“Possibly the Best hotel we've ever stayed at...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Rubens at the Palace

Save Saved
You added The Rubens at the Palace to your Saves list
The Rubens at the Palace
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Buckingham Palace Road | Victoria, London SW1W 0PS, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Offer
Free Breakfast
Ranked #44 of 1,073 hotels in London
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Possibly the Best hotel we've ever stayed at...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My friend had just passed away in the build up to the jubilee weekend. So my husband and I booked a nights stay away in London at the last minute, to help take my mind off the latest events.
I was feeling very low travelling down to London but from the moment we arrived we were looked after like royalty. This was truly going to be a royal weekend.

The doorman was very helpful as we had taken our dog Abbie with us, and welcomed her as much as my husband and I whilst assisting us with our bags to the reception.

The reception was understandably busy due to the fact that it was the Jubilee weekend but we didn't wait long to be checked in.

Once again all the staff fussed over Abbie and helped us to our room offering us help with any recommendations for good dog walks. ( The hotel also has their very own doggy concierge )

The hotel was beautifully decorated and had lots of character, which you would expect being situated so close to the Hotel.

Our room was nicely decorated, with really cosy bed. The whole room was spotlessly clean and extremely peaceful. Abbie our pet Lurcher had been loaned a cosy pet bed and dog bowl, which was a nice touch because that was one less thing to have to drag to London. She also very kindly received a big bag of treats and a nice toy which she loved! This all was very unexpected.

There was even a doggy menu which Abbie did sample and judging by the fact that it was licked clean I'd say she enjoyed every mouthful.

My husband and I watched the Jubilee concert in the park and came back for a night cap before bed. The bar area was wonderful and as were the staff who were now calling Abbie by her nick name. The staff truly made us feel like family. The pianist playing just set the atmosphere for what has to be one of the best stays I've ever had.

My husband and I had a wonderful breakfast the next day. There was plenty to choose from and we both felt very full. Abbie our Lurcher was allowed to eat her breakfast with us as she was allowed anywhere in the hotel with us. First class breakfast with more than you would normally imagine.

My husband and I check out that morning but stayed to watch the royal family prade. We were soaked as it rained and were in need of something to eat. We headed back to the hotel only to see that the hotel looked to be turning the public away because they were fully booked for high tea. We approached the steps and the doors opened and we were welcomed back in. They said no matter what that they would find us a table. We were so pleased!

High tea was exceptional and very filling and the service was amazing.

Overall I would say that this had to be the BEST hotel we have ever stayed in!

Mr and Mrs Kirk Wiltshire.

Room Tip: There wasn't a swimming pool I've clicked it and it will not let me un click.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

2,261 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
Renishaw, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Went for our 30th Wedding anniversary. This Hotel helped make it very special we will be going again. very friendly staff great food and the romantic turn down was worth every penny.

The hotel is well placed with the location being so close to victoria tube travelling is easy

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Stamford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Stayed two nights at this lovely through back to an age of glamour and opulence. From the very warm welcome, signing in and greeting from reception manager the stay has been lovely and one of total contentment.

The rooms are clean, comfortable and a lovely contrast to the modern hotel room which in its quest to be aesthetically pleasing loses charm and character. One minor grip was that the TV would not allow me to alter the display settings so the picture was quite dark but I really am clutching at straws!

The breakfast was delicious and the service prompt without being intrusive.

We would very much recommend a stay here and look forward to coming back to experience the glamour of a bygone age which the hotel personifies in perfect execution.

• Stayed February 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel a few times now when visiting London. It is a four star hotel very close to Buckingham Palace. The staff are all very friendly and it is nice when you go a few times to see familiar faces.

The rooms are decorated beautifully.

It is a great hotel for a nice treat and only a short taxi ride to the West End to se a show.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We stayed at The Rubens as we were going to Buckingham Palace. So the location was perfect - just a short walk away. Staff were very pleasant. We arrived later than we had anticipated due to dreadful trafficand ordered a sandwich and a drink, explaining that we were in a real hurry . I had to call the concierge as our bags did not arrive in our room. We waited over half an hour for our food and eventually called the concierge again. When the club sandwich and a small bowl of chips arrived, they were cold. Rooms advertised as 'overlooking Palace gardens'. Our room overlooked the lightwell in the middle of the hotel and was rea...lllly tiny. Only one of us could move at a time. I have never been in a smaller hotel room. Don't be too put off by this unless you are of very large build.... The bed was sooooo comfortable - blankets and a lovely fluffy cover. I could have stayed there all day - really gorgeous and a good night's sleep guaranteed. Room well-equipped -tissues, dressing gowns, tea-making facilities (including fresh coffee!), etc. Also, to their eternal credit - a bottle of still water AND a bottle of sparkling provided. Brilliant. Receptionists and doorman lovely - chatty, friendly, helpful and welcoming. Valet parking super-efficient. The bar needs a bit of a 'look at'. Looks 'tired'. I suspect it is mainly the lighting to blame - felt 'cold'. Pianist - very good and varied repertoire - played Van Morrison to Great American Songbook. Try the pub over the road, 'Bag O' Nails' instead. All this said, we would definitely return but would chhose to book a better quality room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens on Tripadvisor.

It is wonderful to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay at The Rubens and that you were so impressed with the quality of our beds and the friendliness of my Front of House staff. I have shared these kind comments with the team, who were equally delighted to hear them.

However, I was sorry to read that you were disappointed with the size of the room you were allocated and the fact that it did not have a view. As a slightly older building, we do have a wide cross section of shapes and sizes of accommodation, with varying views including some overlooking the Royal Mews of Buckingham Palace. Please feel free to mention your preference for a more spacious room with a front-facing view when making your next reservation.

I was also concerned to learn that you were disappointed with the quality of food and service provided to you on Room Service. Here at The Rubens, we pride ourselves on the standards of product and service we provide, which makes it all the more disappointing to read that we have let ourselves down on this occasion. I have personally conveyed your dissatisfaction at the waiting time and temperature of the food delivered to my Executive Chef and my Food & Beverage Manager and have emphasised the importance of the consistency of standards and speed of service, which they in turn have taken back to their teams. Please accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you once again for this feedback and for pointing out areas where improvement can be found. I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Rubens in person in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

I've just returned from a lovely weekend in London with my husband and family, my husband was receiving his MBE from the palace, but what made this weekend so special was the wonderful staff at The Rubens. They could not have been nicer and nothing was too much trouble even when they had to deal with a night time power cut (which we all enjoyed in the bar with candles and nightcaps) we had dinner in the hotel twice and breakfast three times, all of which were outstanding!!! The hotel is very comfortable, especially the very large bed and its location is perfect. I can't recommend this hotel highly enough and look forward to returning. I don't normally write reviews, but felt the need for this one.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We stayed at The Rubens for one day at the end of December and stayed back a few days in a Junior Suite, at the beginning of the year .The service was outstanding, from the bellboys to the Manager.
When we arrived our room was not ready so we were given a courtesy room while we waited, which was very welcome after a long overnight flight.We travel extensively and this is the first time this has happened to us, and have not had this kind of superb attention to detail many times.
Any request or query we had, was attended to.There was always somebody checking how our stay was.
The rooms were very comfortable and catered for all your needs.Every afternoon,we looked forward to our iced water and snacks, awaiting in the room, our tea making facilities or free wifi.Breakfast was very varied and very good to start your action packed days in London.
One of us was also celebrating a birthday and we were pleasantly surprised with a gift and card from the employees.This is very thoughtful and makes your stay so much more pleasant.
I specially want to commend the Guest Services Manager, Ms. Laura Smith and the ladies at the front desk, specially Marta.
The only thing we would say is that the Lobby area does not do justice to the very comfortable, remodelled rooms and bathrooms and the brilliant service you get.
We would highly recommended it and would stay at the Rubens all over again.
Mrs. Emilce C. Miami, Fl.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Rubens at the Palace? Share your experiences!