“Poor housekeeping” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel

You added Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel to your Saves list
Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Park Lane, London W1K 7TN , England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points!
Ranked #206 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Poor housekeeping”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Grosvenor House for a romantic break over Christmas. He chose this hotel as a surprise so our hopes were very high. Check in was fine and the staff were helpful. As we made our way to the room we couldn't help but notice an unpleasant smell throughout the corridors but we put it down to the age of the building. As we got settled into our room, however, we found some underwear from the previous occupants still in the wardrobe, hair in the bath and plughole and no cups with the tea/coffee making facilities. We also found that the bottom of the bath was chipped and the shower head was broken. Before we even had a chance to phone down to services, a member of staff tried to enter our room twice and walked away without a word when we tried to ask if we could help her with anything. After phoning services about the aforementioned issues, the same member of staff came to our room, took it upon herself to rearrange things in the room and left, without an apology, saying that somebody else would be up to deal with it. The room was eventually cleaned. Since our stay, I have written to Grosvenor House about our stay and i'm yet to receive a reply. We have just this weekend stayed in another hotel which cost less that 10% of what we paid at Grosvenor House and found it to be a much more enjoyable stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review with us based upon your visit with us over the holiday period. First and foremost, I wish to extend my sincere apologies for the issues you experienced in regards to cleanliness of your guestroom. Clearly these are not the service levels we pride ourselves on. Your concerns have been addressed with our Housekeeping Management team for the review and internal follow up.

I can confirm that we have recieved your letter; however as there were no contact number or email address noted, a letter went out from my office. As it appears that this correspondence did not reach you, I have contacted you via a separate email to your TripAdvisor account in order to address your concerns. I am looking forward to speaking to you and I am confident we can come to a positive resolution.

Once again, thank you for brining these issues to my attention.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for one night as we were attending a corporate awards ceremony being held there. Our company budget didn't stretch to room each, so a colleague and I shared a twin room.

Our room was huge (possibly we had been upgraded as our other colleagues didn't have the same experience). Super comfortable large single beds, although they were right next to each other without a space inbetween which would be a bit disturbing if you didn't know the person you were sharing with well. The hotel has tradititional decor with marble bathrooms, and everyting looked very well maintained.

Lovely staff on reception, treated us just as well as any other guest despite obviously being part of huge industry event rather than "proper" guests who's chosen to stay there!

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floors seem to be bigger
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for posting such a favorable review about our hotel. I trust you enjoyed the splendor and grandness of the Great Room which I am sure was a perfect setting for your awards ceremony.

I am delighted that you found our guest rooms to be of such high standard. As you and several other members of the Trip Advisor community have pointed out recently, our rooms are definitely some of the more spacious ones in London. I keep on adding to our list of guests who mention that they have had one of their best night's sleep ever - and I do believe we have found yet another fan of our plush bedding.

On behalf of the entire Grosvenor House team it would be our pleasure to welcome you back the next time you are looking for that perfect getaway for a weekend stay in London.

Lancashire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

I used the Grosvenor House as the base for an anniversary weekend in London. I can't comment much about the hotel food as the only meals we took were breakfasts. They were taken in the Steak House on Park Lane so the location was fine. It was the standard hotel buffet breakfast - my wife ordered some poached eggs which were good.
I have to say that the room was very good (Superior Room) plenty of floor space with a separate dressing area and well appointed bathroom. The bed must be at least 7 feet wide and was very comfortable. The room had the amenities one would expect from a 5 star hotel. this included web access on the TV - although this was a bit slow.
I have stayed at he Dorchester (almost next door) and would say that the Grosvenor is good value for money in comparison. Basically, we saved (significantly) on the hotel room so we could eat at the better restaurants in the Dorchester.

Room Tip: Room was booked via a discount club (Voyage Prive) - so was an upgrade for the same price as a small...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting such a great review after your recent visit with us. I am delighted that we could make your anniversary celebration such a memorable one. Having recently stayed in one of our Superior rooms myself, I certainly agree with your observation about the spaciousness and the layout. Also, it is great to see that we have yet another fan of the now world famous Marriott Revive bedding package. It is simply the perfect setting for a great night's rest.

I do hope we get an opportunity to welcome you back to Grosvenor House on your next visit to London.

Warm Regards,

Malmo, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed one night for business. Great large room with very comfortable beds. Dark and quiet room during night. Didnt try breakfast but lunch was good. Didnt check out in time but that was not a problem. Dont understand why WiFi isnt free.
Easy access from Heathrow to Paddington + subway a short ride to Bond Street.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing the Grosvenor House as your base whilst visiting London. I am delighted that you enjoyed the spaciousness of your guest room; which are among the largest in London. Although we do offer a fee based internet service in our guest rooms, we are very pleased to offer a one hour complimentary WIFI access in our lobby and restaurant areas. I do hope you got an opportunity to enjoy this service.

I do hope we get an opportunity to welcome you back to Grosvenor House A JW Marriott Hotel in the future.

Best Regards,

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

I have stayed at all of the Marriott hotels in the area--Parklane, Grosvenors Square, Marble Arch and now the JW.

The JW Marriott is definitely nicer than the others. The rooms, the gym, the lobby, the restaurants are all grander and fancier. The JW also has a number of small touches that are nice.

All of these hotels are convenient, near Oxford Street shopping at the Central Line on the Subway.

Dear Aaron,

Thank you for your wonderful review and for being such a loyal member of the Marriott family. I do look forward to welcoming you back to Grosvenor House A JW Marriott Hotel on your next visit to London.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Have stayed at the GH a couple of times. Apart from the Mayfair location and cleanliness, not really much going on for the hotel. Room service quality and service is just horrible - ordered three times and each time something was very off. Other than that, just seemed like a standard 4* hotel really, edging on 4.5 maybe...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Morten S, Hotel Manager at Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am disappointed to learn about your experience with our In Room Dining team. On behalf of the entire team, please accept my sincere apologies in this regards.

I have taken the liberty to contact you directly as I would like to get an opportunity to learn more about your concerns so that we can avoid similar situations in the future.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Central to London, good access to Bond Street shopping, the Tube and Hyde Park. Wonderful tea room, great steakhouse and bars--Grosvenor House has it all.
If you happen to be Gold level with access to Concierge level, it is one of the very best lounges for Marriott, with an attentive staff and great breakfast, snacks and beverages.

Room Tip: Higher level rooms offer a great view of the city.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Grosvenor House, A JW Marriott Hotel? Share your experiences!