“THE ABSOLUTE WORST SERVICE YOU CAN IMAGINE!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Cumberland

You added The Cumberland to your Saves list
The Cumberland
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Great Cumberland Place, Marble Arch, London W1H 7DL, England (Marylebone)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #398 of 1,066 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“THE ABSOLUTE WORST SERVICE YOU CAN IMAGINE!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Let me start off this review by saying this was my third time staying at The Cumberland. In the past I was there for business, and cared little about anything. This time I surprised my girlfriend with a trip to London and it was a disaster dealing with this hotel.

Upon arriving at 11am, I was told my executive room (which I paid to upgrade to) would be ready, a 4th floor room, at 1pm, and to come back. We came back at 1pm, and were told that it would be ready at 4. Things happen, whatever. We come back at 5pm and are given room 2033, a second floor room.

We get to the room, and hell began. The sheets were full of hair, as was the shower. One of the main lights in the room did not work. There were bloodstains on the mattress in the top left corner. The sink was clogged and the water would not go down quickly. Garbages had garbage in them, as did the night table drawers. I felt like we were at some -4 star hostel. Immediately called the front desk.

At this point we met Lucia, one of only two nice staff members we met during our entire stay. She couldnt believe the hair in the sheets etc and was embarrassed. Sheets were changed right away. She told us to pack our bags in the morning, and that our room would be switched ASAP to an even larger executive room. Guest services called and said how sorry they were, and to come down in the morning to tell them what happened so they could investigate.

In the morning I went down, and was pointed to the director of the front desk. She apologized, and told me the room would be switched right away, perfect. I then went to the concierge and asked for help making dinner reservations for the following night, Saturday, the 28th. He said no problem.

We came back at 5pm. I went to guest services to ask for new keys. They had no idea what I was talking about. The room was not switched, and our things were still in the original room. She told me that no rooms were available until that exact moment that I happened to walk over (mind you, at 9am I was told they were en route to move the bags). We were given a junior suite, room 3011.

This was at 5pm. By 620, our bags STILL had not been moved. I went downstairs again saying how ridiculous this was, and how we needed to shower and be somewhere. Shilpi (the woman in guest services), her response was epic. She told me that they're a big hotel, and have a lot going on. Rooms werent ready before 5pm. Funny. This woman is a joke. WOW. a 4 star hotel has too much going on, unreal. A Holiday Inn has better service.

I went over to the concierge who I asked to make us dinner reservations at 9am...now it was 530pm...he told me he was too busy and couldnt get to it. Are you kidding me? I told him I would go on OpenTable myself and make the reservation.

But wait, its gets better!

A friend sent a bottle of champagne and fruit platter to our room, ordered on Thursday. It never came. I got an email on Saturday asking how we enjoyed the champagne and fruit platter, I told her I had no idea what she was talking about. She called the hotel and they said they delivered it, and charged her CC accordingly...EPIC.

On our final day there, in the afternoon, we came back and there was champagne and a fruit platter...just one thing missing...a note saying who it was even from. How lovely.

On our last night I spoke with Anna, also in guest services. She was the first person I spoke with who realized how horribly we had been treated. The fact that this hotel does NOTHING to satisfy the guest is unreal. They sent us two gratis bottles of water...only because the executive lounge which we had access to, didnt allow us to even walk out with a bottle of water.

There are many amazing hotels in London...this is NOT one of them. yes they have a nice lobby, but the people who work there are an all out joke. They do nothing to look out for the guest, literally, not a thing. Excuses upon excuses, it almost seems as if they want to do anything BUT help you.

the only possibly good thing to say is the location of the hotel is incredible

Room Tip: Oxford Street is loud. Do not face oxford st if you dont need to.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Walking towards the hotel it was slap bang in front of Marble Arch, a great location but also a busy junction so I thought that a sleepless night was in store – but how wrong I was. My room was on the 7th floor, which obviously helped with the noise reduction, and I had one of the quietest and comfortable nights stay I have ever had in a London city centre hotel. The bed and pillows are really comfortable with the air conditioned room plenty big enough and the bathroom equipped with a large walk in shower. Free wifi was a bonus and the buffet breakfast excellent. Also the bar had a nice vibe about it and reception area with the quirky sculptures gave a great first impression. Also don't worry about being stuck on the higher floors as there are plenty of lifts which operate really quickly.

Being picky, the picture on the TV was not great (to say the least) and there is no complimentary water so don’t forget to take your own (there are plenty of shops opposite the hotel). But my biggest gripe is being charged £1.20 service charge each time I ordered a drink at the bar! Why? Given that on the first occasion I actually went to the bar myself I thought this was excessive and a bit cheeky given that you only sign for the price of the drinks. To be honest I didn’t spot it until I had left and started entering my expenses back at the office.

So in summary, a very comfortable hotel at a great location with a great feel to it, but felt a bit miffed on the drinks service charge.

Room Tip: The higher the rooms the quiter they will be.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Magali P, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at The Cumberland Hotel.

I'm delighted to read that you enjoyed being with us and also liked the room and all provided.

I'm sorry for the disappointment you experienced regarding your service charges. This is a standard charge which is added in any London hotel. It is entirely to your own discretion to accept it or not.

We hope that this has not marred you from using us in the near future. Please do let me know when you are next in Town.

romford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

On arrival we were asked if we minded being in the adjoining part of the hotel we said we didnt mind and ended up in an executive suite. A lovely sized room. Great staff, I ripped a hole in my outfit and had scissors and a sewing kit bought straight to me. Nice toiletries. The whole room was clean. We didnt have the greatest view but we hadn't gone there for that. Ate in the brasserie again lovely staff and great food. Had breakfast in morning this is well worth the money as there was a great selection done well. Couldnt fault it and its a couple of minutes walk from marble arch tube.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us thank you for complimenting the hotel and the team.

We are looking forward to next visit.

Sale, Cheshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We returned to the Cumberland to celebrate our Golden Wedding, having spent our honeymoon there 50 years ago. The hotel looked for us out on arrival, and was fascinated by the original bill and photos we had. We had a Suite overlooking Marbel Arch. It was extremely well appointed, and there was minimal traffic noise considering its aspect.
The staff the whole time we considerate and very helpful.
We can only thank them for every thing they did to make our return visit one never to forget.
Thank you to all of them.

Room Tip: Our suite was excellent
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your feedback on your recent stay at The Cumberland.

I was delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay with us. It is great to see that we ticked all the boxes for you. Everyone works hard at the hotel thank you very much for complimenting all.

We were really thrilled and interested how the hotel was 50 years ago and it was very kind of you to let us have a look at your pictures and leaflets .

I'm sure it was a memorable visit and if you ever come to London again should you not be staying please do come and say Hello..

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Impressively decorated rooms although small in size but had all the amenities needed. Most crucial was the location- right smack next to the tube marble arch station. Accessibility was a plus point here although slightly pricier rates. Walking distance to Oxford street shopping. Breakfast spread pretty good and delicious too.

• Stayed July 2013
Magali P, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

I was very glad to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you had everything you wished for.

We hope to see you back as soon as possible.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Stayed here again last week on a works conference. The reception staff where very polite and gave me a quiet room (6054). Also the upper floors are much easier when getting the lifts as this hotel can get very busy. The rooms are spacious and clean. Breakfast was good both on the service front and variety of foods on offer. The meal at conference was okay but not as good as the year before. This could just be my personal preference, however the starter was very strong for a goats cheese. Overall though the day ran very smoothly and staff were very helpful throughout the whole day. I would recommend the hotel for both business and leisure

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Magali P, General Manager at The Cumberland, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Many Thank for your feedback on your recent stay at The Cumberland Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you had overall good stay being with us for a conference as well.

I'm glad to see that you were satisfied with our service and our rooms and that everyone did his best to make you feel as comfortable and look after as much as possible.

We hope to see you back in the very near future.

Douglas, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Having spent many weekends and short breaks in London, I can confidently describe this stay as memorable, but for the wrong reasons.
It started by using the public toilets in the main foyer as the check in desk was busy. There are none in sight, but facilities are available through a corridor which are shared with a nightclub. Not cleaned since the night before.
Our room was the pokiest we have experienced. The bathroom (as advertised) only had a shower. As a room, it was so small you had to lean on the basin to close the door before using the toilet or shower! And that really is not an exaggeration.
We complained but were told the hotel was full. I honestly suspect this was a room for visiting staff, not paying guests. Other worrying things such as fire doors propped open etc.

Room Tip: If you want to choose a good room, I would suggest one of the many, many other 4 star hotels.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much for your feedback on stay at The Cumberland Hotel.

I'm very sorry for the shortfalls you experienced whilst being with us. I understand that you found our standard rooms quite tiny however we do have also large rooms. I do apologise if we could not do better being quite busy on that night.

I'm surprised by some your comments please accept my apologies for the disappointments you experienced with us. I have shared you review and will discuss it further with the whole team.

I hope that you might give us a second chance and try us again in the future.

The Cumberland Hotel

Been to The Cumberland? Share your experiences!