing, bed was comfy and clean and the location is fantastic. 2 mins from Earls Court tube. I got my room on booking.com for £15. Amazing value for London. Sure, the rooms were basic and my door didn't lock, but the friendly staff would have sorted that problem. All in all, it fulfils it's task as a place to bed down. I wouldn't stay more than a night or two, but I would stay again for a stopover. Close to shops and restaurants too.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
Regina, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

I was very disappointed with this place. A friend of mine had booked a room for me here because of the location. When I arrived it looked okay, a bit dirty but okay. I proceeded to check in, was vaguely told the way to my room. After a search I finally found it and dragged my suitcase up the three flights of stairs. When I saw the door, the handle was held on by plaster. Classy. I opened the door and was welcomed with a foul smell and dirty sheets. I was a little put off by this but, I thought that I could deal with it. I went to find the bathroom. I found it but, there was a sign on the door stating that it was out of order. This bathroom served the entire floor I was on. In order for me to even have a shower I would have to walk through half the hostel.
I was trying to ignore the uneasy feeling I had while I was in here. I didn't feel safe, I even locked my suitcase once I dropped my things off. I'm alone, in a foreign country and just wanted a place to sleep and shower safely. This was what made me decide to return my key and find a hotel.
So I returned my key and said I found a different place to stay. The front desk clerk became very stand-off-ish and gave me a bit of trouble. He returned my 10GBP key deposit but then stated in a very stern voice that he was keeping my 28GBP. I hadn't even been in this place for over an hour. There wasn't anything stating policies of cancellations. I wasn't expecting to get all of my money back but I thought because I had only been there for such little time that I would get some of it back.
Instead of fighting for what translated into around $50.00 CAN, I just left and found a lovely hotel room. Which was everything this place wasn't.
I do not recommend this place, there are other hostels with a better rating and probably much cleaner in London. Just remember, you get what you pay for. If its cheap the place probably is as well.
The one pro about this place is the location. Earl's Court is a beautiful place, with its victorian style facades, bounty of pubs and other food places and extremely close to the Metro.

Room Tip: Don't stay here. The room smelt The room wasn't clean The staff was unwelcoming
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Guernsey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I stayed in this youth hostel in earls court london i has a single room and i thought it was very good value for money :-) and the other bonus was that were my room was on the top floor it was quite peaceful. I would stay there again,

Room Tip: Internet in room if you buy a internet card
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

Stayed here in a dorm for 1 night.

Pros:
-Friendly staff
-Nice neighborhood not far from attractions (20mins or less tube)
-2 minutes from subway
-Fairly clean rooms
-I paid 9GBP for a room for a night! Very cheap
-Met some friendly people who invited me out (a young crowd)

Cons:
-Shared bathrooms were filthy, wet floors (wear sandals or shoes dear god)
-No free computers
-Though there is a kitchen no cups, utensils (forks etc..) are available

Cute birds in the lobby

Room Tip: If you're a female ask for 1101 it's off of the reception desk so quieter and has a really c...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

I lived in the dormitorium and in the single room and it was not bad! Rooms are very clean. And I have a great view from the balcony. Staff are really friendly and helpful. Furniture was very old, but if you have a rest with your friend and have not a big money this hostel good choise. Also Earls Court is a great district. Near to tube and to the centre of London.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

The guys who worked there helped us with anything we needed: where to go grocery shopping to directions to the tube to obtaining silverware. The rooms weren't too great and the mattress was admittedly quite thin, but the location was great. Earls Court had a very nice feel to it with cozy pubs and shops and even a nice park to walk in and relax just a short walk away. And the tube is right there so when you're bored of Earls Court you can explore all of London.
Cheap, nice staff, great location.

• Stayed May 2011
Oslo, Norway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

We stayed to nights in the hostel. It is a youth-hostel, and look that way but we had all the things we needed. The price is good and the personell was SO serviceminded and nice. Arranged all wantet transport, internett....etc. We had all the things we needed. Beacasuse of this I`will recomend the place, and it is also very close to the Earls Court Sub Way, wich is important.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Barkston Rooms? Share your experiences!