“Value for money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Kensington Close Hotel

You added Kensington Close Hotel to your Saves list
Kensington Close Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Wrights Lane, Kensington, London W8 5SP, England (South Kensington)   |
Ranked #589 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Athens, Greece
“Value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Personnel was very friendly , always smiling and ready to help you with your requests, the room very clean and modern, the gym had almost everything you need for aerobic or weights exercise, the location is great just a minute walk to Kensington High street station and walking distance from Hyde Park and the museums.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
lichfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Booked a week end trip to see les miserables with a company called capital breaks down by train/hotel and show tickets all very reasonable they were outstanding and the kensington close hotel they booked us into was first class will do it again no problem

Room Tip: if you are staying 1 or 2 nights a standard room is perfect if i was staying longer i would think ab...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Dingy rooms (don't be fooled by their tarted up lobby), unreliable service, and attempted overcharges on your bill? Then this will be the place for you. Do you see all the other negative reviews here? Heed them.

Took a chance and booked this hotel in spite of all the negative reviews because the hotel highlighted had a very good fitness centre and pool in their description. And, it's true. What they lowlighted, if they mentioned it at all, was that you have to pay extra to use them. This is cheating. If you want to brag about your pool, at least be honest enough to tell how much extra you're going to charge your guests to use it.

Actually, this is a pattern at this establishment, who will try to nickel and dime you to death. Actually, this is London, so it's more like 5 and 10 pound you to death. Want a bucket of ice? Guess how much they want for it? Well, you can find out for yourself when you go there.

Oh, and, if you book via hotels.com, you will see it shows that internet is free. However, when you get there, they will try to charge for internet and claim hotels.com is lying about the internet being free. I got a good laugh from that, and after a moment, they did agree to "waive" the internet fee. So far so good. Only problem within a couple hours, the internet crashed, and wasn't available for the duration of our one day stay.

The final memorable moment of the stay was when, at checkout, they tried to charge me again for the internet which: 1) should have been included in the price in the first place; 2) was crashed and unavailable for our entire stay.

All this only to find their gym and pool is actually open to the public and I could have booked a nicer and cheaper room down the street and used the savings to pay for the fitness centre/pool entrance fee. Well, next time I'll know better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
kenclose, General Manager at Kensington Close Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Greetings. Thank you for taking the time to write in. We value all our guests' comments as they help in the continuous strive for excellence. I am equally compelled to respond to your review as we believe it is largely an unfair depiction of our Hotel. I address each point you raise in the order they appear.

Our newly refurbished, modern lobby and bar are hardly tarted up. They have been meticulously designed for comfort, luxury and seamless service. I am not sure what category room you booked. If, however, we did not deliver the category you reserved and paid for, we would be delighted to refund any difference in rate. Our Hotel offers small, medium, large and suite category rooms, all different with amenities and costs. While we are always disappointed to note dissatisfaction from any of our guests, you will appreciate that some guests travel with a specific budget. As you correctly pointed out, the London market is generally very expensive. We would have been delighted to offer you a higher category room, if you found your original choice to be below expectation. Hotels.com generally offers very competitive rates but not necessary the most luxurious and spacious category rooms in our Hotel.

We are happy to note that our guests have provided overwhelmingly very good/excellent reviews since the multimillion pound refurbishment.

Kindly note, we do not charge for ice in our Hotel. You may have received a service charge, standard for all Hotels, if you requested it through our 24 hrs. room service facility.

We hope you can also appreciate that when a third party is involved, a booking engine in this case, errors and omissions may occur. I am glad to see that our team was quick to react and remove any charges (internet) at your request. The internet charges are automatically posted to the account - it is not a manual function of a team member. If you attempted to log on during multiple occasions, the charges would inadvertently appear on your statement. Once again, we are delighted our staff reacted swiftly and removed the charges upon your departure. As an aside, we are grateful you have brought this to our attention, as the free WiFi promotion ended on August 31, 2012, and as such, should not have appeared on Hotels.com website.

You are correct regarding our sports center and leisure spa facilities. While we do maintain a good number of private members, the access charge for the public is significantly higher than the cost (£8) Hotel guests are subject to.

Thank you for your attention. Please do not hesitate to contact us, if there is anything further we can do from this end.

Kind regards,
Neuchatel, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

This was my second stay at this well located recently refurbished hotel; just down the street from High Street Kensigton underground station. The decor is modern and the rooms are comfortable with great beds and clean new white bathrooms; the room on my first visit was small but adequate. The double room I had this visit was much larger and more comfortable. Access to the rooms is via small lifts which are quite out of keeping with the impressive new modern well decorated, open, spacious reception bar and lounge areas.
Check in and check out involved queuing as not enough staff on the front desk. I checked in at 10pm and the hotel clearly had a problem with obtaining credit card pre authorisation, my card was declined, (as was guest checking in next to me?!) and only when I called for the manager, and called my credit card company, who confirmed there was no problem with my card, did the hotel agree to get a manual authorisation but only up to the value of one night's accommodation. And I was advised that I was not permitted to charge anything to the room! As I had not eaten I had planned to order room service; instead I ended up at McD! I was unimpressed with the approach and attitude of the manager to the predicament I was in (and not of my making) and as a consequence I have recommended that our company look to stay at an alternative central London hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Insist on a refurbished room. The four digit room numbers appear to be the double rooms and they ar...
Dundee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for two nights. On arrival at the hotel we were informed a deposit of £60 was required (our room was prepaid). In fairness it does state in the booking terms this will happen but it does not say it will be £60. I was assured by the member of staff who checked us in that this money would be available in my bank as soon as I checked out. It also states in the booking terms "any such deposit shall be cancelled or returned at the end of the guests stay". I asked again when we checked out yesterday morning if the money would be available and was told rather abruptly yes. Well I am still waiting for this money to be available in my account and after phoning my bank they told me it was the hotel so I phoned the hotel and spoke to Martha who I'm not sure if she was the manager or a supervisor and she told me that it could take up to 72 hours for the money to go back in. So after being told by 2 different members of staff I would have the money straight away this is not the case.
Received an email just as I'm typing this and apparently the £60 will be back in my account by next week. How can the hotel be allowed to do this with my money?

When we asked the night before checking out about a left luggage service we were told by reception it was free - yet again we were told lies as there is actually a charge of £1 per item.

Our double room was so small it was actually impossible to walk between the bed and the bathroom door. The extractor fan in the bathroom was so noisy we had to get someone to look at it for us. The tv was ancient, and pillows on the bed were lumpy. I

We were looking forward to going for a swim but decided not to at a cost of £8 per person, again this is not made clear on the website.

Extremely unhappy with my stay at this hotel, the staff clearly need training on the actual charges of things and exactly how long they take. They could also do with customer service training.

My advice would be to pay any further deposits in cash as that way you will hopefully get it back as soon as you check out.

Room Tip: Avoid room 351 as its tiny and also noisy.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Lytham St Anne's, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed here earlier this week - I had stayed there several years ago & to be honest was not keen to return - BUT - for some reason, on check-in, I was upgraded to a Club Room.
What a great room ! Everything I needed and more - one of the nicest rooms I've had in London recently.
The breakfast was good - self service - and all-in-all, it was a good stay.

Room Tip: Try & get upgraded to a Club Room - I've no idea how you do this, because I didn't even...
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012 via mobile

Lovely hotel, but should include wifi and the swimming pool for no extra charge. In room 1003 the tv did not work. The room was a bit on the small side. Great location. I have finished this review now but trip adviser is asking for 200 characters .

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Kensington Close Hotel? Share your experiences!