“Lovely post theatre carvery” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Rubens at the Palace

You added The Rubens at the Palace to your Saves list
The Rubens at the Palace
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Buckingham Palace Road | Victoria, London SW1W 0PS, England (Westminster)   |
Special Offer
4 nights for 3
Ranked #79 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely post theatre carvery”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

Lovely grand hotel, my kids (5 & 7) and i felt like royalty having the door opened and napkins put on our knees etc. staff couldn't do enough, including carrying our plates back to table from the carvery. Very nice food too.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (557)
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

Four of us stayed at the Rubens for a 2 night/3 day visit to London. What a wonderful hotel – we chose it because it had such impressive reviews on Trip Advisor and it certainly didn’t disappoint. A warm reception from all the staff on our arrival and the friendly, helpful service continued throughout our stay. Our rooms were small but very plush and beds extremely comfortable. The hotel is in a great location for sightseeing. We had Afternoon Tea, which was excellent – the sandwiches, scones with cream and jam plus a great selection of cakes (including a whiskey surprise cake) were really more than we could eat but so delicious. (Tip: don’t plan on a large evening meal after experiencing the Afternoon Tea!). Prices on the high side but well worth it. The Rubens deserves its high rating and we will certainly be going back - we loved it.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Xiamen, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2013

I've just had a long Europe trip for 2 months but this hotel is the one which I'm most impressed of. I booked the Rubens hotel through booking.com, but when my friend and I arrived the hotel we didn't know why our booking was made in wrong dates. It was on Sat and we knew that the hotel was so busy. My friend and I were so afraid of getting no rooms in London! But we were so lucky to meet Psyche from reception. She was able to calm us down and we were given free drink vouchers by the time when she created a new booking for us. We felt so warm from her already. It took us long to wait for a room, but Pysche was very professional to let us know about the updates from time to time. Because we wanted a bigger room and the hotel was full, she recommended us to move room the next day and we were happy with it. My friend and I stayed in a King room first: it's less spacious but it made me feel warm in this city - plus Psyche let us know all the directions and emergency contact (because my friend and I are girls), we felt so safe in London because we stayed in Rubens and because of her. The hotel was so convenient to walk along Buckingham Palace and Westminster, it helped me make use of our time so well for day trips. The next day we moved to the African Queen suite - oh it was SO BEAUTIFUL! It faces the gardens of Buckingham palace and the room is like in a forest theme, I never stayed in a room with a theme like this. Especially when we ordered room service every night, we both felt like we were queens! The staff there was so helpful and we forgot the names of the room service guys, but they were very friendly. Our favourite was the Rib eye and we kept ordered it every night. It was so nice to have full breakfast in the hotel first, then to start our days in London. I remember Goshia and she was very friendly and polite. we really enjoyed the breakfast everyday. Because we had a Europe tour and we tried different hotels and b&b across Europe, we both think that the Rubens is the best hotel we've ever stayed. At first I just wanted a room to stay nicely and I could not believe that the staff there can make our stay more special. Even though at first there was a problem from the booking, I not only enjoyed the experience but also got nice staff like Psyche who could make us feel friendly and safe, also Goshia and room services guys made us feel homey and special. We'll do recommend this hotel to every of our friend and anyone who can see my review here.I hope to come back to London to visit Psyche and Goshia when I have time and I'm sure that my other friends will be well taken care of, when they travel far away from London.

Room Tip: The King room I stayed for the first night is less spacious but still very nice, but it's so wor...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

Didn't know what to expect but it was superb from the minute you walk in . Great front of house staff and same in restaurant . All very friendly and made you feel special . Afternoon tea was delicious . Must do again

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

We chose this hotel based upon its location and because of the positive reviews the hotel had received and are pleased to say that it lived up to all of our expectations. The hotel itself is perfectly situated for a sightseeing/shopping trip to London. Our room was clean and very comfortable and sufficiently spacious for 2 adults and a child. However most impressive was the warm and friendly attitude of all staff. They made us feel most welcome and were especially attentive to our 7 year old daughter. We shall most certainly return and would not hesitate to recommend this hotel.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

Four of us had Afternoon Tea. It was excellent. There was a good selection of sandwiches, nicely made and fresh. Two scones each, served warm with cream and Rubens' own very good strawberry jam. Several cakes each, including a cheescake snowman and a whiskey surprise present cake (it being the week before Christmas). A good selection of teas, a glass of good champagne. We were offered more hot water for the tea, and indeed more tea; and more sandwiches, which we couldn't eat as we were pretty full by then. The Lounge where we had the tea was very pleasant, and very comfortable. All in all, an excellent experience. Not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. I must also especially mention the staff in the Lounge, who were lovely. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms are small, but so are many hotel rooms located in the city. They are very nicely kept and clean. The location is very convenient. My view was not very good at all, but they do have rooms with better view of Buckingham Palace.

Room Tip: if you are also wanting a good view from your room ask to be placed in the front of the hotel becaus...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the size of the room you were allocated. As a slightly older building, we do have a wide cross section of shapes and sizes. If anyone is not entirely satisfied with the room that they are allocated, my team are always more than happy to show you room alternatives.

On a more positive note, it is wonderful to hear that you liked the location and overall feel of the hotel, and that you felt so well taken care of by my team. They genuinely enjoy looking after all our guests and were thrilled to hear your comments when I passed these on to them.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry

Been to The Rubens at the Palace? Share your experiences!