“Not a Hilton standard” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #559 of 1,049 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Not a Hilton standard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

On the one hand, the hotel is difficult to get to (it took two hours from Heathrow!). On the other hand, it's a lot of fun getting into central London from the hotel by boat, which leaves every twenty minutes. The boat ride is truly spectacular.
As to the hotel itself, the rooms are not really Hilton standard. Mine was very small, the carpet several years old, there is a door sill into the bathroom, across which one can stumble easily. I heard the neighbors talk in their room next door. The hallways are narrow and dark, and the service not particularly eager. I asked whether I could check out at 2pm. Only for an extra ten pounds! Why, I wonder. The hotel was far from fully booked.

Room Tip: try to get a room with Thames view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton London Docklands, responded to this review, June 30, 2012
Dear Mimicri,
Thank you for your review on this web site, your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations. It is particularly disappointing to read your comments about your stay, please be assured I will share your comments with the teams to ensure we re-focus on the standards expected both by Hilton and guests alike.
I do hope you get another chance to experience our hotel so that you can have a more enjoyable stay with us.
Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
  • Polish first
Hastings, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I was disgusted at the state of the family room with evidence of mould in the bathrooms and around the windows. There had been a leak from above a long while back leaving a big water stain on the entrance ceiling.
I emailed customer services but got no response and it was a waste of time speaking to the front desk as they didnt seem bothered.

Room Tip: look elsewhere
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Dear Stephen M,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review after your recent visit, please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment you have experience with the standard of the room you were allocated on your recent stay with us. Please be assured that I will investigate this personally with the department responsible to ensure that the issues you have highlighted are rectified.
Feedback is always important as it is a vital way of reviewing the level of service and facilities we provide our guests so as to make improvements.
I do hope that you get the opportunity to return to the hotel so that you can experience the changes we are making.
Devon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

With both family and friends who live London, I rarely need to book a hotel in town, earlier this year however I decided to treat myself and a friend to a mini-break as we had tickets to a gig at the O2. London's transport network means you can be pretty flexible on location, so I booked a 'Secret Hotel' via Lastminute.com which turned out to be the Hilton London Docklands.

Now, I'm something of a seasoned traveler and have pretty high standards of 4-star hotels, particularly about things like the cleanliness of bathrooms, comfort of beds, size of room etc; however, the twin room we stayed in (within the renovated Columbia Wharf building) was simply excellent. The only minor peeve I had was with the shower curtain …bit of a pet hate of mine, as I much prefer a glass partition. But other than that, the room was really very very good. And even at the full price, would still provide outstanding value for money.

We were also thrilled with the bar (and indeed the bar staff). Being able to sit on the Thames bank with a fabulous view of Canary Wharf, but without any of the noise and crowds usually associated with such an premium location, was an unexpected surprise. Presumably this is partly due to the fact that this hotel is really only accessible by ferry from Canary Wharf (which is free) or by bus from Canada Water (which isn't), but for me this added to the attraction as it makes the hotel more exclusive and less touristy. I should also point out that the restaurant was still serving food at 1am which is a HUGE plus when you've just done battle with the O2 crowds and the Jubilee line but haven't had time to stop for a bite.

Altogether a surprisingly pleasant surprise. I'll be returning to the Hilton London Docklands again during the Paralympics, and I'm really looking forward to it! :o)

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Mr DesignerGreg,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor, I am delighted to share your comment with the team to ensure we are constantly striving to deliver the standard of service that is rightly expected from the Hilton Brand.
I look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel during the Paralympics in London.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

Welcome to the hotel excellent,staff milling round,always helping and offering advice if required,on the way to our room spoke to one of the cleaners and asked advice of how to get to the centre and she was very helpful,rooms very good but bathroom small,check out fast .

hopper across water free of charge, nice touch views very good

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr Hughes49 ,

Thak you for taking the time to write your review , I am delighted that you found the accomodation , facilities and staff meet with your needs .
Please be assured that I have shared your review with the team so that we can continue to offer the servcie that is expected both by Hilton and guest alike.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

We were very excited about staying here on a Special Break Discount they have for a Sunday night and certainly on the face of it it seemed a very good deal for 2 people. We also had a good side view onto The Thames, having asked for one and had all gone to plan would have been writing a favourable review about our stay. However things quickly went wrong. Having walked all the way up with heavy bags the key card did not work so instead of walking all the way back down I waited for the person bringing the 2 bags. However they never came so I had to ring from my mobile to explain. Someone came with another swipe card but no Bags. After half an hour they still had not come and I wanted to change and go to sleep. So I phoned down only to be told "The Concierge is busy". What sort of Hotel is too busy to deliver a customer's bags? I had to go to sleep in my clothes on top of the bed half awake half asleep waiting for the bags which finally came much later. To my horror when I went to my bag I saw I had forgotten to lock it but was too tired to wonder if that was why it had taken so long. It was not til I got home I began to wonder if this was the reason they took so long-neither were locked- a massive oversight on my part rushing from another Hotel the night before. The Manager was helpful on the phone and listened to my story and has said they have put procedures in place to make sure it does not happen again but I would still advise against leaving your bags unlocked as they may go out of your sight for awhile. I would also advise taking your bags up yourself to be sure of getting them because it is so big and busy.
We could not park the car and had to leave it down the road-there is a steep ramp up to The Hotel which is quite tricky too. I actually liked its location and thought it was very interesting but it is not very convenient for activities in the Centre of London. However as ours were based in the area it was fine but it's a long walk to get to with no taxis around.
Breakfast was horrendous. There was a massive long line-about 30 people- just to get into the tiny very airless room. When we got in my family member felt ill from the lack of air in the room and we asked for a window to be opened which they would not do. All the Buffet part was in exactly the same place were everyone was standing in line-who thought that up?-so it was impossible to get to the bit where you could make toast. It was a chaotic mess.
On arrival I had asked to join The Hilton Honours programme but after the breakfast experience and the bags fiasco I would be very wary of ever staying in a Hilton Hotel again. As I travel for work I stay in lots of nice places and some not so good but it is quite rare to have had so many things disappoint I feel. I felt it was only fair to tell the Manager first before coming on Trip adviser my experience but I also feel it is only fair to fellow travellers to alert them to possible problems with this Hilton Hotel and this is one of the reasons why Trip adviser is so incredibly helpful. It allows ones little voice to be heard and hopefully alert people when choosing their Hotel to potential problems they can avoid.

Room Tip: Ring and ask for a view of The Thames. Look at their saver scheme.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dear Greathappyharmony,
Thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor and your observations are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of service and if we are addressing the needs and expectations of our guests.
It is particularly disappointing to read your comments about your stay, but please be assured measures have been reviewed to ensure no such scenario should be repeated.
It would be nice to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the not too distant future.
Kindest Regards
Dublin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

I don't like writing poor reviews, however when such reviews relate solely to the property, I have no difficulty. The property was just terrible. The carpet in my bedroom was stained all over. The room was a reasonable size, but does not like it was renovated in about 25 years. The bathroom was tiny, compared to the room. Worst of all, the room cost roughly 300 US dollars or 180 sterling. The staff were courteous, but I also saw a member of staff being quite rude to another guest in front of me. Very poor first impression. I will not away again and only regret not looking up this website before I decided to book a room there. As I said above, this hotel has got to be brand damaging for the Hilton brand, that is generally a safe bet. Ironically, their prices at the bar are more akin to 5 star service. 25 pounds sterling for 2 glasses of wine and 2 mineral waters. Ridiculous. My advice, for what it's worth...........shut it down, renovate, put under new management and train your staff. I wish you well.

Room Tip: Stay in another hotel. Even the other Hilton near London Bridge.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Dear CPKone,
Thank you for filling out a review on Trip Advisor. I am disappointed that you felt the property did not meet with your expectations. I can advise that we have done some soft refurbishment in several areas of the hotel over the last couple of month and they include the upgrade of our TV’s to flat screen LCD, in addition we have replaced the carpet in some of the bedrooms and update the bathrooms in 2 of our bedroom blocks.
We continue to work hard to ensure all our guests are made to feel welcome and I hope you get another chance to experience our hotel in the near future.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

Wow!! I thought that this would be a bit special, but Travelodge would have been a better idea!! OK I went in June, but I didn't expect that they would turn off the heating at 10.00 with no way to override. The radiator in the lounge had been disconnected - Lord knows why (!). Paint scuffs on the doors are obvious. Altogether: yuck!!!

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Highburyal,
Thank you for filling out a review on Trip Advisor , I am disappointed that there were aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations , please be assured that I have shared your feedback with the Management team so that we can focus our attention on the areas mentioned for improvement. I trust that recent events have not marred your opinion of our hotel and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.
Kind Regard
Hotel Manager

Been to Hilton London Docklands? Share your experiences!