“Great Location but that's it.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Rydges Kensington London

You added Rydges Kensington London to your Saves list
Rydges Kensington London
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   61 Gloucester Road, London SW7 4PE, England (South Kensington)   |
Ranked #419 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“Great Location but that's it.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've stayed about 5 times and each time it's got worse even though the hotel was refurbished for the london Olympics.
Now the character has gone and the wonderful rear sitting rooms with bookshelves that added to the character have been replaced by closed doors hiding 'meeting rooms'.
It's over-priced with very small rooms whatever standard is selected. Worst is the lack of authority of management and maybe the owners are Malaysian rather than Australian as inferred. hence the need for staff to follow rules. except of course manning and organisation of reception is poor.
We booked in at 11am and paid out guarantee moving our bags to the store. We were allocated room 408 on the skylight level that we were assured was a front room equivalent to rooms on lower floors that I've stayed in before.
We returned at 5 pm to find we'd been re-allocated room 108 so I expected a room i'd stayed in before over the front entrance with a small balcony. A very nice touch so I thought.
the room was already occupied when we opened the door and reception didn't believe me. It took 2 trips by the duty consierge to be convinced that towels over chairs and curling tongs on the table meant occupation.
after mad panics and 'computer says' we were told we had to stay in a cellar room. Maybe they said basement but don't be mislead. It is the old cellar and it smells like one. Fancy decoration but still a cellar room that can be viewed by the passers by on the street.
We put up with it for 1 of the 2 nights but we were beneath the bar that meant loud footsteps till almost 1am on the wooden floors. Then it started again at 4am as the cleaners arrived and the buzz of vaccuum cleaners or polishing machines started.
It stopped about 5-30am.
I managed free internet access for the inconvenience but nobody knew who was in our room because the hotel doesn't have this information. Thank goodness there wasn't a fire. also in the cellar since the fire doors are propped open to try to reduce the damp smell.
So off to day 2 before we left. No hot water and another 'sorry'. Nothing we can do guv we've sent for the engineer. 9-30am it's back on but too late for me.
No action, no customer care and no sign of any concern.
lots more customers will visit and no need to worry whilst London is busy. just increase the room tariffs for UK residents and offer big discounts and better rooms to overseas visitors.
We should have stayed outside London and travelled in. Big cities don't like regular customers they might complain that standards aren't acceptable.
What a pity such a wonderful old building has such modern decor inside. As soon as the front door is opened the appeal rushes out into the street.

Room Tip: Only go for front rooms and ask for upgrades to Executive.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Greek first
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Still suffering from "post vacation depression", and our wonderful stay at the Rydges has made it worse! We (hubby and me) stayed at the Rydges October 16th-27th in an executive king room. Apparently, a King Size bed is the equivalent of a Queen in the States, but that was no problem for us. The room was very nice, recently refurbished as others have stated, very modern and simple..the way I like things. This being our 1st time to the UK and reading the hotel room space is limited at best (comparatively speaking to U.S. rooms), we were pleasantly surprised. Absolutely perfect for the 2 of us!

We decided to take the "red eye" from Detroit to allow us a less congested tube ride with our luggage, arrived at Heathrow at 11am. Customs was a breeze. Following the advice of fellow TA members, obtained our Oyster Card, topped off with 10 pounds each. Easily found the tube from terminal 4, jumped on the Piccadilly line to Gloucester Road, it was direct. (Pronounced "glow-ster"... We added an H...lol). There are 26 steps (I didn't count, someone told me) to street level, however, with just one trip up and another down when we left with our luggage, really no problem. The tube station is a city block from the hotel. For those of you considering private transport, I would say, don't worry...it's part of the adventure, and everyone does it!

Check in was smooth and quick, our room was ready when we arrived. We faced the street, room 112. It was beautiful weather when we arrived and for our 1st week, and we slept with the window open. The only time the noise was bothersome was police cars and ambulances. I live in the suburbs of Detroit, and we barely hear anything like this. My personal feeling is the narrow streets and the buildings make this VERY loud. It wasn't enough to interrupt our sleep continually, or request a room change.

The room had a small refrigerator that was fully stocked with wine, beer, snacks. As a rule, I stay AWAY from these over-priced offerings, and stayed true to that. My husband likes to have a beer or 2 in the evening before bed, and, as bad as this sounds, we set it outside the window to keep them cold!

As a true American...we LOVE our coffee in the morning! There was a pot that you fill with water and heated in record time to a boil. My ONLY complaint is there idea of coffee for the room. This little package opened up (be careful, it will rip, making a mess!), and formed a filter holding the coffee that you would very slowly add the boiling water to filter thru over your cup. This lasted one day for us...we stopped at the Waitrose (grocery store) across the street, and bought instant coffee. The less then 2 pound expenditure was worth it to us! Everything was stocked daily, and the wonderful housekeeping staff would give us extra creams, etc. upon request in the morning.

The bathroom was huge, with a waterfall shower head, great pressure, and the bath shampoos, soaps, etc. quality. People had complained in the reviews about water getting everywhere in the shower. The cause is the shower door, which only cover half the tub. (Odd set up.) I am obviously much different in the shower then my husband....no water with me, all over the place with him! (He stated, "I'm taller and bigger!). Extra large bath towels like we have at home.

The one thing I thought that was weird...no TOP Sheet on the bed. The 1st night, we thought this was done in error. The 2nd, we realized that's the way it's done after talking to housekeeping. They really had no idea what we were talking about! (If I'm a less the seasoned, and I am, UK traveler...here, the bottom sheet covers the mattress, then another sheet in between the comforter and your body.). Truly, housekeeping had NO IDEA what we meant. (A little of that was a language barrier with some of the staff...no problem.) So, we got another sheet and put it on, and chuckled to ourselves. The bed was VERY comfortable, pillows nice and fluffy, linens perfect for our taste.

The location was absolutely perfect for our 1st visit to London! We thought of staying out of Zone 1-2 area to save money, but so glad we didn't ! We felt our time was precious, and absolutely everything, aside from a few side trips, was minutes away! Our last days, we discovered how close we were to South Kensington (we loved the tube..we have NO public transportation where we live), which offers more choices for eating. Walk out of the hotel heading toward the tube station, take a left on Cromwell Road, just a 10 minute walk to the Victoria and Albert Museum, and you'll see!

As a side note, we Americans look the opposite way when crossing the road! Pay attention and stay with the crowd! Pedestrians DO NOT have the right of way with the traffic in London! Lol

We spent many evenings at the pub across from the tube. Always busy with all the hotels in the area as well as locals off the tube, and met many people from all over and had great conversations! Hereford Arms is down the block, and food and service good as well. Cafe Forum was fantastic for breakfast, light or full English (other meals as well), and we ate at Paul frequently for our "brunch on the run", picking up a sandwich on our way to see the sites. (Why don't we have places like this in the states?) There is Olives (Italian), very good but a little pricey, as well as multiple other restaurants...including a Burger King and a KFC which we refused to eat at! (We can eat that crap at home!) I wanted to include this in my hotel review, as we wanted to stay where we didn't have to travel far for a meal choice. The Waitrose and Tesco Express (think 7-11 with more) were nice to pick up water, etc., to take a long for the day.

We decided to keep our room while taking an over night trip to Paris on the Eurostar. (I hated Paris, but that's another conversation!). When we got to St. Pancreas station, we realized my husband had left his wedding ring and watch in the room. We called the hotel, and these items were waiting for us at the front desk in the safe on our return! (We had recently had items stolen from a hotel in Myrtle Beach in August, so the honest people at the Rydges made quite an impression on us!)

We did not eat at the bar or restaurant in the hotel, though we saw many that did, so I cannot comment. We thought to include breakfast at the hotel was a little pricey to add in. However, this may work well for others. We talked to guests that enjoyed.

I would also like to suggest that if you do choose the Rydges, that you become a member if WiFi is something you will utilize. With the membership, which I did on the advice of another member prior to departure, WiFi is 10 pounds for the week. It takes less then 5 minutes from your home computer. I have my feelings about paying in this day and age, but...it is what it is.

I think you can tell that I would not hesitate to stay at the Rydges if I am lucky enough to travel to London again! I recommend it to all!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Along0111

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your review, It was more like a story than a review and very detailed. Certainly a great read.

It certainly gives a great insight on our hotel and its surroundings. I'm pleased that our staff were helpful in returning your items however I would not expect anything less. Its unfortunate that you did not try the food at the Polo Bar or The Jam Cupboard, when you return you have to give our traditional fish and chips a go.

Thank you for choosing Rydges as your home away from home and look forward to seeing you on your return.

Best Regards
Bedford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Rooms are pleasant....but unbelieveably noisy. Paid extra for a king size room....NOISY as hell. I think I was below reception as I just heard people walking backwards and forwards. Don't stay in room 5 of bring ear plugs if you do

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 5
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
JoannaCarruthers, General Manager at Rydges Kensington London, responded to this review, November 2, 2012
Dear Julie,

Thank you for your recent review, I apologise for the inconvenience the noise has caused and thank you very much for bringing it to my attention.

I will definitely be investigating and looking into the issue further to ensure this does not happen to you or future guests again.

Best Regards,

Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

I have stayed in this hotel yesterday as I was on a business trip to London. I have opted for a single occupancy rooms and, to my surprise, I found a real single room, with one tiny little bad that was cornered against the wall. I understand that Kensington is an expensive part of town and London is an expensive city, but charging 150£ for a room this big (it felt like I was sleeping inside a tube) is clearly excessive. One element that the hotel management should clearly review is they Internet supplier. They charge you 10£ for internet access and getting connected (an iPhone and an iPad) was a pain.

On the positive side, this is a really cosy hotel, situated in a old building but totally refurbished. I may come back, but next time to a full size room.

Stayed November 2012
Dear PepitoD

Thank you for your recent review, Your comments on the physical size of the room are valid, we are aware of the physical limitations of our single rooms and are careful that they are represented accurately and priced accordingly.

Regarding your issue with the internet rates, we do offer a 50% discount on the full daily rate for wired in room high speed Internet access when you sign up to our Priority Guest Rewards program. Perhaps this is an option for your next stay?

Best Regards
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Spent one night at this hotel as a weekend break for my parents, daughter (5yrs old) and myself. We booked two king size executive rooms. Arrived at just after 1pm and checked in. We were told only one room was ready, on the lower ground floor and the other on the first floor was still being cleaned. As we were only in London for a short time we decided to store our bags in the room ready and collect the key for the other room later. After a fun filled day we all arrived back at 10 pm and this is when our trouble started. Initially the receptionist could not find the other half of our booking, then after calling the duty manager she found it but apparently despite checking in and having pre-paid our room they had given it away! The DM (Aziz) in fairness handled the situation well, finding another hotel and taxi's there and back. The only problem this was in Chessington, a 40 minute car journey away. When my parents arrived the hotel initially claimed to know nothing about them although this was soon cleared up by a phone call to Aziz. However by this time it was 11.45pm. We were told we would be contacted by a senior manager with an explanation, after they had investigated the situation but have heard nothing. We were not the only ones overbooked that night either, a French gentleman arriving just behind us was in the same situation.

The hotel itself is well located near Gloucester Rd tube station. The corridor outside our room had a distinctly unpleasant odour although this did not persist into the room. The staff were pleasant, particularly the night receptionist and duty manager. Our room was nice, clean and the toiletries were good. The coffee maker did not work properly either but I had had enough of complaining by then. If you manage to get a room this is not a bad hotel. My low rating is based entirely on the overbooking issue.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Michelle,

My sincere apologies with your experience, it is the last thing you need, especially for a weekend away.

I was absolutely shocked when I read your review and have spoken with my staff accordingly. After speaking with Azeez, it seems that every hotel in the London area was fully booked hence the journey to Chessington. This is certainly uncommon but not impossible.

I thank you for your honest review and can only advise that this is not a regular occurance, and in the unlikely event that an unusual problem does happen we do our best to resolve and compensate accordingly.

If you decide to return to London, call us directly and I will ensure a smooth and compensated booking.

Best regards
Joanna Curruthers
leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

This was our second annual visit to this hotel. Its wonderful location right next to Gloucester Road station and on one of Kensington's most elegant streets is matched by everything inside, from staff to rooms. We stay on this weekend every year to attend an event nearby, and it has become part of the experience. The rooms aren't large but are decorated beautifully and so you don't mind, and the bathroom is right up there with the nicest I've seen in any hotel. Reception were great.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Mcleeds

Thank you for your other positive comments regarding the hotel and its location, we are glad our refurbished hotel and staff are apart of your annual visit to London and look forward to seeing you next year.

Many thanks,

Wilderness
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

We spent three nights at this hotel, and found it even more inviting than the first time. It really is a wonderful hotel to relax, with privacy intact, and yet feel as though you are not isolated.The girls at the reception were so friendly. Our room faced the main road but without any noise disturbing one. I actually enjoyed watching the comings and goings of life in the street. The bathroom was beautiful, large and spotlessly clean. It is so near to the Gloucester tube as well which means so much when coming home after a long days walking. We opted for the continental breakfast, which did not have too much variation, but it suited us perfectly and we were offered quite enough to keep us happy. We hope to be back in three years time and will definitely make sure that we book in at the Rydges.
Thank you all at the Rydges.

Room Tip: We loved being on the second floor. I think the room number was 207. Not quite sure.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Sunsets,

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us, we certainly do have a great location! I am pleased that you enjoyed this years experience better than the last. We continually try to improve our service and the expreience we bring to our guests.

Thank you very much for your comments and look forward to seeing you in 3 years time.

Best Regards,

Joanna Carruthers

Been to Rydges Kensington London? Share your experiences!