“Afternoon Tea just nothing special!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Corus Hotel Hyde Park London

Save Saved
You added Corus Hotel Hyde Park London to your Saves list
Corus Hotel Hyde Park London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 - 7 Lancaster Gate, London W2 3LG, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #597 of 1,054 Hotels in London
London/Croydon
“Afternoon Tea just nothing special!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Went for afternoon tea with a groupon voucher on the 30th September, normal value apparently £65, we spent £26. We arrived and were shown to a small area passed empty unlaid tables, it looked like the restaurant area was actually closed when we arrived. My friend had already had a glass of champagne in the bar area while waiting for me and had complained about glasses not being washed correctly, he watched them just rinse a glass under the tap and had to complain, not a good start.
The tea choice was good and on the face of it looking at the menu the tea advertised sounded good but how disappointing when it arrived.
3 strips of poor sandwiches, 1 ham, 1 egg and not sure what the other was. 1 scone each with cream and jam, not sure it was clotted. The cake selection was poor, the type of cakes you would buy from a cheap bakery, certainly none of them looked homemade or very appealing. If I had wanted any extra food a note on the menu said I would have to pay for it!
On a plus side the staff were very friendly and attentive but had I paid full price I would have been making a complaint there and then to the Manager.
There are a lot better teas on offer, even Fortnums only charge £35 per head and serve a fantastic range of homemade cakes and you can have more should you wish at no extra cost.
Based on that, would I go back to the Corys? No!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Shahar R, Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
It is a shame that you have left the hotel disappointed with our afternoon tea however pleased with the staff and the service.
Please be assured I have taken your comments onboard and will investigate with our Chef.
Your constructive feedback is much appreciated.
I do hope to welcome you again in the future.

Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I stayed here in August for 1 night with my mother. As part of the deal we were told that we would get an upgraded room if one was available. I have no idea what our room had above a normal room as it was very small. However it was comfortable for our one night stay. The lifts were a nightmare. One of the lifts appeared to be not working at all. I did mention it to reception but they said they knew there was a problem. We had a nightcap in the bar, but there was no atmosphere and the lights were on full blast so it was not very welcoming. The breakfast was very good, although as with most hotels at peak breakfast time, the staff seemed to be run off their feet.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your review.
I am sorry to hear that you have found your room a bit small.
I am thankful to your words of praise regarding breakfast.
Back in August we had a problem with one of our lifts which already been fixed.
We have 4 lifts in the hotel which operate in full speed.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to London.

Carlsbad
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

My wife and I (and son and daughter in law) were walking past the Corus hotel this afternoon when we noticed that they had a sign on the street advertising an afternoon tea deal of buy one get one free. We went in and said that we wanted to make a reservation for afternoon tea. The waitress asked us which of the types of teas that we wanted (regular, champagne, etc.), When my wife indicated that we saw the 2 for 1 sign on the street, she said that she needed to speak with her supervisor. Someone then came and told us that they did not have any space left this afternoon. I abhor this kind of deceit. If you wish to do business with an establishment that practices honest advertising, then steer well clear of the Corus hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Shahar R, Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your feedback, which certainly helps us to monitor and improve our service.
I sincerely apologies for the manner in which the situation was handled.
Please be assured I have taken your comments onboard and will make contact with you directly.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

The worst room ever seen in my life of traveller. The space can contain only a bed and a little table. It has benn very hard to stay there for three nights. Bathroom non to consider: no larger than 1,5 square meter. Nice place outside, nice the hall...terrible inside.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Shahar R, Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.
It is a shame that you have left the hotel disappointed with your room accommodation.
In fact we have several types of rooms at the Corus Hyde Park hotel.
You could come and ask in reception to change your room.
Our room sizes are the same as any other 4 star hotels in central London.
Despite the numerous numbers of guests we have carried on delivering high standard of services.
I hope you will return to the hotel soon.

Surrey, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

We stayed here overnight on company business. We arrived at 2.15pm to be told our room was not ready and could we come back in 40 minutes. My husband asked, very pleasantly, whether we could have our room number so we could open a tab. The receptionist launched into him saying how coulda she give him a room number until he checked in? Her attitude was appalling. My husband then asked if he could open a tab without a room, she did not know and made no effort to find out. My husband is a very laid back kind of person, had she spoken to me in the way she spoke to him I would have said something but he let it go.
Other staff were really helpful, the batman and the guy we eventually checked in were really helpful.
The room was supposed to be an upgrade but not sure why? Small room which I expect for a Central London location but do not expect frayed, stained carpets and armchairs.
The corporate rate paid by my husband's company was far from cheap, he was disappointed with the value for money.
I wouldn't choose to stay here again purely down to the initial experience we had.

Room Tip: Take ear plugs - poor sound insulation
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Madam,

I sincerely apologies for the manner in which the situation was handled.
I will be sure to pass on your comments regarding the reception to our Front of House Manager to investigate.
I am sorry you were not given your room until 3pm.
I can assure you this is an exception and will pass on your comments on to the relevant team members to ensure each and every one of our guests are able to check in at 2:30pm.
Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

England
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

I stayed here with family when attending the Last Night of the Proms in Hyde Park. The only thing that was an advantage of staying in this hotel was it's location. The rooms were tiny and I have stayed and much cheaper "budget" hotel chains which provide a lot bigger rooms with the same amenities. The rooms are very over priced for what they are. Having not eaten at the hotel I can't comment on the food, but the queue for breakfast did seem pretty long.
After one night at the hotel we were getting very frustrated with having to wait a long time for lift to get to the 5th floor. The lifts seemed to stop on every level and once they did get to the level you were on they were already full. We did try to find some stairs, but couldn't. We did try to ask at reception, but gave up as there was already a queue of people waiting to be spoken to.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Madam,

I thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experience.
Your constructive feedback is much appreciated.
I am sorry to hear that you have found your room a bit small.
We have many types of rooms that we could offer to you at the Corus hotel.
If you think that yours were a bit small you could ask to change your room.
The hotel was indeed busy and that’s why the lifts been stop in every floor.
I am sorry that you couldn’t try our breakfast.
As a matter of fact we only serve the fresh seasonal products on the market.
People can tell it!
We are looking forward to welcoming you back upon your next visit to London.

West Yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

No doormen to assist with luggage etc. reception staff were ok. Booked a triple room, large spacious photo on Internet, room good decor etc but nothing like photo, although ok. single bed in small separate area/room, no other furniture just the bed and a door, so gave some privacy, rest of bedroom whilst small was good standard, bathroom adequate. Massive downside room right next to all the lifts so late at night and from 6 in the morning all you could hear was the constant ping of people calling the lifts. This combined with the loud conversations of people in and out of the lifts was at times intolerable. On check out reception didn't ask the usual ' have you enjoyed your stay etc' . I am not sure how its a 4* hotel, premier inns are of a comparable standard but they don't charge £18 for 2 drinks and don't charge £200+ to stay there !

• Stayed September 2012
Shahar R, Manager at Corus Hotel Hyde Park London, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

It is a shame that you have left the hotel disappointed with your room accommodation, with the staff and the prices in our Bar.
We have a doorman from 7am to 11pm daily.
At any time from 11pm to 7am we have reception staff that will help.
Please be assured I have taken your comments onboard and will make contact with my team.
I can assure that the issues you were experiencing are now resolved.
Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback and I do hope we are able to welcome you back to the Corus Hyde Park London in the future.

Operations Manager

Been to Corus Hotel Hyde Park London? Share your experiences!