“Let down by little sleep” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton London Docklands

You added Hilton London Docklands to your Saves list
Hilton London Docklands
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   265 Rotherhithe Street, London SE16 5HW, England (Waterloo / South Bank / Southwark)   |
Special Offer
Book Early & Save
Ranked #544 of 1,065 Hotels in London
cheshire
“Let down by little sleep”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed here recently for one night as I was attending a business meeting at Canary Wharf the following day. I didn't arrive until somewhere around 10.30pm, all I wanted was somewhere to sleep and breakfast the next day.
I had been booked into a single room and on check in was offered an upgrade to a double room, and asked if I was OK on the ground floor. I've never been there before so had no idea if bring on ground floor was good or not and was just wanting to get to my room so was happy to say yes. The hotel has an odd layount and it was long mazy walk to my room, which overlooked the river. The room looked a little tired, with some orange stains on the bathroom walls, and the shower fitting was loose against the wall with large holes in the tiles around the fitting. The duvet cover was clean but ripped down one side
By the time I'd made a drink and sorted out I turned in to sleep around midnight but there was a lot of noise from what sounded like a small group of people talking. I even went to the window to see if they were outside but could see nothing; I assumed they must be in the next room but their voices carried into my room and at 2am it was getting pretty tiresome. Later another voice, even louder, sounded like it was right in front of my window but I was too tired to get out of bed to look. In addition to noisy guests, it seemed as though I was directly below a bathroom and could hear far too much noise from above every time the resident there went to the toilet! At around 3am as I was hoping to finally get some sleep I had what sounded like a shower somewhere above me and then shortly after that a horrible whining noise. At this point I realised the radiator in my room had come on so I assume the noise was the pipes. It was sometime after 3.30 before I got any sleep.
Staff at breakfast were pleasant, as the reception desk staff had been the previous evening, and breakfast itself was fine. The location is good once you get there; it's not that close to any stations but there is a ferry across to Westferry Circus area of Canary Wharf which is free for hotel guests. However given that I chose to stay in the hotel that night rather than get the early train down in the morning so I could get a decent night's sleep before my meeting, that had been totally ruined

Room Tip: Don't go for a ground floor on the riverside. There is a bar terrace and this may have been whe...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Joanna G, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Docklands, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
I’m very sorry to see that your stay with disrupted by the noises that you have described here. I would like to look into this, however I do not know which room you stayed in. I would very much appreciate you contacting me at Joanna.Gale-Batten@Hilton.com. Thank you again for your feedback.
Joanna Gale-Batten

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (436)
  • Polish first
golden, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

Stayed one night with husband using points and money. Got their with our small bags to check around 1 and room was not ready so we checked our luggage with the front desk staff and went out to explore London- neat ferry ride for free back and forth across the Thames to the quays and wharf business district. When we returned on the last ferry around midnight and went to the front desk- they couldn't find our bags we had checked with them and said maybe they had already been taken to the room... So we go to our room and no bags! We are tired and so I go down to the front desk like a raving lunatic! The guy said we ll find them and deliver them- about 25 mins. Later a manager type person delivered them apologizing a lot and giving us a free breakfast. We liked that so the next morning we go into the dining room and guess what? They had no record of a " free breakfast " so we explained the situation and got the comp. room was quite small, my husbands top sheet had a huge rip in it and we kept stubbing our toes coming out of the bathroom as they was at least a 2 inch variation in the level of the bathroom to the room! Other then that we slept comfortably and enjoyed a less hectic place to stay away from all the hubbub of London.

• Stayed June 2013
Joanna G, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Docklands, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share you experience. I can see that you were not completely satisfied with your stay and with the service that we provided, and I would like to apologise for this. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you again, and to restore your faith in our hotel.
oldham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I booked this hotel as part of my daughters birthday present. We only stayed one night and booked it for its location near the O2. When you arrive the lobby area is lovely and bright and clean. The staff are very efficient and professional. We went to our room 2025 and was quite disappointed by what we saw. I can only describe it as a small broom closet. I dont like to moan as I think it spoils your stay so we had a chuckle about how small it was. My daughter was getting quite attached to our broom closet when "BANG" she bent down to take her shoe off and cracked her head on the corner of the television table. This was before the concert. Her eyebrow was split and blood was oozing everywhere. I took her down to reception to see if they had any antiseptic wipes.
The duty manager was brilliant, he dressed her would checked she didnt have concussion and seemed genuinely concerned. He asked how she had done it and she said "the room is only big enough for a an elf" The manager apologised and offered us an upgrade which I thought was really nice. We declined as it just wasnt worth moving for one night.
The room was a bit tired but all in all 5 star staff

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. I’m sorry that you were disappointed with your room. I can assure you that we always do our best to meet personal room preferences. Please feel free to contact me prior to your next stay: Joanna.Gale-Batten@Hilton.com. I hope that your daughter is feeling better!
Egham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Needed somewhere to stay near Canary Wharf after a late Friday night. Was upgraded to a River Suite which was very nice. Room was fine and enjoyed a full breakfast the next morning.

My only complaint is that they have stopped the hotel shuttle bus which used to take you to Canada Water underground and was always very busy.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review, and for this feedback with regards to transportation. For your information, we are now offering a complimentary ferry service for our guests, from our hotel across to Canary Wharf. Ferry passes can be issued at reception. Please feel free to contact me for further information: Joanna.Gale-Batten@Hilton.com.
Joanna
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

Their website says "Canary Wharf Tube Station is a short walk from the Canary Wharf Pier". This is a lie - it's a good 10 minute walk, not recommended if you have heavy bags like we did. The receptionist said they often get complaints about this but management still haven't changed the website.

The hotel isn't well placed for connections to bus, rail or tube and therefore not recommended for tourists. It's fine for a business trip if you're working on Canary Wharf but that's about it.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

i booked two nights stay in a double deluxe room (£230) we rang the hotel who directed us to the wrong hilton in canary wharf. we then had to walk another 20 minutes with luggage to get to the pier to catch the ferry. From the outside we were verry disappointed it look very shabby and dated. We checked in and were told we were given a double deluxe room as we had booked. Wifi was an extra £15 a day which is robbery for a supposedly business hotel bearing in mind how expensive the rooms are. We got up to the room and it was definitely not what we had booked it was small, dingy and basic, not £230 worth, and we have stayed in travelodges that were much better. We complained and were given another room which actually said Double Deluxe room on the door which was obviously much better. it was obvious that our first room was definitely not what we had booked. The ferry didnt run between 8-9 which was very inconvenient and there was not any other means of transport in walking distance. Overall i would not stay here again and i feel they tried to pull a fast one with the room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Joanna G, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Docklands, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
I’m very sorry that you felt this way about our staff and our hotel. I can assure you that it would not have been our intention to fool you in any way. If you would like to speak about this further, please send your contact details to Joanna.Gale-Batten@Hilton.com. Thank you for your feedback.
Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

If there was a rating between average & very good (eg: just good) that is how I would have rated this hotel. This was my first stay at this particular hotel & I selected it on price. It was the only sub £100 per room per night 4* hotel I could find in a decent location - I also like to stick to a brand as I like to know what to expect from a hotel & the standard of both accommodation & staff are usually excellent at Hilton. I had previously stayed at the nearby Hilton Canary Wharf & it was very good indeed so I had high hopes for this stay.

I was disappointed that there wasn't an executive lounge available here, but was pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to junior suite overlooking the Thames. The room would have been faultless except for 2 things, 1. No fridge & 2. A badly chipped bath. The room was very spacious with sofa, 2 chairs, coffee table & large wardrobe with ironing board, iron & hair drier. Robes & slippers were also provided. The bed was super king size & comfortable enough & the air con worked well. There was huge flat screen TV that offered freeview channels but WiFi was a very expensive £16 for 24hrs which is far too expensive in my opinion. After all if other Hilton's like the Doubletree Westminster can provide it for free & even Premier Inn will only charge £3 per 24hrs then I see no reason why Hilton cannot do the same (rant over!)

What really let this hotel down was the staff. They weren't rude or anything like that, but just didn't seem that interested. At other Hilton's I have stayed at in London the staff genuinely wanted you to have a great experience (or at least it seemed so) & couldn't have been more polite & attentive. I really didn't feel very welcome here & all I can say is that most members of staff I encountered were indifferent to the customers experience.

The hotel offers guests free use of the ferry from their own pier across the Thames to Canary Wharf pier which is a nice touch, but beware because if you intend being out after 10:30 - 11:00pm you cannot get back across the river to the hotel. If you happen to be out later you have to get the tube to Canada Water & a bus to the hotel which isn't really very convenient. There is very little near to the hotel in terms of bars, shops or restaurants unless you get the ferry across river. In Canary Wharf there are endless restaurants to choose from (but not many pubs) so this place is OK if you are happy to be confined back at your hotel before 10:30 or so.

With such a captive audience one would expect the hotel to do a thriving trade on food & drink but even room service was only available until circa 10:30pm which was also very disappointing. The hotel bar is OK & the barman on duty was the 1 member of staff who I found up to Hilton standard. Be warned however it is very expensive - a 275ml bottle of Beck's & a large Bells whiskey with coke was £16.40!

I probably would give this hotel another try if only for price, I haven't decided yet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I am very grateful that you have taken the time to share your feedback here. I would very much like to talk to you about your experience, and especially about the negatives that you have listed here. Please could you send your contact details to me at Joanna.Gale-Batten@Hilton.com.
Joanna Gale-Batten

Been to Hilton London Docklands? Share your experiences!