I've stayed about 5 times and each time it's got worse even though the hotel was refurbished for the london Olympics.
Now the character has gone and the wonderful rear sitting rooms with bookshelves that added to the character have been replaced by closed doors hiding 'meeting rooms'.
It's over-priced with very small rooms whatever standard is selected. Worst is the lack of authority of management and maybe the owners are Malaysian rather than Australian as inferred. hence the need for staff to follow rules. except of course manning and organisation of reception is poor.
We booked in at 11am and paid out guarantee moving our bags to the store. We were allocated room 408 on the skylight level that we were assured was a front room equivalent to rooms on lower floors that I've stayed in before.
We returned at 5 pm to find we'd been re-allocated room 108 so I expected a room i'd stayed in before over the front entrance with a small balcony. A very nice touch so I thought.
the room was already occupied when we opened the door and reception didn't believe me. It took 2 trips by the duty consierge to be convinced that towels over chairs and curling tongs on the table meant occupation.
after mad panics and 'computer says' we were told we had to stay in a cellar room. Maybe they said basement but don't be mislead. It is the old cellar and it smells like one. Fancy decoration but still a cellar room that can be viewed by the passers by on the street.
We put up with it for 1 of the 2 nights but we were beneath the bar that meant loud footsteps till almost 1am on the wooden floors. Then it started again at 4am as the cleaners arrived and the buzz of vaccuum cleaners or polishing machines started.
It stopped about 5-30am.
I managed free internet access for the inconvenience but nobody knew who was in our room because the hotel doesn't have this information. Thank goodness there wasn't a fire. also in the cellar since the fire doors are propped open to try to reduce the damp smell.
So off to day 2 before we left. No hot water and another 'sorry'. Nothing we can do guv we've sent for the engineer. 9-30am it's back on but too late for me.
No action, no customer care and no sign of any concern.
lots more customers will visit and no need to worry whilst London is busy. just increase the room tariffs for UK residents and offer big discounts and better rooms to overseas visitors.
We should have stayed outside London and travelled in. Big cities don't like regular customers they might complain that standards aren't acceptable.
What a pity such a wonderful old building has such modern decor inside. As soon as the front door is opened the appeal rushes out into the street.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rydges Kensington London is a four star deluxe design inspired boutique hotel which has been fully refurbished in 2011. Facilities include wired and wireless internet, fitness suite, Restaurant & Wine Bar, Lounge Bar, 24 hour room service etc. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, LondonMarketing.com, Agoda, Priceline and HotelTravel.com so you can book your Rydges Kensington London reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rydges Kensington London Hotel London
- Rydges Kensington Plaza London
- Hotel Rydges Kensington Plaza
- Hotel London Rydges
- Rydges London
- Rydges Kensington London England