“a pleasant stay - quiet location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton London Docklands

You added Hilton London Docklands to your Saves list
Hilton London Docklands
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   265 Rotherhithe Street, London SE16 5HW, England (Waterloo / South Bank / Southwark)   |
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #548 of 1,065 Hotels in London

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Polish first
Kent, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2005

My boss (male) and I (female) stayed at the Hilton Docklands on a business trip for 4 days. My boss had already arrived the night before, so he met up with me when I arrived, I checked in and we went to the bar.

We were minding our own business, having a drink, when a male guest who was completly drunk sat down next to us. He was commenting on my breasts, looking at my legs under the table, asking us if we were going to sleep together and he was being completely racist to my boss, who is Portuguese. I was shaking all over and quite frankly as a woman I felt extremely uncomfortable.

I looked over at the barman, giving him a look, which he gladly picked up immediately, then proceeding to explain to who I thought must have been the Duty Manager. As I heard him quietly telling him, while this man carried on swearing and being rude, the barman told him that the drunk was disturbing us. Never the less, nothing happened....

We then finished our drinks and left, still not wanting to make a scene. On the way down the stars, the man whom I thought was a Duty Manager said, 'I know that man was bothering you, but you didn't tell me you wanted him to leave. I can't go up to anyone and tell them to leave. Plus, he's a regular guest of ours' I couldn't believe it - as if we didn't matter because we've never been there before!

The next day I went to the bar to thank the barman. He explained the gentleman whom I thought was the Duty Manager was actually the Security Manager!!!

Well thank you very much... I will never ever go there again, and I feel safer in my local PUB.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2005

The hotel is a bit of a labyrinth but that isn't the worst problem. The room at the top floor was big enough but the bed was very small for 2 persons. Good matress however.
The bathroom was mini. Not a big problem if you can make a deal who takes a shower first.
But what disgusted me was the dirty floor, the towels that didn't smell very fresh, unidentified 'things' on the walls, the dust on the furniture, etc. Also the furniture was totally worn out.
But on the other hand : friendly staff and excellent breakfast!
If they should spend money and energy for some renovation and instruct the employees about 'how to clean a room' this would be an excellent hotel.

• Stayed December 2005
Edinburgh, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2005

This is really handy if you are going to Canary Wharf, and even travelling into the City is fun if you take the river boat.

However, the hotel looks tired and is a generic Hilton, which clearly hasn't had any attention for the past 15 years or so. My first room had faulty aircon/heating (both on full even when apparently switched off), but they offered me a new room without fuss, even though it was 12:15am.

Breakfast was disappointing - plenty of food, but nothing special. Service was fine, and am sure the rooms that look out on the river have a nice view, but on the whole just a bit uninspiring.

• Stayed November 2005, traveled on business
Melbourne Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2005

We travelled from Australia and stayed 4 nights in London before driving further afield. Having visited the main tourist sights of London previously we chose the Hilton Docklands from an internet deal. After an initial shock at seeing our room on the top floor, it was quite narrow with a small bathroom, we settled down on the balcony with a duty free gin and commenced to admire the wonderful 180 degree view of London from Big Ben & Westminster around the Thames, London City, Tower Bridge all the way to Canary Wharf across the river. The room was adequate (for the price) however the hotel could do with remodelling and freshening up the passages.

The location proved excellent for exploring the docklands area of London, the Docklands Museum across the river at Canary Wharf is a 'must see' and the Brunnel Tunnel pump house in Rotherhithe is well worth a visit. There are good pubs nearby and the Thames Path walk reveals many wonderful sights.

Staff were very friendly, helpful and the buffet breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed September 2005
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2005

Stayed for a month only because it was located directly across the river from my Corporate office. Staff is mainly Eastern European and they do not have the best command of the English language which makes it difficult to get a point across, especially when there is a problem and in my case there were many. For starters the air conditioning either works too much (very cold) or not at all. I had both extremes and it took 3 moves in the month I was there to get a room with decent AC. London in the Summer can be very hot and humid despite the city's reputation. The rooms are extremely small and cramped, especially the toilets (unless you get a corner room with 2 double beds). The interior is quite worn and looks not to have been remodeled since around 1990. There is a single ice machine, located on the ground floor but the hotel has no ice buckets, you are expected to go down with glasses to retrieve ice. The food prepared there is truly bad, even the breakfast buffet is less than second rate. You are better off eating meals at one of the nearby pubs which should give you an indication of the food at the Hilton. One would expect as a Hilton Honors member like myself staying for a month I would get a minimum of consideration--forget it the staff doesn't care and apparently neither do the Management whom I spoke with many times. The laundry service is questionable at best, they lost 2 shirts in one week. The new Marriot across the river is more expensive but far superior and more easily accessible to public transport such as the tube and Docklands Light Rail.

Stayed July 2005

Been to Hilton London Docklands? Share your experiences!