“Fab venue - almost 5 out of 5” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Regency Hotel - Queen's Gate

You added Regency Hotel - Queen's Gate to your Saves list
Regency Hotel - Queen's Gate
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Queen's Gate | South Kensington, London SW7 5AG, England (Earls Court)   |
Ranked #490 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Fab venue - almost 5 out of 5”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have just used this hotel as a stop-over as we were going to a venue in the Royal Albert Hall. We weren't disappointed - this hotel was actually very good. We stayed on the 5th floor in room 507 which looked out onto the road at the front. Well it would have done had the window not been so high that you had to stand on a chair to look out. It felt a bit like being in a very swanky cell! This is the first of two reasons why it doesn't get 5 out of 5.

One thing that I did find a little peculiar was that it had curiously narrow corridors, but other than that, it had lots of up-market features.

For example - I liked the blue nightlight that illuminated the bottom 40 cm of the room, so that you could always see where you were going when the main lights were off.

I liked the super-clean facilities, fabulously clean bathroom, and the air conditioning was a must when you bear in mind it was 30 degrees outside. The bed in room 507 has to have been the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in in London, and I'm not a good sleeper when I'm away from home.

Breakfast was more than ample, but wasn't included in the hotel price.

On the night we stayed we used room service and were really pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food. We had pizza, I had a tomato and mozarella salad and e had some chunky chips. This plus a bottle of wine. What was nice was that it looked like someone had taken time over this meal - it didn't feel like it had been shoved in a microwave.

So what was my second (and final) gripe? I recently stayed in Torquay and complained in my review about the fact that these days soap and shampoo in hotel bathrooms seem to come out of dispensers. Don't have a problem with that as such - I do have a problem though as a bather, when the dispenser over the bath is at shoulder height if you are standing in the shower. In other words - you can't get any soap if you are lying in the bath. Come on Regency - can't you put a second one in lower down?

Other than this we really did enjoy our stay. The hotel staff were really lovely - very caring and couldn't do enough for us. Will we stay again - I would think this is highly likely.

Thanks Regency. Next time I'd like to give it a 5 out of 5.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front of the building have probably mostly (if not all) got high windows - so no good i...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (160)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Lafayette, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Hotel in a great location, close to shops, restaurants and the tube. Staff was wonderful, very friendly and knowledgeable. The concierage was extremely helpful in recommending best ways to get places and getting vouchers/tickets for places we wished to tour. The room was relatively small, but in excellent condition with excellent housekeeping. Breakfast was excellent and included in our reservation. Our flight arrived in the morning and we were thrilled that they let us check in before noon, after our long flight. We noticed others doing the same on following days, so must be a standard practice. We stayed here a week and loved it. Would definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

The best part of this hotel is the neighborhood; you stay for a few days and you feel like you live there. Out of the city bustle but easy access to everything. Its right across the street from the Kensington Hotel. They seem to be very similar. I prefer the Regency simply because if its more modern and less affected decor. I also like it because it has the character of a local hotel; its not just another Grand Hyatt or Hilton, although if that is what you are looking for you will not be happy at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I booked my reservation from a referral from a friend. On arrival I walked into this beautiful lobby and was welcomed as if I were an old friend. I arrived several days before my husband arrived. Everyone from the manager to all the staff couldn't do enough for me. The ambiance of the hotel felt like a small cozy hotel even though it is a very large hotel. The dinning room also felt like I was sitting in a cozy room. The hotel was extremely clean and very comfortable. The beds were amazing. The hotel is in a very convenient and safe area. I walked all over including Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, Harrod's department store and several museums. There are 2 stops for the Tube about a 5 minute walk from the hotel. On our next trip to London we will definitely stay at the Regency Hotel

Room Tip: From what I saw any room would be a good choice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed here on the recommendation of a friend but I won't do it again as I think that there are other, better value hotels in London. My problems started at checkin where there was no semblance of a smile or simple courtesy from the staff at reception. My room was pretty basic but OK with the exception that the shower pressure was far too low. The buffet breakfast at the hotel was just not worthwhile. One positive is the location which is close to (about 1km) Kensington/Hyde Parks if you like to get out for a run or just a stroll.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Gravesend, Kent, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I booked two twin Club rooms at The Regency through Hotel Direct at the "special" price of £230 per room, per night. This was paid for online to Hotel Direct, and confirmed by email. Two days prior to our stay, I received another email re-confirming our reservation. There was also phone message from the hotel, which I returned and at which time I confirmed that the two rooms would be adjacent. I also pre-booked two Continental and two English breakfasts at that time.

On the day, we arrived prior to check-in and were allowed to leave our bags. I filled out the registration cards at that time, and was given a ticket for the bags. Upon our return three hours later, it took 30 minutes to check in. The gentleman at the desk, whose diction was poor and accent unintelligible, couldn't find our reservation, despite my having given him a print-out of the confirming email. He finally found it under my first name. He then said that the rooms we had booked were not available, but that he could provide two rooms several floors apart. I told him that this was not acceptable, and that the arrangements had been confirmed by his colleage two days prior. While he was searching for something better, the manager on duty asked him what the problem was. Upon hearing the explanation the manager said, in front of me, "Well, if we haven't got it, we haven't got it" and walked away with a shrug, hardly an attitude befitting a 4-star hotel. By this time we were running late for our dinner appointment, so I finally settled for an "upgrade" (no extra charge) to two rooms directly above and below each other (303 and 403), which the gentleman at the desk seemed to think qualified as adjacent. We then had to wait again while someone else went to find our bags, even though I had presented the bag ticket when I first stepped up to the desk. Couldn't that have been done during the 30-minute check-in process?

The rooms were not twin rooms, as the beds were simply twin mattresses pushed together into one big bed, with no space between them. If this is the case, why offer "twin" rooms? The room was clean, modern and pleasantly decorated, but small and very basic with poor lighting. The "climate control" was not adequate to cool the room on a warm July day, even after running for 40 minutes. The bathroom was tiny, with lighting even more dismal than the bedroom. Putting on makeup in the bathroom was impossible, and the bedroom not much better. One large bottle of hand soap was by the bathroom sink and another in the shower, but they were not luxury products and there were no other toiletries provided. If this was an upgrade, I dread to think what the basic rooms are like.

As the key card had to be left in the room in order to run the power, the room was quite warm when we returned after dinner at 11:30 p.m. Fortunately, the windows opened, providing some relief but, because we had been "upgraded" from Club rooms in the back to Queensgate rooms in the front, it meant that we had the considerable noise of Old Brompton Road all night, including emergency vehicles. Some upgrade.

Both the Continental and the English breakfasts were adequate, but no more; the Holiday Inn in Doncaster (where I stayed a couple of weeks ago) was sumptuous by comparison. While coffee and tea were offered and brought promptly, no one came to take our orders for the English breakfasts and I had to find the manager to accomplish that.

The kerfuffle at check-out was just as bad as check-in. The same gentleman once again couldn't find my information, and didn't even remember that I had two rooms. I had to remind him of the room numbers (even though I had handed him the key cards) and the breakfasts, though he did have the information for the bottle of champagne we had ordered through room service. He then tried to charge me for both rooms. When I reminded him that I had booked online through Hotel Direct, he asked for my email confirmation, which I then had to remind him he had taken from me when I checked in. Eventually he found it, charged me for the champage, and handed me a receipt showing that payment of £170 was due. I brought this to his attention and he apologised, saying that he had given me the wrong receipt. If that was the case, then why did it have my name on it? All in all, it took over 30 minutes to finally get checked out with a receipt showing I had paid in full.

After I left, I realised that I hadn't been charged for the breakfasts, but I feel certain that this was not a token gesture of apology, but simply another error in the shambolic front-desk service. The Regency could learn a thing or two from Premiere Inn or Holiday Inn, which provide better accommodations and superior service at a fraction of the price.

Room Tip: Club rooms in the back are quieter than more expensive Queensway rooms in the front.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Regency Hotel - Queen's Gate? Share your experiences!