“lovely staff but over priced accommodation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Rubens at the Palace

You added The Rubens at the Palace to your Saves list
The Rubens at the Palace
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Buckingham Palace Road | Victoria, London SW1W 0PS, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Offer
4 nights for 3
Ranked #47 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Toronto, Canada
“lovely staff but over priced accommodation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

We booked this hotel because of its convenient location. The staff are all lovely people and try very hard to keep the customer happy. They get full marks for that. The buffet breakfast is also very well done, with a wide variety of good, fresh and hot food.

Unfortunately there are some problems with the hotel. Our room is very small with no space to put anything. We left our suitcases unpacked because there is no place to put them if we unpacked them. There is a little round table and a chair that sit directly in front of the smallish T.V. set and directly between the bed and the T.V. Therefore, to watch television the chair must be moved into the middle of the room which then blocks the closet. The table blocks the little bureau that the T.V. sits on. All of this means that one must constantly move everything around in order to move about the room. It also means there is no point in unpacking because you cannot easily access the closet and little bureau.

The washroom is equally as dysfunctional. The only place to put toiletries is on the toilet tank, which means moving the box of tissues onto the floor. There are no shelves or drawers whatsoever so all of the toiletries must come and go twice daily except those that fit on the toilet tank.

My major problem with this room is that the air vent blows directly onto you while you are in bed. I find this most uncomfortable but the vent is not adjustable.

Other inconveniences were remedied by the hard working staff. Broken tea pot was replaced. Awful club sandwich with gritty lettuce was refunded, with complimentary cookies thrown in. Hard bed was covered with extra padding. As I said, they try hard!

All in all I just feel that this room is not worth $350 per night. It is a $250 room in a convenient location staffed by really nice people.

Room Tip: Not 344. Didn't see any other rooms.exam
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I was delighted to read that you were impressed with our breakfast offering and that you felt my staff did everything they could to keep you happy during your time with us. However, I was sorry to learn that you were disappointed with the size, furnishings and bathroom of Room 344. As a slightly older building, we do have a wide cross section of shapes and sizes of accommodation with varying styles of decor and furnishings, so please feel free to mention your preference for a more spacious room with more storage space when making your next reservation.

With regards your comment on our prices, we do regularly conduct surveys with regards to our pricing structure and are very competitive in comparison to our competitors and the London marketplace. However, I am sorry that you did find this to be expensive.

It is also disappointing to learn of the inconsistencies you experienced with regards our food & beverage offering and to hear that you were dissatisfied with the quality of your sandwich. Here at The Rubens, we pride ourselves on the standards of product and service we provide, which makes it all the more disappointing to read that we have let ourselves down on this occasion. Please be assured that I have personally conveyed your dissatisfaction to my Food & Beverage Manager and reiterated to him the need for consistency of standards, which he in turn has taken back to his team. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

I am very sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site but thank you for sharing this with us and hope that you will consider returning to The Rubens in future.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (494)
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed here on our honeymoon. The staff was fantastic and even had a slice of cake to welcome us in our room. The concierge was very helpful and had a lot of great tips.

The room as a little small by American standards, but for London it was good sized. The mirrors along the head board wall make it feel a little bigger. We And let's face it, if you're visiting London you're probably here for the sites and not the room. The rain shower just had a short glass wall and no curtain but it had plenty of hot water and good pressure.

It is an easy walking distance to Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, and Buckingham Palace. Victoria rail, tube, and coach station are just 2 blocks away. Very convenient to get anywhere in London.

There are some good pubs just around the corner. The Shakespeare right next to Victoria Station had a great band and hand pump cask ales. The price was a little high but for a honeymoon or special trip I think it was worth it. I would stay here again, especially for the location.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 2nd floor (it was actually the 3rd level) that faced the street. The noise was...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear Cameron,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens at the Palace on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to read that you chose The Rubens for your honeymoon and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I was particularly pleased to learn how wonderful you found the service provided by our Concierge and the rest of the team. Comments like yours are the best way to motivate my team as it shows them that their hard work is appreciated. They were indeed thrilled to hear your comments when I passed these on to them.

Here at The Rubens, we understand the importance of special occasions, be it a birthday, a wedding day, an anniversary or a honeymoon. Personalised service that reflects our guests’ preferences is what we are committed to providing. Whatever the occasion, our guests can choose from a range of thoughtful little touches, such as a bottle of Champagne, a cake in the room or a romantic turndown to make the occasion that extra bit special. We frequently receive praise from our guests for making their special occasions unforgettable experiences.

Thank you once again for your kind comments. I hope to have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to The Rubens in the not too distant future.

With my very best regards,

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed at a superior King room, which was nicely decorated with a special theme. The hotel is conveniently located right next to attractions like Buckingham Palace and St. James. The staff is really friendly and it made us felt at home.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I moved to London with two cats and the three of us needed a place to stay for a few days before my flat was ready. The Rubens did an amazing job of removing a significant source of stress from a stressful situation. Upon arrival, the room was already set up for the cats with a litter box, pet beds, food and toys.

From a human perspective, the room was very comfortable. The bedroom was large and the marble bathroom was almost the same size as the bedroom. The location is very good for sightseeing.

The service was outstanding. Every member of the staff I encountered was professional, friendly and helpful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

Not sure what I was expecting, but The Rubens delivered quality service in spades! My room was not large at all, but it was beautifully appointed and overlooked the Mews directly across the street. Bed was extremely comfortable. The staff went above and beyond to answer questions and be helpful. I paid extra for the breakfast and was delighted I did. What a buffet!! If you went away hungry, shame on you! At one point, I was concerned about the weight of my bags for my departing flight, and the concierge sent a young man to my room to fetch my bags & then take them to another part of the hotel to weigh them. He promptly brought them back with the weights written down. Everyone was so personable and all about taking care of their guests. The location was perfect walking distance for many attractions: Buckingham Palace, St. James Park, Westminster Abbey, Big Ben, Parliament, London Eye, Victoria Station and tube. When I return to London--with my husband next time--we'll definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Paying a little more to overlook the Mews was well worth it.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens at the Palace on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us so much that you plan to return to The Rubens when you next visit London. It is always wonderful and encouraging to receive such positive feedback.

I was particularly pleased to read that you were impressed with the service provided by our Concierge Team. Each and every guest is important to us, and we are committed to ensure that every stay with us is truly memorable. Our Concierge Team receive many positive comments about their excellent knowledge of the local area and of things to do in London, as well as about their willingness to go the extra mile with assisting with every request however large or small. Dave and John have been part of our Concierge Team for the past 30 years and have built up a wealth of knowledge and are great assets to the hotel. We even have a dedicated Kids Concierge, who has plenty of options up his sleeve to keep the children entertained in London.

Thank you once again for your comments. Feedback like yours is the best way to motivate my team as it shows them that their hard work is appreciated.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to The Rubens in the not too distant future.

Many thanks and best regards,
Lichfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

What a 1st class Hotel. From start to finish we were treated amazingly well. Genuinely friendly staff made us very welcome. The room was spotless and had everything you could need, and the shower was something else!! We had wondered whether to include breakfast but we were delighted we did. Everything you could have wanted was there and it set us up for our days out in London. Would definately recommend this hotel and look forward to staying again. Thanks to everyone at the Rubens.

Bonn, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Lovely suit with a great location. We stayed in the King's suit, a great 2 room, 2 bath apartment. The staff could not have been nicer. Wonderful turndown service. Went out of their way for our child with games etc. Sure made my little girl feel special. They even ran to get her during lunch when the Queen's horses drove by, made her day!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Rubens at the Palace? Share your experiences!