“First class hotel on a perfect spot” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Rubens at the Palace

You added The Rubens at the Palace to your Saves list
The Rubens at the Palace
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   39 Buckingham Palace Road | Victoria, London SW1W 0PS, England (Westminster)   |
Special Offer
4 nights for 3
Ranked #81 of 1,052 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersBronze level
Obernzell, Germany
“First class hotel on a perfect spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I stayed here at this hotel with my in-laws from South Africa. They arrived early morning and were given a room to freshen up.
The hotel is beautifully decorated and staff were friendly and efficient.
We really enjoyed the close walk to Victoria station.

For us it was the perfect hotel to explore London, and a nice home away from home

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
Palmerston North, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I booked to stay for 6 nights at the Rubens. It was a great location, right across Buckingham Palace and very near the Underground at Victoria Station. However, the service was as poor as being in the outhouse or in a motel. They did not replace the toiletries in the bathroom. Even when reminded about that, the toiletries were replaced ONCE. I felt that they forgot that I used the bathroom! The front desk service was spotty- there were helpful ones and there were ones that just ignored you. Perhaps because there was a big group that they were attending to, but that should not be an excuse.

Room Tip: Don't book any of the "royal" rooms.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens at the Palace on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

It is disappointing to read how dissatisfied you were with your stay. I would certainly have valued the opportunity to discuss the details of your stay during your time with us or at some point over the months that have since passed, but as this has not been possible, please rest assured that I will share your comments with my team and reinforce to them our goal to provide an exceptional service experience to all of our guests.

Here at The Rubens, we pride ourselves on the standards of product and service we provide, which makes it all the more disappointing to read that we have let ourselves down on this occasion. We receive so many positive comments on the friendliness and helpfulness of our staff that I am disappointed to read of your encounters. I am very sorry that your experience was not as positive as that of others on this site, and the errors in the service you received were indeed unacceptable.

Once again, accept my sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused and my assurance that I have personally conveyed your dissatisfaction to my team.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry
Santiago, Chile
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

This is my fifth stay at the Rubens on business and I am never disappointed. It's in a great location opposite Buckingham palace and round the corner from Victoria station (from which you can get anywhere on the tube or bus). The service at the front desk is always excellent and I am always impressed how well they treat their guests, new and old. It has a lovely bar area and the food is good. The rooms are decorated a mixture of traditional and modern and are a good size with everything you would expect. I'll definitely be staying here on my next visit!

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Amsterdam
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

In October 2012 I also stayed at this hotel, paid less, but got a bigger room (including vouchers to get a drink in the hotel bar). So a little disappointed to find out that I now got a very small room for a higher charge, and no "welcome" drinks in the hotel bar.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

MalcolmHendry, General Manager at The Rubens at the Palace, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review of The Rubens on Tripadvisor. I am most grateful for your feedback, which is such a valuable source of information for me, regardless of whether it is good or bad, and helps me monitor the service we provide.

I was concerned to read that as a return guest you were dissatisfied with your stay at The Rubens in January. It is disappointing to read that the size of your room was not to your liking and that you did not receive a drinks voucher like you did you on your previous visit. I have conveyed your dissatisfaction to my Front Office Manager, as it is our standard to courtesy call all guests to ensure they are happy with the room they have been given, and have reiterated to her the importance of ensuring these standards are maintained at all times. I would also very much appreciate the opportunity to look into this further and would be grateful if you might be so kind as to contact me with details of how both of your bookings were made, in order to allow me to understand our process of room allocation on each occasion.

I am very sorry that your experience was not as positive as previous ones, but would once again like to thank you for sharing this with us and for highlighting areas where improvement may be found.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Rubens in the not too distant future and to restore your faith in the hotel and us.

Yours sincerely,

Malcolm Hendry
Jacksonville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was my first visit to London and it was terrific! I spent five nights at The Rubens with my husband and we both very much appreciated everything this hotel had to offer. The room was on the smaller side, but the decor was tasteful, it was very clean, and the king size bed was very comfortable. The staff were so welcoming and courteous. The hotel was perfectly situated insomuch as it is located a couple blocks from Victoria Station,shopping is very close, and Buckingham palace is just across the street. The concierge was ever-so-helpful in suggesting restaurants, pubs, arranging tours, getting our cabs, quick to handle luggage.... The cost was reasonable, free wifi, and the breakfast was fantastic. This will be a hotel that I will revisit! Thank you to all the staff for being so accommodating.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I highly recommend this hotel. The service and kindness of the staff was top notch. Everyone was so kind and helpful. I felt like the hotel was my home not a hotel. The friendliness and great service impressed me the most. Also I found the best place for food in London was at this hotel. It wasn't cheap but the quality was great. I loved the breakfast - food and atmosphere was so elegant. Tom at the Concierge desk helped with advice, directions, theatre & booking tours. Loved the location. It was safe walking as a woman alone at night around Buckingham Palace area. I loved my room right away. It was a twin or king sized room.

I couldn't find Quality Street chocolates anywhere so I asked the front desk to find where I could buy some and they bought me a large container and I found it waiting in my room.

When you don't know your way around London, they are happy to help with everything. I felt so well taken care of there. The hotel has the English experience I was looking for with an intimate feel. It's not a vast steel and chrome businessman's impersonal hotel.

I'll definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We are a family of 5 and stayed at the hotel the weekend before Christmas for my wife's birthday. From the time we walked through the door to the tim we left we were overwhelmed by the warmth of the welcome and the friendliness of all the staff we came into contact with. The adjoining rooms were very comfortable and the food superb, particularly breakfast and afternoon tea! The children particularly were made to feel very welcome. A great hotel in a great location!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Rubens at the Palace? Share your experiences!