“our memorable stay at the Rubens” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Rubens at the Palace

Save Saved
You added The Rubens at the Palace to your Saves list
The Rubens at the Palace
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Buckingham Palace Road | Victoria, London SW1W 0PS, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Offer
Free Breakfast
Ranked #38 of 1,069 hotels in London
York, United Kingdom
“our memorable stay at the Rubens”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Once again on our return visit the service was excellent, every member of staff giving their all, it seems unfair to mention anyone by name as everyone from the Duty Managers to the housekeeping staff could not do enough to make the stay extra special. The rooms were very well equipped with excellent high quality fixtures and fittings, the attention to detail everywhere is impeccable, Food and beverage service and the choice of types of food available is of a high standard equal to any high class restaurant and the Champagne Afternoon Tea is a must. All reception staff showed excellent knowledge of the area and offered lots of advice on where to go and what not to miss. We left a tie of sentimental value in our room on return home we contacted the Rubens and within a few days the tie arrived with us in the post with no charge to ourselves.
We have made the Rubens our "Special Hotel " to return to again when we have something else to celebrate.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent value.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

2,114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I used to dream of the perfect hotel. I still haven't found it (perfect doesn't really exist, except in Nature I suppose) but the Rubens comes pretty close. Beautiful decor, attention to detail, a warm welcome, people asking if you need anything from time to time, delicious teas and breakfasts, and a high standard of cleanliness. It's lovely to have the door held open by a doorman in the proper uniform too. Our two-night stay was a treat, paid for by someone else. I wish I could treat all my family and friends to this.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are on Buckingham Palace Rd, which is a bit noisy, but the windows are well insul...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

My 1st solo trip to London and the entire staff treated me like "Royalty". Wonderful hotel 2 blocks from Buckingham Palace and 2 blocks from Victoria Underground Station. I was greeted by name every time I walked in the lobby. The Concierge & Doormen - Tom, Dave, Bogdan, Marcin, Alex, & Damon were most helpful in directing & advising me. Janine, the manager of Customer Service greeted me at the door and showed me around the hotel immediately on arriving. I had the Royal room at the front of hotel and it looked the courtyard of the Royal Mews - saw several horse & carriage processions. I will definitely come back to this hotel and highly recommend it to everyone!

• Stayed March 2013
Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Once again, my companion and I were treated like royalty during our 8 night stay at the Rubens. We were recognized by seasoned reception, registration, and concierge staff as though we were family members returning home once again, and that did so much to make us feel important and appreciated. The importance and appreciation, however, were returned in kind due to the excellent level of service extended to us by so many of the staff. Specific mention goes out to Alex, Feven, Janine, Nathan, Naomi, Dave, and a few other "lobby" employees who always greeted our comings and goings with graciousness and genuine pleasure. In the Dining Room, special mention goes to Miguel, Margaret, and Alex, although every person in the Dining Room made us feel welcomed and quite special.

There is nothing about our experiences at the Rubens that is anything less than superb on all levels, and we both look forward to our next opportunity to see all our wonderful friends who work at this fine hotel.

Please forgive me for leaving out anyone who made our stay enjoyable, or for possible misspellings of names.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens at the Palace on TripAdvisor. I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed staying with us previously, and it is wonderful and encouraging to receive such positive feedback. We highly value our guests and are always delighted to welcome them back to their “home away from home”.

I was particularly pleased to read how wonderful you found service provided by my team. We receive so many positive comments on the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff, who are committed to providing personalised service to our guests. Feedback like yours is the best way to motivate my team as it shows them that their hard work is appreciated. I have conveyed your kind comments to Alex, Feven, Janine, Nathan, Naomi, Dave, Miguel, Margaret and Alex, who were indeed thrilled to hear them. They have all been working with me here at The Rubens for a long time, and their excellent personal qualities help provide the exceptional guest experiences we pride ourselves on.

I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to personally welcome you back to The Rubens in the not too distant future.

Many thanks and best regards,

Malcolm Hendry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here in March 2013 (writing this from my hotel room !). Location is great, immediately opposite the Royal mews, and vey convenient for our office in Victoria. The staff here are extremely friendly, helpful and professional: they really make you feel welcome and special. The only criticism I would make is that the "double" bed is really too narrow for two people, based on modern standards - it's very comfortable, but just too narrow. Otherwise - wonderful !

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Bridlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Stayed here and enjoyed every minute. Friendly and welcoming staff, attentive to every detail. Food fantastic, and plenty of choice. The most comfortable bed I've ever slept in and the position overlooking Buckingham Palace is ideal for seeing the London sights within walking distance. An absolute first rate experience and one which we'd love to repeat.

Room Tip: Get one like we did overlooking the Royal Mews
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

We stayed at the Rubens in October, 2012 with a Luxury Link package for 5 nights. We had a few glitches with the rooms as the first one was pretty but so small that we could hardly get around the bed. They gave us a larger room which was quite nice but the air conditioning units were on the roof outside the windows so a little noisy and view was quite bad. They were able to move us to an Executive King room for the last three nights. This room was very nice and a good bit roomier. The staff is really great! Very accommodating and really wanted to make us satisfied with our stay. They are helpful, friendly and welcoming. Location of the hotel is near Victoria Station and several buses. Buckingham Palace is, of course, across from the hotel. (The side of the palace, that is.) The breakfast, included with our package, was superb! The variety and quality of foods was some of the best I have had. We had one dinner included at the Library Restaurant and it was really great. Service, food and atmosphere were memorable. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Rubens at the Palace? Share your experiences!