“Amazing, professional and courteous staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel

You added Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel to your Saves list
Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19-25 Granville Place, London W1H 6PA, England (Formerly Radission Edwardian Savoy Court) (Marylebone)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Now & Save Up To 20%
Ranked #339 of 1,065 Hotels in London
New York City, New York
“Amazing, professional and courteous staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The staff at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel went above and beyond the call of duty upon my arrival during the recent Easter Holiday. As a result of a horrible fluke made by my travel agent, the hotel had not recieved the confirmation of my reservation on my two pre-paid rooms.
I was already flustered with the travel experience from New York. Yet, Shyam the handled the situation with ut-most professionalism. Shyam, Daniel and including our breakfast host Victoria made the remainder of our stay quite pleasant.
Looking forward to stay at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel in my future travels to London.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Gamal_Sadaka, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you very much for your amazing comments following your recent stay at our hotel, it is a delight to learn that you have had a pleasant stay with us on this occasion! Your encouraging feedback acts a great motivator for the whole team, especially for Shyam and Daniel, who handled the situation that occurred to you smoothly, and of course ‘hats-off’ to my colleague Victoria in the restaurant for putting a cherry on top of your pleasant stay! Once again, thank you for your wonderful encouraging feedback, should you need any assistance with your (family and friends) future reservations, please let me know or anyone from my colleague via hotel reception, we would be pleased to serve you. We cannot wait to welcome you back for a more pleasurable stay at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex in the near future. Warmest regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I had read a few negative comments here before I arrived to the hotel but thought that these people probably had just been unlucky. Unfortunately, I also experienced my worst hotel stay ever. As a business traveler, I only require a few basic things; a quiet room with comfortable temperature, a functioning bathroom, easily accessible location and a functioning business center in case you need to do something that you can’t do from your laptop. The Radisson brand has always offered this to me. I’ve stayed with the brand worldwide and in London, I’ve stayed in three other hotels. The room I was first offered was extremely cold. You couldn’t feel the difference from the outside temperature. I had to call the staff and they said it would be ok when I returned later. When I returned, it was still freezingly cold and I was offered another room. The second room had a better temperature but the heating system was extremely noisy and there was a constant draft of cold and hot air in the room. The sleeping quality was bad. The morning after, I needed to scan a somewhat confidential document and I therefore went to the business center to do the scan. The scanning didn’t work. I talked to the reception and I first had to argue with them for long that it didn’t work because they kept on saying that I probably did something wrong and that it worked yesterday. I told them to go and check and then come back and it turned out that it didn’t work. They promised to fix it during the day and if not, there would be another solution when I returned in the evening. When I returned after a long day at 20.30 in the evening, the machine still didn’t work and they had no solution to offer. I thought of for example letting me do the scan at the Radisson hotel five minutes away. That was not possible. I asked if they could call the hotels next door to check if I could drop by there, but the staff was very hesitant and confused. Everything took an extremely long time, so I decided to go to the hotels next door and ask myself. The scanner didn’t work in one of the hotels either and in the other, they wouldn’t let me use the business center unless you stayed at the hotel. So I returned to my hotel. Then the reception staff finally called some manager, who after 15 minutes said it was ok that I could do the scan in their office behind the reception. The whole procedure had taken more than an hour, when I had expected to relax in my room after a long day with meetings in London. On top of this, I wanted to change rooms again, due to the noise in my second room. They upgraded me to a business class room. Unfortunately, the heating system here also sounded like a motorbike, so I had another night of terrible sleep. Besides, one of the lamps in the bathroom did not work either. Before leaving the hotel after two nights, I managed to get a talk with the duty manager. He offered me a “second chance”. He gave me his e-mail address, so that I could write to him next time I came and then they would upgrade me for the same price as a standard room. With my experience, however, I will never return because even if I had a business class room, everything else seemed to fail. Another negative is the late breakfast hour. Breakfast starts at 7.00, which is rather late when you usually have to be at meetings at 8.00 or 8.30. The only positive is the location. Close to Marble Arch tube station and one minute from Oxford Street. But I will never return. The hotel is in the best case made for backpackers.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Gamal_Sadaka, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for highlighting your feedback with us. Please accept my sincerest extensive apologies for the dissatisfaction factors that occurred during your recent stay with us here in London. We were disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay as much as you should have. Your feedback has been forwarded to all the relevant departments, including our projects team for further improvements to what you have experienced. In regards to your comment about breakfast, may I just clarify that our hotel offers 'Breakfast on the go'- which is a Takeaway breakfast for early risers, you just have to specify your choices and time of delivery on the breakfast card available in your room and kindly hang it outside the room door before 2am. Alternatively, ‘Grab and Run’ breakfast is available from 6am.

I shall remain optimistic and that you will hopefully provide us with one more chance to serve you and reinstate your confidence with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally should you need any assistance with your next booking. I am eager to welcome you back to the Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex. With best regards
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Friendly, professional staff & great location. Well appointed rooms; however they are just too small. There is no room to put anything with only a small triangular shelf beside the bed. Your suitcase has to be opened & closed on top of the bed,

The shower is so small you can barely raise your arms to wash your hair & again, no where in the bathroom to put anything with only one small shelf high up behind the toilet.

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for staying at the Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex and for sharing your feedback. Indeed, our location is in fact a stroll away from Oxford and Regent Street, which makes our hotel perfect for shopping and night life with all the key attractions of the West End within walking distance. Our rooms vary in sizes and some tend to be more suitable for short stays however, majority of our rooms are of a decent size and perfect for long stays with plenty of space for luggage, and all of our rooms are decorated to a very high standard keeping in mind with guest requests and feedback over the years. We are always willing to meet our guest’s requirements.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you soon back to the hotel and I hope that upon your next stay we will be able to meet you expectations. Warmest regards
Caerdydd
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed here in March 2013 for two nights on business and was extremely disappointed.

As other reviewers have stated, the rooms are extremely small, annoyingly and unworkably small, mine really was a shoebox. There's no room for a suitcase, the only 'desk space' I had to work on my laptop was a little triangle under the TV which required moving drinks trays etc and had absolutely no room for anything bar the laptop itself e.g. for spreading out paperwork etc. The wifi in my room didn't work and I subsequently had to use a chord from the TV (fair play a guy from reception was helpful in trying to resolve this). The rooms do have windows but as these are out into narrow atriums there is very little daylight, even less if you need to close the curtains to avoid being overlooked by people.

I ate in the restaurant on my first night with a colleague - food was average and took a long time to arrive, but the worst thing about the experience was the so-called restaurant itself - it was definitely set up more as a bar than a restaurant at night - it's dark with strange fluorescent lights and really loud music (making it almost impossible to have a conversation even after we asked the staff to turn it down); the tables and chairs are fine if you're just having a drink, not so good if you're trying to eat a meal - I couldn't wait to get out of there. Breakfast was fine.

Staff - with the exception of one really welcoming and helpful guy at reception - came across as being quite insincere and aloof. Taking all of this into account, I have to echo other reviewers' opinion that this hotel represents very bad value for money and I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a large room, although I
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Gamal_Sadaka, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear reviewer,

Thank you for choosing the Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex and for taking the time to bring your dissatisfaction to our attention. I am terribly sorry to learn about your disappointment with the size and location of the bedroom you had been allocated. I can assure you that we also have a decent collection of spacious deluxe and business class rooms that will surely not disappoint you for room size, comfort and value for money. Your comments in regards to the restaurant atmosphere have been shared with our project team for further amendments/developments. Please contact me via hotel reception or email at anytime to ensure that your profile is updated and assure that you will be looked after in your future visits to London. Please accept my sincere apologies once again and kindly allow us a second chance to reinstate your confidence about our hotel. We look forward to welcome you back to our hotel, hopefully in the near future.

With best regards,

Gamal Sadaka
Guest Relations Manager
Radisson Blu Edwardian, Sussex
E: sadakag@radisson.com
wiltshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Friendly staff when we checked in and out, had booked a standard room, which was small, but comfortable, clean and quiet (who stays in their room on a weekend in london??) Hotel is in a great position, just behind Marks and Spencer on Oxford Street, so perfect if you want to go shopping, or sightseeing, theatre etc... Also between Bond St and Marble Arch tube stations, so easy to get to, from mainline stations and the airports.

Prices in hotel bar, very reasonable for London, and the menu looked interesting, although we ate out, as with so many restaurants nearby, you are spoilt for choice. Bar and Breakfast staff also very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is served half an hour later on a sunday allowing you time for a lie in. Plenty of choice of hot and cold items, more than enough to set you up for the day, and all buffet style, with the option for additional items to be ordered from a menu.

Would definitely return on next visit to London, as although part of a large chain, its a lovely friendly, small (boutique size) hotel in a great location, suitable for friends, family or couples or business

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
NaserSiddiqui, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for sharing your feedback. Your comprehensive review of our hotel has been most encouraging and inspiring and I am delighted to know that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We have just installed a new breakfast buffet to ensure your hot breakfast always remains hot and have also increased other items on our breakfast offerings such as exotic fresh fruit, selection of cheese, yogurt, ham, and salmon. We are also launching our new “Scoff and Banter” food menu consisting of classically prepared British favourite dishes. I hope you will be back soon to try some of the fantastic dishes on offer. I look forward to welcoming you again. Warmest regards,
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I travel for business at least six months of the year. I give my clients exceptional value for money and I strive to find the same for myself in whatever I do. This is my MO. I was in London for business meetings just for two quick nights. I stay in a lot of hotels worldwide, I also really enjoy boutique hotels that capture a niche in the market with that personal and non-corporate attention. I must be honest, I was very impressed with the boutique quality and design of the Radisson Blu. It was aesthetically pleasing and very well appointed. HOWEVER, the value for money is appalling. The room I was put into 024 is an insult. It's not even a room. It is a cubicle and I wholeheartedly resent that for two hundred pounds a night it was offered as a room. I was so shocked. Especially the toilet which unless you are a small child was impossible to sit on. The TV stand was half falling off it's base as it was too large for the top of the unit. And my suitcase was barely able to rest anywhere without me having to climb over it as there was no room to pass. I would have understood if someone had said it is very small and the cost was lower but the experience I had was not that. I would have asked to see other rooms had I had the time but perhaps it is better that I didn't as I suspect if the misrepresentation of this room is anything to go by the others would have made me even more incredulous.

Room Tip: Definitely check how big a size the room is first.
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for your review. I was very sorry to learn that the room you had been allocated on this occasion did not meet your expectation and you felt it was not value for money. Please accept my apologies and get in touch with us. I am confident that we will be to find just the right room for you. Perhaps our business class rooms would be more suitable to your requirements as they are much more spacious with bespoke chairs and table, leather wall covering and King-size beds. Please contact me directly the next time you are in the area and allow me to oversee your next reservation. My email address is; Siddiqui@radisson.com. I hope that you will change your mind and reconsider staying with us again. I look forward welcoming you back in the foreseeable future. With regards,
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I stayed here for two nights in March 2013, whilst on a business trip. The location was great, the staff was friendly and the lobby and restaurant area was ok. However I would never stay here again! The room was definitely one of the worst rooms I have ever stayed at. I have stayed at Radisson hotels in the same area before, and I would definitely stay there instead on my next trip.

I had booked a single room, which is not to be advised. When entering the room there was a long and narrow stairwell down to the room, which was so small, there was only room for a single bed (and no suitcase). It felt like living in a basement broom closet. I asked to be upgraded to a double room, which was more spacious, but still not up to standards. The bathroom was so cold that it was difficult to take a shower. I had to put a towel on the floor to be able to stand on the floor barefoot.

The main problem however, I believe is the window and lack of fire escape. Most of the rooms have windows towards something you might call an "atrium". I suspect the several "atriums" throughout the building to have been built there in order to be having such small rooms without it being a view towards either a backyard or the road. I guess the law requires windows in all rooms, but I will compare this to not having windows at all. You end up staring into a brick wall of a tiny outside space. In case of a fire there is no way to escape through the window because you would be stuck in the tiny "atrium". I asked to have a room towards the backyard or the road, but they said they did not have many rooms like that and those rooms were taken.

I believe a stay at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex gives bad value, a single room costs 325 pounds for 2 days. If you want to stay in this area I recommend spending a little bit more to get a much nicer trip.

Room Tip: When booking, ask for a room towards the road or backyard. Avoid the "atriums". Don't...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
NaserSiddiqui, General Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. I am truly sorry to learn of your disappointment with the size and location of the bedroom you had been allocated.
Some of our rooms tend to be more suitable for short stays however, majority of our rooms are of a decent size and perfect for long stays with plenty of space for luggage. We are always willing to find a room that meets our guest’s requirements and I am sorry that we were not able to offer you a better alternative on this occasion due to the lack of availability.
With reference to your comments regarding fire escapes please be assured that we are fully compliant with fire safety regulations and this is something we regularly audit and monitor as the safety of our guests and colleagues are of utmost importance to us. Your comments about the temperature of the bathroom have also been noted for further follow up.

Please get in touch with me the next time you are in London and let me personally oversee your reservation and room allocation. I am confident that you will reconsider staying with us again and look forward to hearing from you. Kindest regards,

Been to Radisson Blu Edwardian Sussex Hotel? Share your experiences!