“Bedroom too small to swing a cat.” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Kensington Close Hotel

Save Saved
You added Kensington Close Hotel to your Saves list
Kensington Close Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wrights Lane, Kensington, London W8 5SP, England (Kensington and Hyde Park)   |
Ranked #591 of 1,075 hotels in London
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Bedroom too small to swing a cat.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Double room very small. I am in a wheelchair and so need some space. When I complained I was told that all the rooms are the same size. The TV is an old cathode ray tube with five channels. I have never stayed in a London hotel room as small as this.
Wifi is very expensive.
The bed does not have a bedside table on both sides and there is no light switch on one side.
It is a shame that the public areas are so opulent and the bedrooms are so small.

1,478 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

The Kensington Close is a very good option if you wish to stay in the bustling area of High Street Kensington. Its location is good as it is located a few hundred metres from the tube station, there is a Marks and Spencer nearby, a pharmacy and many eating places on High Street Kensington.

The hotel itself does not look very fancy on the outside but the inside is very nice. It has been recently renovated. The room I had was pretty well sized but I am duly informed by other members of my travelling party that their rooms were a bit on the small side.

The breakfast is not very inspiring though. I did not eat any other meals at the restaurant so I cannot comment on the quality of the other food. There is one main restaurant, if I remember correctly. There is no free wifi here. You have to pay for a password at the front desk. The price is according to how many hours you wish to purchase.

Most of the staff (doorman, bellboy, waiters etc) are very pleasant except for a few persons at reception who I found to be very rude and aloof when dealing with some members of my group. I think the front desk employees need to be a little more humble as they never know what offices their guests hold. I was very embarrassed when a young female employee working at the front desk of a hotel was being rude to Court of Appeal Judge, who was part of my party. The gentleman was very dignified in the manner in which he handled the situation, which was to brush it off. Perhaps a little training is needed for the staff?

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sunderland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

I stayed at this hotel From Tuesday 16th - Thursday 18th November 2012. It was solely because of location and price as I was needing to be close to the Earls Court arena. The hotel from the moment of arriving to the moment I left was nothing but excellent. The staff at the door to carry my case the the receptionist who booked me in the arrival was out of this world. The room was slightly small but I had no intentions of playing 5 a side in there so it was no issue. The quality of the room was excellent with great decor and very high standard.
Having previously stayed in the Russel Sq area I find this hotel much better quality. The breakfast room was very nicely presented and very good service. Unlike some other hotels which sometimes look like Kings Cross in the rush hour.
The bar and loundge area I also used when arriving back at tea time to catch up on emails and also in the evening. Prices more what I would expect but the area and staff are very nice and very helpful.
The pool and sauna facilities I would have looked to hav had the time to experience but sadly did not have the time.
Would recommend to anyone looking for a nice Hotel in London.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
near London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

I needed an overnight room near the Royal Albert Hall and, after a long search found this hotel at what I considered to be a sensible price (£75 a night). To be honest this was really the first decent looking hotel I had found in the right price range, most of the others listed on-line (particularly in the Bayswater area) looked like little more than doss houses/flophouses.

The hotel is very impressive if a bit like a rabbit warren, you have to concentrate on basic landmarks to avoid getting lost inside.

My room was a proper single including a full bathroom (with plenty of hot water), a wardrobe, desk - everything you get in a normal size room just a bit smaller. A lot of places I had to stay in before had singles that look like converted closets but this was purpose-built. It was clean, in good state of decoration, at the end of a corridor so fairly quiet (more on that later), the heating/ventilation system worked. The room also passed three important tests - very little light came in from the corridor round the door, the whole ventilation system could be shut down at night and the windows opened. Got no complaints here.

I used it as a base so bought food and drinks outside - I'm not saying the hotel food and drink is poor value just that paying £13 for breakfast is outside my budget. There's a great M&S (Marks & Spencer) just next to High Street Kensington Tube Station (under 2 minutes walk away) if you want good snack food and wine or something else to drink. I also think you'll find just about anything else you could need within a short walk. The local Thai restaurant was advertising meals for under £10. The location would be ideal for exploring London except that the nearest tube station is on the Circle Line, which to me rates with the Northern Line as the worst in the system. Do not be surprised to find Tube services shut down over weekends for engineering work or severely delayed during the week by things like signal failures but there is also a very good bus service along Kensington High Street. You are also within realistic walking (the streets are very safe day and night, just be sensible) distance of significant landmarks like Buckingham Palace and the major museums.

Unfortunately, after a great start and a great concert at the RAH (just over 10 minutes walk away) things sort of fell apart. I got to sleep but just before 1am was woken by someone very enthusiastically dumping glass into a recycling container right below the room. I got back to sleep and had a repeat performance at 2:45am - this is just sloppy management and it simply needs to be stopped. I had the windows closed and the noise was still loud enough to wake the dead, the staff members doing the work clearly felt that if they had to be up at that hour everyone else around should be - not acceptable. There was also a problem when I checked out because although the lady dealing with it was very friendly she didn't speak English well enough to understand that I wanted to actually see the credit card imprint they took the day before cancelled - if anything gets charged to it 'I will be back'.

On a general note if you are from possibly the USA and looking at London for a vacation I have to say that (as someone born in London but who hasn't lived there since the late 1960s) it looks like very good value to me right now. You can ride the Tube anywhere for just £7.70 (US$11) a day, I did a cruise down the Thames for £4 (US$6) on the Clipper service that runs every 15 minutes from the London Eye (big boats with coffee and snacks to buy on board) and I was just very pleased to get around the city again without spending too much money. In all I easily got change out of £20 for a day out with a snack lunch. Just don't sucked into any of the very organised tourist stuff - get a guide book, get a Tube map, go explore and enjoy my home town.

Room Tip: I'd suggest that if you get allocated a room that isn't what you expected - complain. I met...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Arriving at the hotel we were very impressed by the reception and bar area, also being told on arrival we've had an upgrade we feel we're off to a good start.
We arrive in the room and dread to think what the standard rooms are like. The room was a tight squeeze to say the least. The kettle didn't work, the television was faulty and the room was generally outdated.
After informing staff of the faults we felt we were being accused of breaking the kettle and instead if bringing a new one they came to check it was infact broken then failed to replace it. The next day after reporting it again it was replaced.
Our sleep was disrupted several times due to doors slamming and being able to hear people in the smoking area just below our window.
To top it off on our final morning housekeeping woke us up to clean even though we were checking out that day.
We expect a lot more from a 4 star hotel, mainly amenities that work efficiently and staff that have a clue about customer service.
We won't be returning.

• Stayed October 2012
kenclose, General Manager at Kensington Close Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay at our Hotel. I am delighted that our staff offered you an upgrade even though it appears it wasn't to your full satisfaction.

You are correct, if in fact it took 1 day to replace the coffee kettle, it is over our established service/delivery standards and we do apologize for that.

I am not sure what category room you were booked, which would have dictated the upgrade category as well.

Thank you for your attention. Please do not hesitate to contact me, if there is anything at all I can do from this end.

Kind regards,
Westbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

The room we had was very small, bathroom not big enough for a cat to swing a cat & you need to reverse backwards if you need to use the toilet, had a round of drinks in the bar & was with a 15% discretionary charge which was well overpriced, the hotel also wanted £10 per day for wi-fi - in this day and age should be FREE to everyone.
All round great location but members of staff could do with a bit a schooling in the charm department - rudeness is not at option when the customer pays thier wages

1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

Please stay away from this hotel, i wish i had of paid extra and got somewhere else.... Rooms are tiny, bathroom smaller, the only good thing about this hotel was checking out. Was told maintenance was acceptable because we had standard room, I will never return to this hotel and I would strongly recommend anyone to do the same

• Stayed October 2012
kenclose, General Manager at Kensington Close Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to respond, altough you have not given us much information in order to address any specific issues you may have encountered.

We acknowledge your comment about the room size and encourage you to book in one of our Club or Executive Club category rooms where you will find spacious suites with flat screen televisions, mini bars, bathrobes and more.

Thank you for your attention. Please do not hesitate to contact us, if there is anything at all we can do from this end.

Kind regards,

Been to Kensington Close Hotel? Share your experiences!