“Impersonal but nice” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #236 of 1,066 Hotels in London
“Impersonal but nice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

On one hand the hotel is nicely refurbished, modern and clean. The location is superb, very close to the Central Line and many conveniences. On the other hand, the staff is only okay and create a sterile environment. They were adequate. The rooms are quite small, the bathroom is tiny, barely large enough for one person. The wifi is horrific such that if I had to be there on business I would have been highly annoyed. It's the 21st century folks, can you please have quick and efficient wifi service! The breakfast was fine, nothing incredible. We had a decent stay and the hotel is fine and looks good, just don't expect anything in the wow category.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GMthistle, General Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am glad the great location of the hotel was right for your visit, however I am sorry to read that the rest of your experience was not so positive. As you will see from some of my other responses we have recently upgraded our WIFI, so it is disappointing to hear of the issues you encountered. All of our park facing rooms have larger bathrooms, and these rooms can be booked in advance or you can upgrade to these on arrival. Your feedback is appreciated and shard with the team, as the WOW factor is definitely what we are trying to achieve, unfortunately we did not do this on this occasion. I hope to welcome you back in the near future. Best Regards. Billy & Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (293)
  • Greek first
Bath
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We stayed here for two nights when we had a weekend in London. We chose a Thistle Hotel as we have stayed in others and been very pleased.

The receptionist who checked us in was very aloof and didn't smile once, but this was the exception we are pleased to say, as other staff in the hotel were very friendly and helpful.

The rooms are clean, well equipped (apart from a fridge/minibar) and comfortable. There is a little 'Waitrose' shop underneath the hotel with all sorts of good quality chilled foods and snacks.

The location was fantastic. The original tour bus stops outside, and there are two tube stations just down the road. If like us you don't like tubes, the number 94 bus stops just up the road and will take you to Oxford Street and Picadilly Circus for £2.30 which is a lot cheaper than a taxi. I believe if you get an oyster card the bus fare is even cheaper. The bus is also 24 hours.

The first night we went to the West End to eat, but whilst walking into the city we past 'The Swan' in Bayswater road so decided to go there one night, it has live entertainment and the food was very good quality 'pub grub'

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GMthistle, General Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens. I am glad our fantastic location worked for you and allowed you to explore London. We do benefit from having the London tour bus right on our door step. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best Regards. Billy & Team
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights. The service of the staff from when we arrived was excellent, very friendly and attentive.

The hotel rooms were spacious, modern and well presented. I would definitely recommend this hotel. It is also in a great location.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens and for your recommendation to other travellers. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best Regards. Billy & Team
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

Ideally located between two tube stations made it easy to get around.Right across the road from Hyde Park, we paid for a park view room which would have been lovely had it not been thick fog outside both days. Room was clean and comfortable. Staff at reception and during breakfast were very efficient and polite. Breakfast provided a good selection of both cooked english and continental choices.

Room Tip: Park view room.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens and for posting some images of the room and the view. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best Regards. Billy & Team
North East England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Last night, as I ate nondescript food in the mediocre faceless restaurant, I decided that I wouldnt put a review on TA, or I would just say fine, the sector norm.

I went to bed, packed my bags for the next day, ready to just life phone and charger and go.

However I was dragged out of bed at midnight by the fire alarm going. Looked out of the door, ppl were dressed and evacuating. I unpacked my stuff, dressed and did the same.

Of course it was a false alarm. Who knows the cause? I certainly don't, so I must assume hotel error. I was not spoken to individually or in a group, by any member of hotel staff to guide me to safety, orto explain what was going on. Not then, and not now. I merely followed the crowd.

Unsurprisingly we were allowed back into the "now safe" hotel.

In the morning, following breakfast of still frozen fruit salad and very nice scrambled eggs, I checked out.

I expected an apologetic communication from hotel staff regarding the previsou nights fiasco - NO WAY! What I got was - you owe a service charge for your restaurant meal last night!!! Whatever happened to customer service?

Disturbed, and my morning routine ruined, I left my iPhone charger in my room. Misery, and overcharged.

I'll probably go back, its faceless and impersonal, but thats fairly normal, if not good: not many London hotels are worth bothering with anyway, if they are they are outrageously priced. This was £175.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sure you are aware and fully understand that fire evacuations, whilst an inconvenience for you that evening, are for the safety of all guests, and your participation in these regardless of the time of day is appreciated. Thankfully on this occasion it was a false alarm, caused accidently by another guest. The team on shift are very well trained to respond to these incidents. I can see the evening alarm may have impacted the enjoyment of the rest of your stay and I would be happy to discuss your other concerns directly with you. Best Regards. Billy & Team
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

This was my second stay at the Thistle. I liked my first experience with this hotel, but my second stay was even better! The rooms have been tastefully redone and are comfortable, the staff was excellent, and the breakfast was very good. I will stay at the Thistle when I return to London.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens. We look forward to your third stay soon. Best Regards. Billy & Team
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The hotel is located accross the road from Kensington Gardens so the view from the rooms were nice. The hop on hop off busses (and regular red busses) stop right outside the hotel, and the nearest tube is only a 5 min walk away (Queensway). The petrol station below has a well stocked convenience store and there are many restaurants and bars also only a 5min walk away. The rooms were on the small side as well as the bathroom, but still comfortable. The hotel has had a refurb recently as well, so the rooms look great, and so do the public areas (loved the chandeliers in the reception/ foyer area!)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
GMthistle, General Manager at Thistle Kensington Gardens, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review Thistle Kensington Gardens and for your great description of the hotel and our location. Both our executive king bedrooms and junior suites are much larger room types. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best Regards. Billy & Team

Been to Thistle Kensington Gardens? Share your experiences!