“A welcoming stay in London” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Regency Hotel - Queen's Gate

Save Saved
You added Regency Hotel - Queen's Gate to your Saves list
Regency Hotel - Queen's Gate
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Queen's Gate | South Kensington, London SW7 5AG, England (Earls Court)   |
Ranked #432 of 1,073 hotels in London
Phoenix
“A welcoming stay in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I booked my reservation from a referral from a friend. On arrival I walked into this beautiful lobby and was welcomed as if I were an old friend. I arrived several days before my husband arrived. Everyone from the manager to all the staff couldn't do enough for me. The ambiance of the hotel felt like a small cozy hotel even though it is a very large hotel. The dinning room also felt like I was sitting in a cozy room. The hotel was extremely clean and very comfortable. The beds were amazing. The hotel is in a very convenient and safe area. I walked all over including Hyde Park, Kensington Gardens, Harrod's department store and several museums. There are 2 stops for the Tube about a 5 minute walk from the hotel. On our next trip to London we will definitely stay at the Regency Hotel

Room Tip: From what I saw any room would be a good choice.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

803 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I stayed here on the recommendation of a friend but I won't do it again as I think that there are other, better value hotels in London. My problems started at checkin where there was no semblance of a smile or simple courtesy from the staff at reception. My room was pretty basic but OK with the exception that the shower pressure was far too low. The buffet breakfast at the hotel was just not worthwhile. One positive is the location which is close to (about 1km) Kensington/Hyde Parks if you like to get out for a run or just a stroll.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Gravesend, Kent, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I booked two twin Club rooms at The Regency through Hotel Direct at the "special" price of £230 per room, per night. This was paid for online to Hotel Direct, and confirmed by email. Two days prior to our stay, I received another email re-confirming our reservation. There was also phone message from the hotel, which I returned and at which time I confirmed that the two rooms would be adjacent. I also pre-booked two Continental and two English breakfasts at that time.

On the day, we arrived prior to check-in and were allowed to leave our bags. I filled out the registration cards at that time, and was given a ticket for the bags. Upon our return three hours later, it took 30 minutes to check in. The gentleman at the desk, whose diction was poor and accent unintelligible, couldn't find our reservation, despite my having given him a print-out of the confirming email. He finally found it under my first name. He then said that the rooms we had booked were not available, but that he could provide two rooms several floors apart. I told him that this was not acceptable, and that the arrangements had been confirmed by his colleage two days prior. While he was searching for something better, the manager on duty asked him what the problem was. Upon hearing the explanation the manager said, in front of me, "Well, if we haven't got it, we haven't got it" and walked away with a shrug, hardly an attitude befitting a 4-star hotel. By this time we were running late for our dinner appointment, so I finally settled for an "upgrade" (no extra charge) to two rooms directly above and below each other (303 and 403), which the gentleman at the desk seemed to think qualified as adjacent. We then had to wait again while someone else went to find our bags, even though I had presented the bag ticket when I first stepped up to the desk. Couldn't that have been done during the 30-minute check-in process?

The rooms were not twin rooms, as the beds were simply twin mattresses pushed together into one big bed, with no space between them. If this is the case, why offer "twin" rooms? The room was clean, modern and pleasantly decorated, but small and very basic with poor lighting. The "climate control" was not adequate to cool the room on a warm July day, even after running for 40 minutes. The bathroom was tiny, with lighting even more dismal than the bedroom. Putting on makeup in the bathroom was impossible, and the bedroom not much better. One large bottle of hand soap was by the bathroom sink and another in the shower, but they were not luxury products and there were no other toiletries provided. If this was an upgrade, I dread to think what the basic rooms are like.

As the key card had to be left in the room in order to run the power, the room was quite warm when we returned after dinner at 11:30 p.m. Fortunately, the windows opened, providing some relief but, because we had been "upgraded" from Club rooms in the back to Queensgate rooms in the front, it meant that we had the considerable noise of Old Brompton Road all night, including emergency vehicles. Some upgrade.

Both the Continental and the English breakfasts were adequate, but no more; the Holiday Inn in Doncaster (where I stayed a couple of weeks ago) was sumptuous by comparison. While coffee and tea were offered and brought promptly, no one came to take our orders for the English breakfasts and I had to find the manager to accomplish that.

The kerfuffle at check-out was just as bad as check-in. The same gentleman once again couldn't find my information, and didn't even remember that I had two rooms. I had to remind him of the room numbers (even though I had handed him the key cards) and the breakfasts, though he did have the information for the bottle of champagne we had ordered through room service. He then tried to charge me for both rooms. When I reminded him that I had booked online through Hotel Direct, he asked for my email confirmation, which I then had to remind him he had taken from me when I checked in. Eventually he found it, charged me for the champage, and handed me a receipt showing that payment of £170 was due. I brought this to his attention and he apologised, saying that he had given me the wrong receipt. If that was the case, then why did it have my name on it? All in all, it took over 30 minutes to finally get checked out with a receipt showing I had paid in full.

After I left, I realised that I hadn't been charged for the breakfasts, but I feel certain that this was not a token gesture of apology, but simply another error in the shambolic front-desk service. The Regency could learn a thing or two from Premiere Inn or Holiday Inn, which provide better accommodations and superior service at a fraction of the price.

Room Tip: Club rooms in the back are quieter than more expensive Queensway rooms in the front.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

There was no welcome when we arrived. We were told ...yes told to complete a registration card. Then we were kept waiting. The concierge did not even bother to help us while the person performing the check-in was busy helping other guests. When this person eventually freed up, it also took my prompting to help us. The room was small but clean.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Location is in a quiet section of Knightsbridge, better for sleep and is close to train stop. Room has been renovated with the latest design, but crowded and with inadequate lighting for room. Bathroom is with ambient lighting, not for a good scrub, or putting on make-up. Bathtub/shower has no safety bar nor non-slip surface. Room is quiet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

A great location with some great cafes and bars nearby (try the french bakery on Dunkerque!). We were a little disappointed that upon arrival, all the extras we thought would be included, things like the gym and access to WIFI, were in fact charged as extras. The staff were friendly, however you should make sure your "Do Not Disturb" is active at all times. We had cleaners enter the room three times (the first time at 7am) on our first morning. Then on the third, even with the do not disturb active, we still had a maid knocking on the door at 8am asking if we wanted the room cleaned, which wasn't great.
Otherwise it was a comfortable stay. No major issues, but probably a bit overpriced for what it was. Don't bother with ordering room service either, the food is particularly overpriced and not all that enjoyable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Regency Hotel - Queen's Gate? Share your experiences!