“Nice hotel service could be better” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Kensington London

You added Rydges Kensington London to your Saves list
Rydges Kensington London
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   61 Gloucester Road, London SW7 4PE, England (South Kensington)   |
Ranked #419 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel service could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My partner recently booked this hotel for my birthday, the location was handy for various locations and the proximity to the tube was good. On arriving at the hotel we booked in and were told we would get the continental breakfast with or room, we explanied the receptionist that we booked a full English, to which he replied "can you prove it". To be honest I thought that was quite rude and inappropriate, and for the price we paid I would have thought someone would have offered to take the bags to the room to. At breakfast no side plates, butter knife or toast were provided so we had to ask for them and even then we were given a steak knife? So all in the hotel was good but the service not so.

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor to avoid the road noise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Phil B

Thank you for your recent review, first of all, hope you had a wonderful birthday. I have investigated the continental breakfast issue and apologise at the lack of customer service my staff have provided. Rude and inappropriate is the last thing you would expect from any staff and I have informed their manager accordingly. Usually a porter is present at checkin times and I have presented this to our front office manager also.
I have spoken with our Food and Beverage Manager and advised him of the breakfast situation, he was unaware this was the case and has made the neccessary changes to ensure this does not happen again.

Thank you for your review, although it was not as possitive as I would have liked it has made me aware of issues which I can correct for our future guests.

Hope to see you when you are next in London

Joanna Carruthers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Greek first
Singapore,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Rydges Hotel whilst we were staying in London for a few nights whilst we met up with friends, saw some London sights and enjoyed London. The hotel is clean, smart and feels very new. It is well presented and the bar and breakfast room were chic and cosy. The hotel is situated in the middle of Gloucester Road so it was very easy to get to the Tube and or get to Kensington Palace. Best of all every cabbie knew the hotel! We are British, but have lived in Singapore for the last two years so were just visiting friends and family, but I was shocked at the customer service we received whilst staying at the Rydges Hotel. Firstly I was 6 months pregnant and there are a few steps up to the entrance of the Hotel which is fine, but my poor husband had to cart all our luggage up the steps in the pouring rain whilst a member of staff looked on behind the closed front door. Secondly there were approx. 4 members of staff behind the reception desk to supposedly greet us, but not one ever gained eye contact or spoke to us untill we were told what floor our room was on. It was then that we discovered the lift was out of use and were told we would have to take the stairs and our own luggage up to our room. Great! Poor husband had to do a few trips.
The room was tiny, but very clean and had everything you needed to sleep and rest. Our stay was pleasant enough, the hotel was exactly what we needed and the location was excellent. I was just hoping for some customer service, not even great, but just some. Best of all after being told our check out time was noon, we had an angry receptionist phone the room at 11am and demand to know why we had not left yet and we were even threatened with paying extra as we were still in the room at 11.55am. We checked out at noon and never looked back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear NatashaBailie

Thank you for your review, you described the breakfast room as 'chic' which is a very fitting word to use for our restaurant I. The location is one of our greatest assets as its not so in town to be right in the middle of the London hussle and bussle but it is still a close enough journey to picadilly and other central London locations.

I am shocked at the level of customer service you have received, A porter should be present at all times and if by chance they are not someone in reception should have taken iniative and certainly helped you and your husband out. I am higly dissapointed in my team regarding your customer service and have taken this up with the front office manager.

I am pleased you liked the room and our location, unfortunately being a central London location some of the rooms have been limited by size. the customer service is definitely an issue and has been addressed will be improved on.

If you do deceide to venture to London again, please let me know and I will ensure you are well looked after.

Best wishes and luck for the birth of your new born.

sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Would stay here again, central location,staff were helpful when needed. I liked the Bar it felt like sitting in a lounge room with friends around an open fire. The lady serving drinks there was very friendly and helped keep the ambience in the room bright and cheerful

Room Tip: Get above the first floor. I was on the fourth floor great views and no traffic noise
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Alan0056

Thank you for your kind review, our location certainly proves us well and it is our pleasure that the customer service is of a good standard. Our Polo Bar is certainly a more cosy homely feel to most other bars to try and ensure a more relaxing stay with us.

Thank you for choosing Rydges as your home away from home, If you decide to return to the UK we hope to see you again.

Galway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Stayed for two nights last weekend and I would highly recommend it.
It is a lovely modern stylish boutique hotel, well located for travel around London. The rooms are smallish in size, very clean but beautifully decorated with fridge,coffee making facilities,hairdryer,comfy beds, safe and lovely bathroom stocked with lovely toiletries and great large bath towels but again small in size.
We ate breakfast in the many choices of retaurants located nearby outside of the hotel.
We had their special in the bar of Burger and pint for £10 and it was excellent, they also have Happy Hour from 6pm to 8pm and I have to mention the bar staff were so pleasant as indeed the check in staff.
All in all a most pleasant stay in London and will be back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear GCSI

Thank you for your reveiw, I'm glad you would recommend the Rydges as your home away from home.

Our location is certainly a great asset, being at such a central location unfortunately some of our rooms are hindered by their size. Overall, im glad you enjoyed the room and its facilities.

I will advise The Polo Bar's staff as well as reception staff of your comments as I am sure that they will be pleased that their work is appreciated by our guests.

I am glad you had a pleasent stay and look forward to welcoming you back

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Cannot say very much positive about this hotel. Advertised services are non existent,for example free Internet access costs uk10 pounds a day, 24 hour room service means reception can give you the number of a pizza shop, smallest room i have stayed at in UK. Ordinary breakfast at charge of 20 pounds. Staff are unhelpful. I am definitely not hard to please but I do not know how anyone could give this hotel a positive review. I've been in Europe and UK past 16 days and this being my last stay before returning home, all I can say is I can't wait to get home. Really ruined what was otherwise a good trip.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Warren M

Thank you for your review and my apologies for having such an unpleasent stay, the internet is at a cost, this is being looked at and reviewed for next year. 24 hour room service is available but off-peak hours (2300-06am) there is a limited selection of food.

The room size is due to being such a central location in London space is very limited, we have however ensured that the space has been utilised for maximum comfort along side the amenities that we provide.

I would definitely speak to my staff regarding their unhelpfulness, if you could provide me with more informaton I can address the employees directly.

Once again my sincere apologies for our unpleasent stay, if you deceide to stay withus again please let me know and I will ensure a better outcome.

Sunbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Rydges Hotel is a perfect location to the museums and many bars and eating places. Hotel was very clean and staff very helpful. We stayed in executive King Suite, was fabulous. Would stay there again definately. Only downfall was no hairdryer.

Dear rbc_51

Thank you for your recent reveiw, our location certainly serves us well. I can only apologise regarding the room size, but as being such a central location in London space is very limited. in our recent refurbishment we have ensured maximum space as well as room for the facilities.

I am shocked that you mentioned the bathroom to our reception and they just laughed it off, I wil speak to the front office manager as this should have been brought to my attention at this time.

I have advised my Food and Beverage Manager regarding your findings with dinner and breakfast and we have since re-trained and hired an extra staff member on our busy days.

Thank you very much for bringing these very valid point to my attention.

I appreciate your comments and if you do decide to return to Rydges please let me know and I will ensure that your stay is a pleasent one.

Southport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed for three nights in November. Good location close to Gloucester Road tube and convenient for Museums, Kensington High Street.
Our room 210 was an Executive and overlooked Gloucester Road. I was disappointed at the size of the room seeing that it was an ,but it was nicely decorated and the bed was comfortable. The main problem with the room was the ensuite. It had a shower but no bath which wasn't a problem, but the room was so small that you had to negotiate the wash hand basin to get into it. I really don't know how anyone bigger than me (and I'm only small) could manage. I booked an Executive Room thinking I'd be getting something a bit special, but no, I've had better standard rooms elsewhere. When we mentioned the bathroom size on checking out the Reception staff laughed and said yes some of the bathrooms are small!
We ate in the Jam Cupboard restaurant on our first night and it was pleasant enough with good food and service, but then it was let down badly for breakfast each morning by the chaotic staff who really didn't know what each of their roles were. Saying that the cooked breakfasts were tasty enough.
On the whole the hotel was ok but nothing special.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Rydges Kensington London? Share your experiences!