“great hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Regency Hotel - Queen's Gate

Save Saved
You added Regency Hotel - Queen's Gate to your Saves list
Regency Hotel - Queen's Gate
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Queen's Gate | South Kensington, London SW7 5AG, England (Earls Court)   |
Ranked #423 of 1,075 hotels in London
Exeter, United Kingdom
“great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Just returned from a weekend to London staying at the Regency. Great hotel with lovely staff. Everyone who worked there was polite and couldn't do enough to help us. Would love to stay at the Regency again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

857 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at the Regency many times and so have my colleagues and each stay has not been without its problems, 90% of them at check in! The first time I stayed I found the hotel had cancelled my booking and the hotel was full, they weren't interested in finding me a room even though the fault lay with them and not me, that should have been enough to warn me off but I booked once again as the training I attend actually takes place in the hotel so it's easier all round (or so I thought) to stay there. My second attempt was as bad, I had booked a superior Queensgate room which comes with extras such as free wifi, private lounge and access to the gym yet none of this was pointed out to me when I checked in and I had to ask where the gym was, where the lounge was etc. I was in the lounge and needed the wifi password, I asked the barman and he replied that I had to get it from reception, there was no offer to ring and get it from me, oh no, instead I had to pack up all my belongings, laptop, phone, bag etc and trail upstairs to reception to get it. The next day when I arrived at the lounge there was no barman, it's supposed to open at 5, by 5.20 I had enough and trailed upstairs to reception to complain, 5 minutes later a sulky looking barman arrived who proceeded to tell me I shouldn't be in the lounge as I wasn't in a superior room! Every stay since has been pretty much the same, lazy receptionists who are more than prepared to argue the toss with you, even though you are right! My colleagues stayed there recently and even though they had paid for a superior room were shoved in something resembling a broom cupboard and charged for using the gym, even though it was included in the price! My colleague is there now and just text me to say the check in was traumatic, it was the usual story of even though she has booked a superior room the receptionist is saying that she hasn't booked one! Nobody showed her where anything was and the staff were really abrupt and off with her. So take my advice, don't stay here, stay at the Millenium Bailey hotel instead, a far superior hotel with far superior staff.

• Stayed October 2012
Christopher G, General Manager at Regency Hotel - Queen's Gate, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Helen,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding your recent visits to the hotel and at this late stage please accept my sincere apologies.
I was both upset and concerned, to read your comments, although I am happy to say that since your last visit in September we have reviewed our reception staffing and procedures to ensure the points you raised will not happen again. With regard to the opening times of the Elysium Lounge the bar usually opens in the evening at 17.30hrs ,the details of which are outlined on a letter you should have been given to you on arrival,which from your review I assume you never recieved.With all training companies who use the hotel we liase closley with them pre and post courses for feedback on the hotel as another way to ensure we get the all positive and negative feedback.
Once again Helen I am sorry that you have not experienced a warm welcome, but please rest assurred your comments have been taken in a constructive way in order for us to highlight weaknesses in our service delivary.

Kind Regards

Christopher Guy
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Hotel was very well located with two tube station within walking distance. I had a car and was very lucky to be able to find public parking as it was also a weekend when I was there. I use their GYM facility which as rather small but had all the latest equipment that I need. I was also lucky that for the 2 days that I was there I was the only one using the GYM, viewing their records. The rooms were small but decently decorated and very clean. I found their bed on the softer side and would have preferred a firmer mattress. Overall I would still recommend this hotel for its location and helpfull staff.

Room Tip: Ask for higher level rooms with view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
manchester
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The Regency hotel has undergone a refurbishment and the rooms are now modern, clean but not entirely spacious. I had a double room and since I was on my own this was fine but with two people it could be a problem. The main issue is the basic design of the room that has the TV and table at the foot of the bed rather than to one side. This means that if someone is working at the table the only way the other person can get from one side of the room to the other is by scrambling over the bed. Not impossible but not ideal. Unlike other reviewers I found the staff friendly, courteous and thoroughly professional. The location is excellent, especially for the museums in South Kensington.
There are less expensive hotels in the area so whether this hotel represents good value is debatable. The inclusive breakfast is very basic, juice, coffee and the smallest croissant you have ever seen. As with most hotels the breakfast is ridiculously expensive. I would avoid this, there are lots of cafes just a short walk away around South Kensington underground. These are much better value.

Room Tip: I had a room on the first floor overlooking Queensgate which I thought might be noisy but it was fin...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The Regency is a fine modern take on an old building, unfortunately owing to its desire to squeeze in the maximum number of rooms to the property it provides very poor value for money.

We forked over a hefty chunk of change for our night here ahead of a flight from Heathrow. The location is around 10 minutes walk to South Kensington tube for the Piccadilly line and to local attractions.

The mattress was excellent for sleeping but less good for a romantic evening. There, I said it.

The rooms were clean and modren but smaller than a Premier Inn, Days Inn and Travelodge. The WiFi was also extortionate conside4ing the price already paid.

Also, don't expect a good view.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

This is a beautifully refurbished and maintained hotel with very helpful staff. However, when I book a four star rated property I not only expect this I also expect a good nights rest! Walls and floors are poorly if at all sound proofed and therefore all manner of noise, conversation, footsteps etc are heard. The first room we were located in, I had to listen to the conversation of the people next door until 2:45am! The volume of conversation was normal, but because of lack of sound proofing the conversation might as well have taken place in our hotel room. In the new room we were allocated in, we had to listen and try to sleep with footsteps from above and thorough fare of people in the long narrow hallway, but as this was happening at 'acceptable times', there really wasn't much we could do! Hence, if you want to sleep and not be disturbed and you book this hotel, bring earplugs, ask for a room on the top floor and at the very end of the hallway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor and and at the very end of the hallway and bring earplugs!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I was very pleasantly surprised by this central London Hotel. The location was perfect - just a short walk from South Kensington and Gloucester Road tube stations, and an easy walk to the museums and Knightsbridge shopping. It is surrounded by good restaurants and bars, but not so close as to be noisy at night. The hotel reception area is modern and spacious, and although the rooms are small (which is nearly always the case in London), they are very clean and comfortable and the decor is modern and attractive. The staff are helpful and friendly. Overall, I thought it was extremely good value given the amazing location, and I'll definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you are travelling as a couple, it would be worth paying a little extra for a larger room. The st...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Regency Hotel - Queen's Gate? Share your experiences!