“Was it really an upgrade?” 3 of 5 stars

Corus Hotel Hyde Park London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 - 7 Lancaster Gate, London W2 3LG, England   |
Ranked #573 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Was it really an upgrade?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Just returned from 2 nights at the Corus on a Travel Zoo offer. Friendly reception staff and room ready at 12 noon. We were told we had a room upgrade overlooking Hyde Park which was the offer, subject to availability. It was a Viceroy room, whatever that was supposed to be but the room was small, as was the bathroom but adequate for what we required. There may have been a bit of a view but the window was so dirty that we really could not tell whether it was raining or not. The dinner was very nice in Olio's but I had to ask for the 20% discount which I understood was standard for residents. I did not read the small print on the menu but the meal was subject to a 10% service charge. The breakfast was ok but the hot food was only warm, the bacon was stuck together in a large lump, the fried eggs would have bounced off the plate where they had been overcooked and left standing and the scrambled egg was very lumpy. I decided a continental breakfast the best option for the second morning. Despite the irritations, it was a good position for exploring London and visiting the Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Shahar R, Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Madam,

I thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experience. Your constructive feedback is much appreciated.
I am glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the hotel at your own leisure and that our team at Corus Hyde Park Hotel London was friendly and attentive.
I have read your comment regarding breakfast and am disappointed that there were some service issues with the food. These issues are regrettable and I hope you will accept my sincere apologies disappointment that was caused and for the manner in which the situations were handled by the staff.
Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback and I do hope we are able to welcome you back to the Corus Hyde Park London in the future.

Kind Regards,

Mr. S. Rothschild
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Newport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I was a bit nervous about staying at this hotel, simply because of the reviews on this site. However, I was very happy with the service, staff, room & value of this hotel! I stayed with a friend for two nights over New Years Eve 2012/2013 where we had planned to do all the 'touristy' activities and found that the hotel is so accessible to everything we wanted to do.
We arrived just before check in, at 1.30pm so left the bags with concierge and headed round the corner where a pub is for a drink. Averagely priced pub for London, but wouldn't eat there - we wanted something cheaper. Walked two minutes north of the hotel up to Paddington Station where we came across a noodle bar, cheap, cheerful & filling! Would recommend. Hyde Park is also lovely for an evening walk.
Lancaster Gate tube station is five minutes away, which takes you straight onto the Central Line (Bond Street, Marble Arch etc) however if you do fancy the walk down the Oxford Street, it's a short walk at around 15/20 minutes.
The hotel staff were friendly and polite and the room was cleaned well after our first night - no missing items either which I always make sure about (maid's can be so sneaky). We didn't try the breakfast down at the little restaurant in the hotel, but it was always busy so I'm assuming it was at least edible.
Would stay here again if I had the chance to return to London - excellent hotel and near everything!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Madam,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Corus Hyde Park Hotel London.
I am delighted to hear that you were still surprised on arrival with our service, staff and your room size.
The delivery of great customer care is very important to us and is something that we work at daily to ensure we are continually striving for improvements.
I’m pleased you were satisfied with all our services and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Mr. S. Rothschild
Operations Manager
Aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This hotel is ideally located for the tube system (2minutes away) which means you are never too far away from the major attractions. Reception staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are on the small side with entry to the bed on one side only in the 2 rooms we stayed in. The first room had a terrible smell of blocked drain and we were eventually moved to another room although the initial response from reception leads us to believe this may be an ongoing problem. The second room was fine but this incident is the only reason we marked the hotel down on Sleep Quality / Cleanliness.

The ground floor of the hotel is traditional classic and the services are good. Breakfast is buffet style with a good range to chose from and was of a good quality. The bar is expensive but that was not unexpected.

Overall we were impressed with the hotel and if we could secure another reasonably priced deal we will definately stay there aagain.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Shahar R, Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read your four star review of the hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay at the Corus hotel Hyde Park.

I am also pleased to see you were impressed with the staff and the location of the hotel, the hotel is perfectly located just a short distance from the shops of Oxford Street, Knightsbridge, Notting Hill, Shepperd’s Bush and Kensington Gardens.

I have shared your wonderful comments regarding the breakfast with the team and we all very much hope to see you back at Corus hotel Hyde Park in the New Year.

Mooloolaba, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

We recently spent 3 nights here. The location is excellent and it's close to park and tube station. Rooms small but that is to be expected in London. Breakfast is expensive but hotels near serve lovely breakfast for much less

Room Tip: We had a viceroy room. Sounds grander then it is
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Shahar R, Guest Relations Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am also pleased to see you were impressed with the location of the hotel.

I sincerely hope we can be your hotel of choice when work or pleasure brings you back to the area.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Paris, France
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were at the corus hotel Hyde park from 30/12/12 to 1/01/13. We bought (by credit card), my boyfriend and i, 3 tours tickets to Madame Tussaud museum, Tower of London and London Eye for the 31st of December at the corus hotel conciergerie. The London Eye closed at 3 pm because of the fireworks and we arrived at 4 pm. The problem is the fact that the head of the hotel conciergerie who sold us the tickets didn't inform us about the ending time, we lost so much time and money (price for tickets and cabs) to go there and come back whereas we could have done so many great things instead... We are waiting for refund and compensation...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at the Corus hotel Hyde Park on Tripadvisor.

We consider the guest feedback of paramount importance whether good or bad. I sincerely and profusely apologies for the inconvenience caused to you during your stay.

With regards to your ticket to London Eye. The hotel was not aware that the London Eye was closing early due to the New Year firework display.

As a form of compensation, we have now authorised a full refund. The amount of £37.00 will be credited to the payment card, which was used to book the ticket, within the next 5 working days.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Corus hotel Hyde Park during your next stay in the area and should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We booked the room through travel zoo so we had paid in my opinion a small amount for a room in London for a Saturday night stay, and having read previous reviews my expectations were not that high, even to the point of pre warning my husband not to expect much, with the voucher it stated a room upgrade, if available, again previous reviews were negative, baring in mind ours was the last Saturday before Christmas, we got to the hotel at midday and was able to leave our bags at concierge and was informed we could check in from 2.30 and we had a room upgrade, so far so good, we had a fantastic time in London and went back at 7 to eventually check in, room was fine, our complimentary bottle of wine was waiting for us (another travel zoo perk) we had gowns and slippers and a small box of chocolates also, after having a shower, shower having only one temperature, full, but luckily I like hot showers but this still wasn't a burn your skin off heat, we decided on room service, we had to wait a while for a menu but after choosing and ordering we received a fantastic spread of food. The heating was quite noisy but manageable, bed was comfy enough, bathroom was a bit dated, everything could do with a face lift in there. Breakfast was fine, plenty to choose from and a chance to have a good fill before the day ahead. All in all the corus was a fine hotel to stay in, excellent position, right opposite the Italian garden in Hyde park, and next to Lancaster gate tube station, we paid a very reasonable amount for, our opinion, a great stay in London.

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read your comprehensive four star review of the hotel. I am so pleased you enjoyed your recent stay at the Corus hotel Hyde Park.

I am also pleased to see you were impressed with the location of the hotel, the hotel is perfectly located just a short distance from the shops of Oxford Street, Knightsbridge, Notting Hill, Shepperd’s Bush and Kensington Gardens.

If you are returning to the area, please do ensure to contact me directly as I would be delighted to greet you personally. Thank you for your recommendation

manchester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

When we got to the hotel the reception and staff were very pleasant however when we got up to our room it was more like 2 star than 4 star as it was small as was the bathroom, the windows were also drafty and there was no heating, we then phoned the staff who eventually brought us a blanket at 1AM. the next day we were then moved to a new room (that had the same problems) but were provided with a heater making our night a bit more bearable (we were also given a complimentary bottle of wine). in the morning we had an average breakfast and checked out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Shahar R, Guest Relations Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Firstly, may I thank you for choosing to stay with us; we very much look forward to welcoming you back.

Your comments regarding the service in reception will be passed on to the team as a sure motivator for the continued hard work into the New Year.

I must apologies if the heater in your room was not working properly. Rest assured this will be communicated to the maintenance manager.

In common with all historic hotels in central London we have unavoidable issues with the size of some of our rooms. We are simply not allowed to make them bigger or convert them.

By contacting us direct and specifying your exact requirements we will be able to do our very best to accommodate you.

I do hope to welcome you back in the near future

Guest Relations Manager

Been to Corus Hotel Hyde Park London? Share your experiences!