“Will never stay here again” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Kensington Close Hotel

You added Kensington Close Hotel to your Saves list
Kensington Close Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wrights Lane, Kensington, London W8 5SP, England (South Kensington)   |
Ranked #588 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Silver Spring
“Will never stay here again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed at the KC for 3 nights while on a business trip - the company I work with is located on Kensington High Street so the hotel is very conveniently located. That's about the only positive thing I can say about it. The room was shabby, with very uncomfortable beds, no light over the mirror, and many other issues. Checkin and getting my bags took a ridiculous amount of time. Access to the room was always difficult, sometimes with lines at the run-down and tiny elevators. The worst issue by far was breakfast. The food is of very poor quality, and the service even worse. The women at the desk by the restaurant were rude and dismissive.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Paul Q, Head Concierge & Guest Relations Manager at Kensington Close Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear MaeveTraveler,

Thank you for your feedback of your experience at the Kensington Close Hotel & Spa.

We would also like to apologise that despite our convenient location, you found your stay disappointing. We have raised your concerns with all our heads of department’s to ensure all staff is giving excellent customer service which our guests have come to expect from us.
Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback. It is through such communication that we have the opportunity to evaluate our performance and focus on any areas that need to be addressed. This in turn will improve our guest’s experiences moving forward.

Paul

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights recently and found the hotel to be clean, with small rooms (quite common in London) and respectful service. The large lobby is welcoming, and the gym and spa quite nice – though you have to pay extra to enter. It is a good place to stay if you are on a budget, but want some place that is reasonably clean with respectful service – they even have a doorman who greets you when you enter the hotel.

The first 3 nights I stayed in an executive double room that was comfortable, though the bed took up most of the room. It had a shower in a long slender bathroom, hot water kettle and flat screen TV. The last 2 nights I had to switch to a single room, that was slightly smaller, but because it had a single bed, it made the room seem larger. It also had a large bathtub, which was nice. I should mention that the hotel is quite large with other 800 rooms, and sometimes the elevator service can be slow with so many people staying there.

The hotel is located very close to Kensington High Street tube stop, which allows you to quickly gain access to other parts of London. Also, I really enjoyed all of the shops, coffee bars, and cute restaurants on the high street – just one block from the hotel.

Dear Lizwine,

Thank you for choosing the Kensington Close Hotel and Spa for providing us with feedback on your recent visit to London.

I am pleased that you found your stay with us good value for money, our members of staff helpful, our Executive Rooms comfortable and that you were able to take advantage of our most convenient of locations minutes from the tube station and Kensington High Street with all of its shops and restaurants.

I do hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you back to Kensington Close Hotel and Spa on your next visit to London.

Johannesburg
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I stayed there for 4 nights and found the staff to be extremely helpful, especially the concierge staff They booked tickets for all the major attractions and for the big bus tours for us. The reception and bar area is very comfortable. The prices are very steep for South African travellers, the room was very compact but had everything we needed. The wifi was very expensive and you had to buy for 24 hours at a time. Breakfasts were great. The location of the hotel is perfect for getting around London, a block away from the Kensington High street underground station and about 3 blocks to the nearest Big bus company stop and Hyde park.

Room Tip: Some rooms are very far from reception, check and use the far lifts if necessary
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Paul Q, Head Concierge & Guest Relations Manager at Kensington Close Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear NatashaDawson,

Thank you for choosing the Kensington Close Hotel and Spa and providing us with feedback on your recent visit to London.

I'm delighted to hear how satisfied you were with the service provided by our Concierge team and that you took advantage of some of our services to make this trip memorable.

With reference to our WiFi, the hotel charges competitive rates in line with other central London hotels, and our rates are also clearly advertised on our website so people can see them at the time of making a reservation in order to make an informed choice.

I am pleased that you found your stay with us good value for money, and that you were able to take advantage of our most convenient of locations minutes from the Tube station and Kensington High Street with all of its shops and restaurants.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Good location for the money in London, a big hotel but car parking very limited.
No free wifi.
some of the rooms are a long way to walk.., which seems for ever if you already have tired feet!
Good spa facilities.
Good value for money, in London.

Room Tip: Good location, for cost in London
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear N-M4F,

I am sorry to hear that you may have encountered difficulties parking at our hotel upon your arrival however, please do note that our car park offers 18 spaces in total for our guests to facilitate and on the odd occasion when capacity is reached there is also alternative parking within less than a minutes' walk from the hotel.

As you may be aware, following our recent refurbishment last year, the hotel increased its room capacity from 550 to 708 rooms, adding considerably to the size of the property. It is therefore understandable that some rooms are a bit further away from the lifts than others.

All in all, I am pleased that you found your stay with us good value for money, and that you were able to take advantage of our most convenient of locations minutes from the tube station and Kensington High Street with all of its shops and restaurants. We hope to welcome you back to the Kensington Close Hotel & Spa again in the near future.

Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here for three nights on a business trip, it was my second time at this hotel but I should have trusted my instinct not to return after being dissapointed the first time.

Good points
The bar and reception area have recently been modernised and are nice
It has a good location
The gentleman who meet you at the door was lovely and helpful

Bad points
Rooms are small, I paid extra this time for a superior double as the first time I stayed there the room was tiny. I wasted my money on the upgrade the room wasn't any bigger than a standard room.
Reception messed up my paperwork, it all should have been billed back to co (which was confirmed twice prior to arrival) but I had to pay
My colleague and I had to be moved twice because on entering our rooms there was a really strong smell of Cannabis in the room. Eventually someone from reception came up to confirm that we weren't going mad and told us that others had said the same...but apparently it was their carpet cleaner...really don't understand if this is true why they would continue to use it when it was so pungent.
If you order anything off the Al a Carte menu at breakfast be prepared for a long wait

Needless to say I won't be going back and wouldn't recommend it to others

Room Tip: You would be better in a Premier Inn
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Paul Q, Head Concierge & Guest Relations Manager at Kensington Close Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear Rebecca D,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We value all feedback whether it is positive or constructive. It is through such communication that we are given an opportunity to evaluate our performance, and focus on any areas that need to be addressed, ensuring we deliver the standard of service that our guests have come to expect from us.

I was delighted to hear that you liked the modernisation of our public areas following our multimillion pound refurbishment that finished last year and you were able to take advantage of our excellent location, close to the Tube station and the local amenities of High Street Kensington. Thank you, for your recognition of our colleagues and I have also shared your very kind comments with our Doorman.

In regards to the size of our Standard rooms, these are consistent with the neighbouring hotels in the local area of Kensington and central London. We do however offer our guests several other room categories that provide for additional comfort and space such as our Executive Club rooms.

I was very disappointed to hear though about your experience with the bad smell in the room. I can assure you that our rooms are checked twice before they are allocated to a guest; once by the maid who services them and then again by our floor supervisor. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience of having to move rooms twice and I would like to offer you my assurance that we have passed on your comment to our Executive Head Housekeeper to investigate further and take any corrective action necessary.

Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback. It is through such communication that we have the opportunity to evaluate our performance and focus on any areas that need to be addressed. This in turn will improve our guests' experiences moving forward.

southampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here during a weekend theatre break. The main plus points are the location, (central London and with its own underground car park,) and proximity to the tube. The accomodation is good, clean and everything you need, but I'd describe it as functional rather than somewhere to stay for the pleasure of staying there. Breakfast was poor, just a buffet-style affair, most of which was depleted. We didn't try the restaurant other than breakfast. Clean and efficient, a bit like an upmarket Travelodge, but with the massive location advantage.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Scotty03,

I am pleased that you were able to take advantage of our most convenient of locations, minutes from the Tube station and Kensington High Street with all of its shops and restaurants. I am sorry to hear though that you did not find our buffet-style breakfast up to your liking and I have shared your comments with our Head Chef. We do also offer a breakfast selection via our a la carte menu should our guests choose to take advantage of this.

Based on your initial stay, I do hope that we shall have the pleasure to welcome you and your partner back to the Kensington Close Hotel and Spa on your next visit to London.

Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Hotel rooms extremely tiny, hanging space in the closet insufficient-even for a weekend, absolutely clean, staff very nice and helpful; at check-in long waiting time (30 min); breakfast quality mediocre

Room Tip: Standard room was extremely small
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear FifiGermany,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. We value all feedback whether it is positive or constructive. It is through such communication that we are given an opportunity to evaluate our performance, and focus on the areas that need to be addressed, ensuring we deliver the standard of service that our guests have come to expect from us.

In regards to the size of our Standard, they are consistent with the neighbouring hotels in the local area of Kensington and central London. We do however offer our guests several other room categories that provide for additional comfort and space such as our Superior and Executive Club rooms.

I was pleased to hear that you found the the service provided by our staff nice and helpful, and would also like to offer my apologies for queuing longer than expected upon check-in. Due to the size of our property, it can get very busy at certain times so we try to co-ordinate this and make the whole process as efficient and quick as possible.

Paul

Been to Kensington Close Hotel? Share your experiences!