“Exceptionally fine hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Rubens at the Palace

Save Saved
You added The Rubens at the Palace to your Saves list
The Rubens at the Palace
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Buckingham Palace Road | Victoria, London SW1W 0PS, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Offer
4 nights for 3
Ranked #49 of 1,055 Hotels in London
San Diego, California
“Exceptionally fine hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

From check in to check out, all the staff were exceptionally friendly, professional and helpful. The restaurant was absolutely first class in every respect. We ate all our meals there which is something we generally avoid when staying at any hotel. Excellent location just 5 minutes from Buckingham Palace.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We've previously stayed at the Chesterfield Mayfair and loved it. However, to celebrate our 10th Wedding Anniversary we were unable to book our preferred room rate with them, which is why we decided to try another of the Red Carnation Hotels. We booked direct with Rubens and got their best room rate inclusive of breakfast. We booked an executive room and advised them we were there to celebrate our Wedding Anniversary. Upon arrival, we were checked in by a very pleasant Receptionist who noted it was a special occasion and upgraded us to a Junior Suite, on the 3rd floor. The room was beautifully decorated, the bed huge. Air Conditioning was also a godsend. We'd only been in our room a few moments, when there was a knock at the door, and room service presented us with complimentary chocolates and a card. This was a lovely touch and made us feel very special. Breakfast the next morning was served in the main Restaurant and was delicious. We were really happy with our stay at Rubens and would recommend for a Special Occasion. Thanks for a memorable night.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dalton-in-Furness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

We were fortunate enough to be invited to a Royal Garden Party at Buckingham Palace. Location for this could not be bettered, unless there were any spare rooms in the palace! Commissionaires and reception staff gave a very warm welcome and seemed genuinely interested in the reason for our stay. I had booked for two nights directly online and the website offered inclusive breakfast for booking directly. The reception staff had no record of this but very quickly offered the same rate. This is a lovely old building and was, I believe a Debutante Hostel in a previous life. Our room was on the third floor and we did not have the best of views, but everything was very clean and well equipped. Creaking floorboards merely add to the character. Towels and bathrobes were in excellent condition and made by Christies contrary to a previous reviewers apparent experience. Breakfast was excellent on both days although we were unable to get a table in the restaurant on the second morning, we were quickly accommodated in the bar adjoining.
On the first evening we are at No 41 next door which is owned by the same group so payment can be made to your room. This offers a slightly restricted choice of moderately priced items with a South African flavour. The Cape Malay curry was excellent. On the second evening, still in our garden party finery we ate in the Library Restaurant. The service was excellent and we took the Maître d's advice and shared a Chateaubriand, this was excellent, possibly one of the finest pieces of meat I have ever tasted. Our starters were a duo of smoked salmon carved at the table and a prawn and lobster cocktail, both excellent. The atmosphere in the hotel was very pleasant with many other guests also having attended the Garden Party. The third morning was the day of the State Opening of Parliament, we had taken a tour of the Royal Mews the previous morning and spent a very enjoyable couple of hours sitting in the lounge directly opposite the gates of the Royal Mews watching the preparation and exit of the various carriages. One slight drawback was, because of the road closures for this event we were unable to get a taxi back to the station and had to walk to the nearest tube station, this is nothing to do with the hotel and merely reflects the diabolical London Traffic.
All in all our stay added to what was a very special occasion for us.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

The Rubens Hotel.... where to start.

The whole hotel needs a face lift. It reminded me of a retirement home. the common areas downstairs were so badly decorated. The hotel smelt like vinegar.

The food was by far the worst hotel food I have ever had in my entire life. I would say I have experienced tastier food in backpacker hostels then at the Ruben's kitchen.

The Bathroom in my room looked extremely aged a dirty. there were deep black scratches all over the toilet and bath. the marble was also extremely stained and aged and worn down.
Also the towels and robes looked so tatty and old like they hadn't been replaced in over 20 years. Small things like having fresh looking towels and robes wouldn't cost the hotel much! considering the cheapest room is 220 pounds per night.

Please also hotel management replace the Door card key system. four times a day I would get locked out of my room. so annoying and frustrating for all involved!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens.

I was concerned to read of how disappointed you were with your stay and have addressed each individual point you raised with my managers since receiving your feedback. I was sorry to read that you felt the hotel overall looked a little tired. All public areas of The Rubens have been refurbished in recent years, and a rolling programme is in place to continuously replenish and replace towels and bathrobes to ensure only new stock are in circulation. I am sorry however, that this did not happen as it should during your stay.

I was also sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the quality of food you received. Here at The Rubens, we provide ourselves on the standards of product and service we provide, which makes it all the more disappointing to read that we have let ourselves down on this occasion.

Thank you once again for this feedback and for pointing out areas where improvement can be found and I am sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site but do hope that you will return to The Rubens and give us the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel and us.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry
Redruth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

We stayed at the Rubens for 3 nights, first impression of the hotel was very good. Check in was smooth and easy, we arrived early afternoon and luckily our room was available. Room was very nice (had the red room), room was spacious, beds were very comfy. Robes and slippers in the room was a nice touch. Unfortunately we did not have a view, hopefully next time we would like a room that looks over the Royal Mews!

We had a full English breakfast everyday which was excellent!

The location of the hotel is very good, with it being a couple minutes walk to the tube station (Victoria tube) and a 5 minute walk to Buckingham Palace.

The Concierge team were very friendly and helpful, taxis were available on request.

Overall a very enjoyable stay in London! We will definitely return to this hotel!

Room Tip: A King Room is nice plus ask for a Royal Mews view!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

We spent over a week at the Rubens sister hotel, The Chesterfield Mayfair, several years ago, so we were expecting something similar. This hotel does not compare with the Chesterfield Mayfair. The food was not nearly as good, nor did the service compare favorably. On our last night, in the early hours of the morning, the room above us had a problem with flooding, so we had a shower over the toilet. We called the desk, and they offered to move us to another room, but since we would be checking out in 2 or 3 hours, it did not seem like a very good option. We were told that they would give us a discount on our room for that last night, but later when I checked out, and they discovered that I had prepaid for the room, we were told that no discount could be given, even though we had a sizable bar and restaurant bill. When we originally checked in, the manager greeted us very warmly, but that was it. The service seemed to end there. When we stayed at the Chesterfield Mayfair, we experienced great service. The staff could not do enough for us. Before our visit here, I would have liked to visit all the Red Carnation Hotels. Now, I am not so sure. I would not stay at the Rubens again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
I was sorry to read of your disappointment following your stay with us. I am also sorry that we did not get the opportunity to address any issues during your stay, but I am hopeful that my email to you today will be replied to with some more details that I will be able to investigate with my team. I know that your stay was affected on the last night following a split pipe incident in the room above, and I know despite stopping and repairing this very quickly, there was an impact to your stay.

Once again, I am very sorry that your expectations were not met, and for the disappointing issues related to your stay. We are fortunate to enjoy many guests who stay with us, many enjoying brilliant stays and subsequently sharing their experiences, many of which do so have on Tripadvisor. I am very sorry that we let ourselves down in your eyes on this particular stay. My team and I work so hard towards ensuring all our guests enjoy a great stay with us, and it hurts to know that this was not the case with your own stay.

Kind Regards,

Malcolm Hendry
Dothan, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at The Rubens for our first 3 nights of a two week trip to Great Britain and France. From the moment we arrived we were so pleased with our choice. Lovely room, wonderful service and extremely good breakfast buffet. The location is the closest hotel to Buckingham Palace and is directly across from The Mews, which was very interesting. A special thank you to Tom, Nathan and Paula. Excellent staff and service. Thanks for making our Anniversary and Birthday celebration so special. We look forward to staying at some of your other locations.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to The Rubens at the Palace? Share your experiences!