“Kensington Close Hotel near High Street” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kensington Close Hotel

You added Kensington Close Hotel to your Saves list
Kensington Close Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wrights Lane, Kensington, London W8 5SP, England (Kensington and Hyde Park)   |
Ranked #616 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Kensington Close Hotel near High Street”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013 via mobile

I spent my 3 nights stayed at Kensington Close Hotel during my recent visit to London. It is strategicly located near to Underground and very near to Kensington High Street.

The hotel lobby looks pretty good and large. However, the check-in process took quite sometimes on the day I check-in as they are few groups of tourism checking in as well. The 2 guests lift are really small and it take aged to come. I need to wait for more than 10 mins until my turn as they are to many hotel guests waiting for the lift. However, in later the day, I discovered there is another brand new guest lift with larger capacity located behind the door, it is fast also. I think most of the people didn't notice it.

The room look decent, clean but very small. The toilet and bath area are very small too. The bed quality is so so as I am very serious when comes to bed and pillow. Neither one of this make me feel I want to sleep longer here.

The breakfast is very simple and less of varieties. I would rather spent £15 for a better breakast outside the hotel.

In less than 5 mins walk from the hotel, it is the high street. They are plenty of branded shops and restaurants here. You can easily spent half day shopping here.

In overall, I would say Kensington Close Hotel is a good value hotel with strategic location near high street and underground.

• Stayed May 2013
Paul Q, Head Concierge & Guest Relations Manager at Kensington Close Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear Dcspeed,

In regards to the size of our Standard rooms & bathrooms, these are both consistent with the neighbouring hotels in the local area of Kensington and central London. We do however offer our guests several other room categories that provide for additional comfort and space such as our Executive Club rooms.

I am delighted that you were able to take advantage of our most convenient location within minutes from the tube station and Kensington High Street with all of its shops and restaurants at your fingertips.

We hope to welcome you back to the Kensington Close Hotel & Spa again in the near future.

Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (371)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Milan (Italy)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed at the Kensington Close in March 2013 for 5 days. It is in an excellent location, there are shops, super markets and a Tube station close by. The hotel is clean and the buffet dinner and breakfast were excellent!
The staff were in my experience, efficient and friendly. I did think my room was rather small but I think for the price it was more than reasonable. It is London after all. I would stay here again.
The only negative I might mention is that the lifts are always in use. Its a big hotel. if you dont want to walk up and down stairs, I dont mind, I would try to get a room on a lower floor. I was on the 5th but as I said it wasnt a problem for me to get an extra bit of exercise.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Patrickjkerr,

Thank you for choosing the Kensington Close Hotel and providing us with feedback on your recent visit to London.

I am pleased that you found your stay with us good value for money, and that you were able to take advantage of our most convenient of locations, minutes from the Tube station and Kensington High Street with all of its shops and restaurants.

I am delighted that you found our staff friendly and efficient and that based on your initial stay, I do hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you back to Kensington Close Hotel and Spa on your next visit to London.

Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

Checked in at 7:30 pm, but no room ready. A first in 30 years of business travel. Very ordinary, but ok at gbp100 per night. Not worth more. Good central location. Seems a bit steep to change an extra gbp10 for Internet access

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ian M,

With reference to our WiFi, the hotel charges competitive rates in line with other central London hotels and the price is clearly stated on our website so that guests can make an informed decision when making a booking.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel is excellent - and the lobby is nice - but my room was so small and dismal! The single bed was very uncomfortable. Wifi was expensive. After a few days I moved to a nicer, more comfortable hotel. Was very glad to check out of this place!

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Bcity_girl,

With reference to our WiFi, the hotel charges competitive rates in line with other central London hotels and the prices are clearly stated in our website so that customers can make an informed decision when booking with us.

Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife and I and my parents stayed there this month for three nights. It is in a ok location and clean at most times. The front desk is very nice and the staff in the pub are great. But the resturant staff was not great at all. It took over 10 minutes to get a drink order and we over heard other customers waiting for a while for food. Also it was not busy they decided to sit us right near some other family in the front of the resturant. The manager on duty was not nice. will never stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lizandian08,

I was happy to hear you were satisfied with the service provided by our Front Office and Bar staff. However I would also like to take this opportunity to apologise if the restaurant service wasn't up to your standard. I have passed on your comments to our Food & Beverage Manager for his consideration.

Please accept our apologies that you did not enjoy your stay this time, we would like the opportunity to welcome you back to the Kensington Close Hotel and Spa for a better experience in the near future.

Corby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I know I booked a standard room but this was below par or maybe just ROOM 162 needs to be avoided.
The room is small by any 'standard'.
The lights were wall mounted (no overhead ones) above bed and dressing table which meant you could not read the aircon controls by the door not the safe workings in wardrobe.
The wardrobe had ample shelf space but there was a boxed in item in the middle of the space to hang clothes and with hangers that do not come off rail that meant about 6" of hanging space either side of the boxing.
There were no coat hooks in the room and on a wet couple of days where do you hang wet gear?
The bath room had very limited space by the basin squeezed in between the bath and a wall and for anyone of a large size it would not be possible to 'fully' use the tiolet squeezed in between two walls.
No shelf to put any toiletries and one small towel rail to hang both bath and hand towels.
The hotel boasts spa facilities but dont expect to use them free as a resident its an £8 fee.
Meals well the evening meal was fine but after waiting 17minutes to be offered a sweet we gave up and made do with 2 courses yes we could have called someone but do they want the custom.........................
Breakfast was self service and also b*g standard.
If you go eat out and check your allocated room first.
On the plus side handy for area and Babylon Gardens a must eat at venue.

Room Tip: dont use 162
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul Q, Head Concierge & Guest Relations Manager at Kensington Close Hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear jwgNorthants,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We value all feedback whether it is positive or constructive. It is through such communication that we are given an opportunity to evaluate our performance, and focus on any areas that need to be addressed, ensuring we deliver the standard of service that our guests have come to expect from us. Having said that, I would like to rebuff some the comments above as some of the points raised were inaccurate and speculative.

Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback. It is through such communication that we have the opportunity to evaluate our performance and focus on any areas that need to be addressed. This in turn will improve our guest’s experiences moving forward.

Prague
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Rarely have I felt the need to get back home from a trip and share with my fellow travellers this awful experience we had on a trip to London during our stay at this hotel.
This hotel is a rip off and a disgrace!
The only plus point is the great location just off Kensington High Street which is a good shopping location (many shops like on Oxford Street minus the crowds) and good walking distance to Hyde Park, close to tube and many bus stops.
Now for the minuses - where do I start?
* Awfully small room; one would expect that for a 2* hotel in London but in a 4* hotel that K. Close is claiming to be (only claiming...!), one should expect to be able to get to bed without having to crawl over one´s partner!!
* Bathroom a disgrace - the sink was blocked and shower had minimal pressure. It is so small you literally cannot turn in it
* Wifi connection a shameful and shocking 9.99 GBP per 24 hours!! In this time an age when internet connection is available for free in any high street café, to charge your guests this amount is a disgusting rip off. There is a Costa Coffee about 2 minutes down the road proving the point!!
* Rude staff. We had a very unpleasant check in experience with a staff member called - perhaps appropriately of her character - Dragana (dragon). She was very rude when our agent made a mistake with the booking, showing no sympathy and basically just giving us the finger. People like that should get a different job and not be in customer services!!
* Awfully noisy! At night they close what they call "fire doors" which are located along the corridors about every 5 rooms. These doors, when opened and closed, make a terrible banging sound that would wake the dead. So as guests return home they wake you with an awful regularity with the banging of these fire doors. Sleeping without earplugs is impossible. Also all noises from neighbourghing rooms can be heard as if there was no wall at all
* English breakfast is mediocre and the restaurant gets awfully crowded. We had to wait 15 minutes to get a table at breakfast. The restaurant capacity is desperately inadequate for the size of the hotel
* Very soft beds (probably caused by overused and not replaced mattraces) which give you a back ache even if you are not prone to it
In a nuthsell - don´t bother! This place does not live up to the expecations at all and is an awful value for money and a rip off (internet for 9.99/24 hrs... come on!).
I will never stay again and I would suggest you avoid it too.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Paul Q, Head Concierge & Guest Relations Manager at Kensington Close Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Ellena_el,

Having said that, I remain extremely disappointed to have read of your interaction with our colleague on Reception upon your arrival and the clear lack of empathy displayed. All our members of staff are trained and committed in providing an excellent customer service. In this case you mentioned yourself that a mistake had been made with your booking by your agent, which I'm sure could have been easily rectified on our part as we here to assist you.

The "fire doors" that exist on all floors are there for the safety of our guests and staff and compartmentalise our corridors in sections in case of an emergency. We do release them during the night time as a safety measure and open them again first thing in the morning when there are more people traversing the corridors.

Paul

Been to Kensington Close Hotel? Share your experiences!