“Shambles” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kensington Close Hotel

You added Kensington Close Hotel to your Saves list
Kensington Close Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wrights Lane, Kensington, London W8 5SP, England (Kensington and Hyde Park)   |
Ranked #615 of 1,066 Hotels in London
“Shambles”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2014

Unfortunately I had a really bad experience in this hotel.

A friend & I had booked, which she had arranged & checked in for us as she arrived hours earlier.

I was surprised how small the room was for £120 but shrugged it off as a place to sleep for the night after a work function.

Knowing a had an early morning, I got back to the hotel around 11.45pm leaving my friend to enjoy the rest of her evening.
I got to our floor & realised I couldn't remember our exact room number. Rather than try my key in every door & likely scare the occupants, I figured I'd ask reception. Apparently this was an awful idea.

I advised the guy I couldn't remember the number, but provided details of the booking. Apparently I wasn't on the booking. I was told I should call my friend to essentially prove I'm not lying. I should point out this is all being said to me in the tone that I'm already a liar, with the dirty looks to match.
I hired to call my friend, who of course clearly can't hear her phone as she is at an event.
I ask what happens if she doesn't answer ? I get told they'll call security.

I eventually catch my friend, by which time this 'helpful' gentleman was too busy ignoring me & helping someone else to take the phone.

She tells me the number, so I walk away assuming I can get in now. That also wasn't the case. My room key was flashing green for access, but the door would not open. It'd seem it was still locked, it made me wonder if this had been done to keep me out?
This had now been going on over 20mins & I felt stupid & upset that all my items were inside & I was being accused of being a liar.

I came back down in tears, luckily a nicer man was on hand to help me who took me up to the room & let me in. He did explain they need to be careful with security, I understand this but I was not a drunken suspicious lout. I was a young sober woman in an evening dress, on my own, trying to get in MY room.

Drama over, I get to sleep.
This morning wake up with no electricity & no running water ... Same for the whole hotel !! Apparently it was the area ? I don't think so! I left about 7am couldn't wait to get out. I had to get ready in Euston station toilets! The 30p to use them was more value than this mean hotel. Their treatment ruined my evening & I don't remember them well.

Stayed July 2014
Riikka G, Guest Relations Manager at Kensington Close Hotel, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Dear Sues86

I would like to apologise for your experience whilst staying with us, please be assured I was most concerned to learn of the occurrence. However, I believe you have already been in contact with our Operations Manager to discuss further.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

Chose this hotel whilst on a city break in London. The location of the hotel is fab, right next to a tube station. As for the hotel itself we were slightly disappointed with what we got for the amount of money paid. The hotel isn't cheap, the last thing you expect is to pay another £9.95 for Wifi. Especially when it doesn't even work, it was very difficult to keep a connection. For the price the rooms are quite small and standard, all amenities needed are in their but sizing and decor no way as appealing as the lobby of the hotel itself. Overall it was a nice stay but just wanted slightly more for the price!

If you are ( as I was) looking forward to using the spa facilities then be prepared to pay £8 per person per day.

Lastly the most annoying part of the hotel was the shower curtain. I do not want to shower with a curtain wrapped around my body.

Dear Katy-jersey

Thank you for staying at Kensington Close hotel.

Some of the standard rooms can be described cozy and at the moment are undergoing some soft refurbishment, especially with the bathrooms which your feedback is mostly valued!

If your travels ever lead back to us, our Executive Club rooms come with more comfort, complimentary Wi-Fi as well as the complimentary use of the Leisure and Spa Centre.

Thank you for your feedback, it will most certainly be passed on to the team!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 5 days. Everyone was courteous and friendly. We arrived later on a Sunday evening and someone suggested the pub down the street which was quite nice. 3 minutes to a tube, 2 blocks to the Main Street. Always felt safe and welcomed. Doorman arranged taxi for our ride to get connector for Paris. Looking at staying again. Well worth it!

Dear Sherylhazzard

Thank you for staying at the Kensington Close hotel!

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us! It is great to read that our staff has been lovely and friendly!

Thank you again for the wonderful feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Las Vegas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Other than being very close to Metro station, not much going for this place. The rooms were likely converted from old apartment units and need some major work. One of the last places on earth that doesn't offer free wi-fi. We joined the Cosmos tour here, and for the entire trip this was the only place that wouldn't even let us into the restaurant until 7 AM sharp.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear MtEverest

Thank you for staying with us.

I’m sure you will appreciate that we have just undergone a major refurbishment through out the hotel, and some rooms are still undergoing a soft refurbishment. The charge for the Wi-Fi is to ensure the speed of the Network, however guests can use the computer in the media centre complimentary.

I am glad you noted the closeness of the Tube station as it does make the journey to different parts of London fast and conveninent.

Thank you again for your feedback, it will be shared with the team.

Sussex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Clean comfortable hotel just off high street Kensington and 5 mins from tube. Small rooms but adequate. Tea and coffee making facilities and molton brown toiletries. Would stay again.Can't comment on food as didn't eat here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear KatiebrightonSussex

Thank you for staying in Kensington Close hotel!

It’s great to hear that you found our rooms clean and comfortable as we work hard to keep them that way. The Housekeeping Team will be delighted of your feedback!

Thank you again for the feedback, always helps on going forward!

wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Have just had a one night stay at this hotel. We were warmly welcomed by all staff when artiving at the inviting entrance and foyer. The room was spacious enough for two but the bed would be big enough for 3 - 4!!!! The tv was also more than ample for any tv addict. The bathroom was also spacious with a powerful shower. The whole hotel was clean throughout.
Breakfast was delicious with all food being well cooked and grease free.
The only negative would be the charge for the internet at £10 daily and other people who slam doors!!
I would definately return and recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Riikka G, Guest Relations Manager at Kensington Close Hotel, responded to this review, August 1, 2014
Dear jelb

Thank you for staying at Kensington Close hotel!

It has been lovely to read that you enjoyed the room as well as our new beds! It is wonderful to see that our refurbishment has not gone unnoticed!

I will be passing the comments to the staff as well as the Restaurant Manager!

We look forward to welcoming you back!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

My partner and I stayed at this hotel Friday 18th. Before we had arrived I had arrange a bottle of bubbly to be in our room as a surprise. I liaised with Monika the room service manager. She was extremely helpful and arrange my request. When we arrived we found difficulty finding the underground parking but there was someone outside to help us. We went to reception to check in who we had Monika to check us in. Monika was really welcoming asking us if we were here for a special occasion. Even tho we wasn't really it was just our first weekend away since having a baby she still had upgraded us to a executive room as she said it still a special occasion which was a really lovely surprise.
We found our room at ease as the hotel is well sign posted (if you did get lost you can always easily find someone who is more than happy to help you). When we entered the room too be honest my first fault was this is a pretty small room however it didn't bother me as we weren't cramped.

Our bottle of bubble was there as we had requested plus Monika (room service manager) had also arranged strawberries dipped in chocolate. Such a lovely surprise again! I did have to ring down to room service as only one glass had been given and too my surprise I actually spoke to Monika. She was really apologetic about it and we didn't have to wait long at all for the extra glass. Monika had actually personally came to our room to deliver the glass and also brought us some fruit for the mistake. She didn't need to but we are greatful as we did really enjoy it and I was very much impressed with the customer service.

My partner and I got ready to pop out for some cocktails whilst getting ready we ordered some room service for nibbles our starters. My partner ordered us the duck wraps and spring rolls. The food was AMAZING we literally licked the plate clean. Words actually can't describe how amazing the food was. Also the the food arrived prompt and didn't have to wait long at all. When me and my partner arrived back to the hotel we just wanted to lay in bed get our dinner and enjoy a film. I ordered the spag Bol and my partner ordered the beef burger also we actually got our film free due to a room service deal they have. Again I couldn't complain and they do not hold back on the portion sizes either.

That night was stupidly hot and sticky and we were greatful for the air conditioning, the bed we're comfy. We really did have a lovely night sleep it was defiantly what we needed.

We did upgrade for the breakfast which was really at a reasonable price considering it included everything. Again I couldn't fault the food at all. It was amazing they kept the buffet topped up and clean. The staff we're welcoming and we received a quick service.
The only gripe I have is that when we checked out and paid for the car parking the gentleman told us that he gave us a special price but he didn't it was a standard tariff as we saw the car park prices on a sign as we left. I would of been fine if he said that you been here for 12 hours so the cost is....... But this isn't major issue.

Overall this hotel is brilliant and I will defiantly stay here again. The staff are amazing, they all have brilliant customer service skills, all welcoming and always happy to help you.

The food is amazing. Cannot fault it at all.

The location is perfect.

Rooms are clean and comfortable.
The money we paid was reasonable and we defiantly got more for our money.

Thank you to all the staff for making our stay so relaxing :-)

Dear Skye0503

Thank you for staying with us at Kensington Close hotel!

I am most delighted to learn we provided you with well deserved rest and with a great service, especially on Monika’s part! I will be forwarding this to her as it is most lovely to hear when our staff works hard and receives a compliment!

Thank you again for the review, I would love to welcome you back in the future!

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Kensington Close Hotel? Share your experiences!