“A very pleasant and relaxing stay” 4 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Maitrise Suites Apartment Hotel
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   50 - 54 The Broadway, London W13 0SU, England   |
Ranked #111 of 513 London B&B and Inns
SW UK
“A very pleasant and relaxing stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

London is a great place for families with young children - there is so much to see and do, but the problem for us has always been accommodation. For us, it is much easier to find accommodation which offers self-catering facilities, rather than a normal hotel. Last year, we (my wife and I, plus our then two-year old daughter) stayed in an apartment near South Kensington which was very convenient for all the museums and also for food (shopping and eating). I had planned also to stayed in the same area this time around, but the prices are prohibitive, even though we were staying in London not during a half term or school holiday, plus over 5 nights, the costs mounted up very quickly, easily towards £1000, so I decided to look further afield.

I came across this Best Western Apartment Hotel while doing extensive research and it appealed a great deal to me, and for the 5-night stay, would be half the price of those in South Kensington.

Firstly, the front/entrance of the hotel is very unassuming and you could easily drive past it and not notice it was there. It has a shop-front like appearance. In addition, the hotel entrance is on a busy high street where there are lots of shops, plenty of places to buy food of all sorts. The person at reception, Mo-in (sp?), checked us in and he made sure that we were happy with everything during our stay there. One kind gesture he made was to go up to the room and check that the keycard worked before giving it to us, which was prudent as he had to do it twice before it did work!

We stayed on the top floor in Room 303, known also as the James Bond/007 Suite as there are canvas prints hung on the wall. From the room front door, there is a long corridor which leads to the main living room/kitchenette, and along the way, to the bathroom and the bedroom. In addition, there is an outside balcony which leads to the hot tub.

The bathroom is a decent size with a bath, overhead rain forest shower, and an additional hand shower. This is ideal especially for small children, as my daughter hates showers and much prefers baths! The bedroom was okay, with all the expected amenities: queen sized bed, dressing table and wardrobe which also contained the safe and an ironing board. There is enough space in the room for my daughter's readybed to be used.

We made our own breakfast each morning, and also made dinner most evenings. As previously stated, you are spoilt for choice if you want to buy ingredients for cooking your own food, and there are also plenty of restaurants and fast food places if you are feeling lazy. There are pots and pans available, with utensils, cutlery and plates for most kinds of meals.

The area is fairly busy, even during the working week day, but we felt very safe, even at night, and with all the police sirens echoing through the streets. From our room, the noise was very minimal and we did not notice the street noise at all.

For parking, the hotel offers several spaces around the back for £20 per day, but the Witham Road Car Park is only £10 per day (£1/hour between 8am and 6pm), and is a much better choice. There are several traffic wardens prowling around, so if you are turning up by car, make sure you park in a valid place!

Getting into Central London could not be easier - there is a bus stop just metres down the street from the hotel, and it's a 5-10 minute journey to Ealing Broadway station. It's then 20-30 minutes into Central London on the tube. Ealing itself is a great place to look around and also eat out in. We took the bus in the mornings to Ealing Broadway, and walked back from there to our hotel each evening - some 20 minutes or so: a very pleasant and safe stroll back.

I do have some minor quibbles during our stay:
- we had a few problems with checking in: I had made an advanced booking and thought I had already paid in advance, but it seemed that Best Western had problems taking money from the card. Eventually this was sorted out, but from other reviews, it seems to be a common occurrence.
- the bathroom door handle does not shut the door properly, and the lock is very tedious to lock/unlock (many turns required).
- the sink plug which is operated via lever, was very fiddly to use, and could do with replacing.
- Obviously, we didn't use the hot tub as it was the middle of October, but we were slightly concerned by the ever presence of pigeons. It cannot be easy keeping the balcony clean from all the feathers and droppings.
- the WiFi signal is a bit patchy in this room, and I could only guarantee a decent strong signal when standing near the room front door. In other areas of the room, the signal fluctuated.

Overall, I am really happy to have found this place: it is convenient in terms of our needs, in travelling into central London, and also price. The staff are very friendly and made sure that we were happy with everything, and to help out with any questions. My wife and I have definitely agreed to stay here in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Paul K, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Maitrise Suites Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind review of your stay with us.

I was very happy to read the positive comments in your review & It id always nice to know that guests have enjoyed their stay with us.

I do hope that you will consider returning to us in the near future.

87 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This property is one of those where good intentions are being run into ground by horrible maintenance. Here is a list of issues in our apartment (103 - 2 bedroom apartment supposed to be suitable for people with disabilities):

1. No tap in the shower area. So can't use that shower. We are not told about this at checkin.
2. The tap in the bath is too low to use the shower.
3. Some sort of grease all over the bath and the apartment floor. Ruined all our clothes and made walking in the bathroom very dangerous.
4. A blind in the lounge just dumped under the window. Not installed, just dumped.
5. Kick board under the kitchen not installed. Gaping hole visible.

I complained about all these things and this is what happened.

1. Told the main shower can't be used as the water from it is leaking into the Subway shop below. Why we were not told about this before checkin is a mystery. It also means that these apartments are not suitable for a disabled person.
2. Asked for the shower head in the bath to be moved higher so we could at least use that shower. Promised it would happen the next day after we were back from the trip to London. When we came in, we were told that this has been done. But when we tried to use it, there was no water coming out of it! So we had lost that shower as well!! When we complained, the reception guy pleaded with the maintenance guy to come (and even offered to send him a cab) but he refused to come. So for two days, our family was without a shower.
3. Had no idea why the bathrooms were so slippery.
4. The blind was installed by the same maintenance guy, but at an angle.
5. The kick board was installed, but came off in the night. They really need to fire this maintenance guy.

On top of this all, our booking from booking.com was not ready when we checked in. The lady at the reception had to ring through to the booking site before she would let us in.

So all in all, if you do need this place to stay, make sure that there is nothing wrong in your apartment before you check-in and make the payment.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us.

I would be grateful if you could please contact me directly to discuss your review.

I look forward to hearing from you & I do hope that you will consider returning to us in the near future.

Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

In June, I picked up a booking.com deal and booked a one-bedroom apartment at the Best Western Maitrise Suites An Apartment Hotel for the nights of 3 and 11 Sep at £69.5 per night (a non-refundable rate, original price then listed as £120 or so, hotel listed as 4-star). I prepaid in full right away and my booking was immediately confirmed. Our stay on 3 Sep was OK, but 11 Sep turned out to be a nightmare -- when my companion and I arrived the hotel receptionist told us they were overbooked and had no room for us. He arranged for us to stay in a “family room” at the hostel-like Travelodge London Kew Bridge instead, which was not a patch on the apartment I had booked! (Just take a look at the reviews and photos of the two hotels on Tripadvisor and you will see what I mean. Best Western is a “4-star”, “luxury” hotel according to booking.com. Travelodge claims to be 3-star.) The Travelodge room was very basic, spartan and uninviting – the towels stank, and there was no hand soup, shower gel, shampoo, open kitchen, separate bedroom, balcony, stylish décor or a chic, luxury feel -- which the Best Western apartment had. I would never have booked Travelodge myself! Worse still, Travelodge would not let us leave our luggage there after check-out the next day (which Best Western would have), causing further inconvenience and disrupting our sightseeing plans. The Best Western receptionist had said they would be responsible for the cost of the Travelodge room (£95), but asked me to pay for it myself first. He deposited £69.50 into my credit card and promised to reimburse me the difference four working days later, which has never happened despite my repeated emails addressed to him and the hotel manager to complain and demand fair compensation. I also complained to booking.com, which asserted that a hotel that fails to honour a confirmed booking due to overbooking should arrange an alternative accommodation of the SAME or HIGHER standard for the affected guest, but it refused to help me chase the promised reimbursement. That night was a terrible experience. Nobody at the hotel had the decency of being apologetic. For about two hours the receptionist kept offering us undesirable “3-star” options. When I told him if he didn’t offer a satisfactory solution I would write about it on travel websites, he replied: “If you do so we will never let you book our hotel again. There’re plenty of other people who like our hotel!” At last we were simply too tired and sleepy to reject his offers any more and had to make do with Travelodge. He said he had booked a family room there for us there for £88.45. But when we arrived at Travelodge we were told no booking had been made for us and the rate was £95 rather than £88.45. I had to call the Best Western guy to find out what was happening, and eventually figured out that he had been talking to Travelodge's booking hotline which offered family rooms at £88.45, but as he had not made any confirmation Travelodge did not honour the booking he thought he had made. So I ended up paying the walk-in rate of £95 and the Best Western receptionist promised to reimburse us accordingly – a promise that has never been kept. Even such a reimbursement – together with Best Western's taking us (by car) to Travelodge that night and from Travelodge to the Heathrow area the next day -- would not have sufficed to compensate for the distress, inconvenience, plan disruptions and loss of time, sleep and money the incident has caused us. But the hotel doesn't even have the decency to just keep its promise! Back in June, impressed by the rave reviews of the hotel on Tripadvisor, we had given up some attractive Central London hotel deals in favour of this inconveniently located Best Western for some luxury, style and comfort, only to get such an ordeal! I will never book this hotel or use booking.com again!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us.

I would be grateful if you could please contact me directly to discuss your review especially your point about the reimbursement.

Louth, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I booked 2 rooms for the night of 8th Sept 2012. When arriving only one room was ready. I asked if it was okay to place our bags in one room until the other was ready. He said it was but I would need to pay for the room that wasn't ready first! Strange but as I had booked 2 rooms, I got it. After I had paid he then gave us the key card for the first room...... We went in, walked in the lounge and tripped over the broken floor. After dropping the bags on the bed, we went to speak to the chap in reception who said "we know"! I asked for another room and he said they were fully booked. I had no choice as we were many miles from home and already paid. We went on with our day, slept, got up the next morning and tripped on the floor. When I went down to reception to check out. When I asked the receptionist if I could complain about the floor in our room, she tipped her head slightly and said did you have room 204? We know about that, the builder fixed it. When I asked for a refund after a couple of trips and a toe stubbing or two, she just replied, I will ask the builder to look at it! The apartment wasn't worth the £129 in my opinion.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Kamloops, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

In London for a few days because of the Olympics. Booked very early in fear that hotel space would be limited. Prices were probably inflated somewhat beause of that timing. The Best Western Maitrise was very clean, quiet, secure and comfortable. The furnishings were colourful and modern. The suite had kitchen facilities that were useful to us but would be ideal for visitors using this place as more than just a place to sleep. The staff were super friendly and helpful. Once we oriented ourselves to the location of the hotel we found it easy to walk 15 minutes to the underground station and connect to the city through the Picadilly Line. Local shops offered opportunities to get groceries and seasonal produce. While we didn't eat in the restaurants in the area, there appeared to be lots of options. A problem with loose flooring in our room and a snafu with the in-room washing machine were the only concerns.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your kind review of your stay with us.

I do hope that you will consider returning to us in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Lots of food shops only few minutes walk away, and an excellent 24hour access shop across the road from the hotel's front door. Perfect for people who like to do their own cooking.
Dishes are cleaned, along with the rest of the apartment by the staff everyday.
The room sizes are generous too. Washing machine, cooking facilities, clothes iron & board, television to bedroom & lounge. Excellent. Very friendly staff. Bus stop close by with an excellent service to link to other public transport services. So good for anyone trying to avoid hotel bedroom living.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Paul K, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Maitrise Suites Apartment Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

I am very grateful to you for your kind review of the hotel.

It is always delight tto read positive comments from guests who have stayed with us & I am especially pleased to know that our standards were up to your expectations.

This property is very unique with private living quarters for guests who value their independence & privacy.

I do hope that you will consider returning very soon.

Chard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We wanted somewhere to stay in the London area with my two step sons. We booked this really late only a couple of days before and we were astounded when we arrived. We were met with courtesy and the apartment was immaculate and very comfortable. Great value for money we will be looking to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for your kind review of the hotel.

I am always delighted to read positive comments from guests who have stayed with us & I am delighted to hear that our standards were up to your expectations.

The hotel has a really unique product with living rooms & kitchens & are ideal for guests who value their independence.

I do hope that you will consider returning very soon.

P Kennedy

Been to BEST WESTERN Maitrise Suites Apartment Hotel? Share your experiences!