“'Alice in wonderland' feeling” 4 of 5 stars
Review of No. 5 Maddox Street

You added No. 5 Maddox Street to your Saves list
No. 5 Maddox Street
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5 Maddox Street | Mayfair, London W1S 2QD, England (Mayfair)   |
Ranked #247 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Brussels
“'Alice in wonderland' feeling”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

Once arrived at number 5, you'll find a tiny door bringing you to the private doorbel. Staff came directly downstairs to help me with my suitcase. This frriendly staff member checked me in in a very short time. I got the suite on the first floor. Although travelling alone for business reasons, i found myself rather in a luxury appartment, 3 spacious bedrooms, 1 bathroom with shower, 1 bathroom with tub, 4 flat tv's, a diningroom, a livingroom, a kitchen with island and a small private terrace. Member of staff did not show me around in the suite. All rooms had an enjoyable temperature with the airconditioning working. I opened a window in the dining area, but unfortunately couldn't close it anymore. The next day, window was not fixed. But this could not spoil this great hotel/club. I felt more being in an aparthotel. I wanted to eat something in the early evening, but the housemenu was unfortunately only available until 4.00pm.
I can recomment this hotel and when checking out, staff swas extremely friendly and helpfull. I always used to stay at the Westburry, but honestly, this one is my favourite. With the location next to new bond street and regent street, it could not be better.

• Stayed June 2011
ChrisMulvee, General Manager at No. 5 Maddox Street, responded to this review, June 22, 2011
Dear SValkenborg,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Trip Advisor. We are very pleased that you found our staff helpful and friendly, and our rooms satisfactory to your standard.
I am very disappointed to hear that you were not shown around your room and have reiterated our check in policy to the staff involved.
I am also sorry to hear that you were unable to order room service at 4pm. Although our House Lunch Menu ends at 4pm, we work closely with a delivery service providing excellent food from a wealth of local restaurants with extended opening hours as an alternative to our House Menu.

Once again, I thank you for your valued feedback and hope to see you again in the future.

Kind regards

Chris Mulvee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2011

We tried to like this hotel, and the staff really tried to please, but we found too many negatives to this property and won't be back.

The biggest problem was the noise at night. I saw other reviewers note this, but we were already booked into this hotel and I didn't have time to look for alternate accommodations. Each of the three nights we stayed there, we were awakened in the middle of the night by people laughing and talking loudly, apparently coming home from pubs or bars. One night a couple stood out on the street laughing and talking loudly for about 15 minutes. I seriously wanted to yell out the window to shut up.

We stayed in two different rooms b/c we stayed at the hotel at the beginning and end of our vacation, and in one bedroom, they actually added another sliding glass window in front of the existing window. It didn't do any good.

The shower stall was stupidly small. There was no way to reach in and turn it on without spraying your arm with cold water. The glass pocket doors were hard to slide shut. The shower head was one of those big rain shower heads, which are nice, but b/c the shower stall was so small, there was nowhere to go to get out from being underneath the water. Made for a quick uncomfortable shower. Shave your legs? Don't even think about it!

The bed was also weirdly short. I'm 5'4" and my feet hung off the end.

They had a welcome basket each day in the room with four nectarines, but they were too hard and too unripe to eat.

The bread/pastry basket they delivered Sunday morning was delicious. There also was coffee and a french press in the little kitchen in the room, and it was delicious. A little carton of milk was provided in the frig, which was a nice and unique touch.

The internet access was awful. It kept kicking me off. They told me it was going to cost 15 Euros per day but I refused to pay it and they didn't charge me b/c of the bad connection.

They don't have a restaurant on the property so we ate at the Thai restaurant right next door and it was just so so. I loved the Pret a Manger around the corner!

Finally, I have a bad allergy to dust mites, and this place was really dusty. (Usually places with hard wood floors like this one are best for me, but it didn't work here.) The couch was pretty old (which means full of dust) and it had a lot of pillows that were also dusty. I couldn't sit on the couch without a reaction. Non-allergy sufferers probably wouldn't notice this, but it was a big problem for me.

All in all, we will pass on this hotel in the future. Happy travels!

Room Tip: No elevator, so choose room accordingly.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
ChrisMulvee, General Manager at No. 5 Maddox Street, responded to this review, June 14, 2011
Dear fun_city,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay with us although, naturally, I am disappointed to read that you did not have a thoroughly enjoyable experience. We acknowledge each of your valued comments and I can assure you that we would have done everything in our power to remedy any issues, had we been notified sooner.

I’m sorry that you witnessed disturbance from people in the street below your room. As you mentioned, we have added secondary glazing to our front facing bedrooms in order to reduce the impact of all noise. Despite our best efforts, due to our central location just off Regent Street, we are unable to prevent street level noise all of the time. If Reception had been notified at the time, the concierge could have investigated and resolved the situation more satisfactorily.

We take on board your comments regarding both the shower and the bed, and while both are standard in size, we are looking into ways in which improvements can be made. I also apologise that you experienced problems with your internet connection, I can assure you that any connection issues have since been rectified.

Lastly, I am extremely concerned that you found your suite to be dusty. Our standards of cleanliness are of particular note and all suites are thoroughly cleaned daily with a full linen change, unless otherwise requested. We also conduct weekly deep cleaning of furniture and soft furnishings and the suites are furnished with allergy sufferers in mind, hence the bamboo flooring. I would appreciate if you would contact me directly, in order to discuss this further, as we endeavour to ensure that our impeccably high standards of cleanliness are maintained for all guests and for allergy sufferers in particular. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated in this matter.

Thank you once again for your valued feedback.

Kind regards,

Chris Mulvee

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2011

This hotel felt like a business apartment rental from eastern Europe (or Japan in terms of bathroom size). If I needed to stay in London for a while, this would be a great choice with it's kitchen and living room. The staff was very helpful.

The reasons I probably won't return: tiny shower and my room smelled of smoke wither from a neighboring room or the last guest.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

Stayed one night in an executive suite and would recommend it! But don't make the mistake I did of wanting a high floor unless you've got stamina as there's no lift!
The lounge is spacious and the kitchen is really, really well equipped with everything you could want. The aircon unit is in the lounge so you need to leave the doors open between rooms to get the cool air in the bedroom. The bathroom in the exec suites is quite small and in our room was mainly taken up by a large hot water tank meaning the shower was a tiny dark cubicle but the REN toiletries were lovely!
The bedroom was really small and you couldn't open the drawers because the bed was in the way (and it was only a small double) but it was fine for our one night stay. There were loads of details of local restaurants, bars, sightseeing etc and the staff provided a lovely welcome tray with fresh coffee/milk/chocolate and fruit.
It would have been nice if they'd noted in our booking requests that it was our 10 year anniversary and mentioned it in their personalised welcome note etc but then that's just a step too far I guess!!
All in all a lovely stay and would recommend but probably only book an executive room if you're on your own or for a one night stay, otherwise go for something larger.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

This Hotel has a very strict 'no refund' policy so be careful before making a booking. My husband and I stayed in this Hotel for what should have been 6 nights but we left after 4, despite knowing we would not be getting any refund for the nights lost (which is actually very unusual, you would generally not be penalised the entire stay fee for leaving Hotel after you had actually made a effort to stay there.) Let me start by saying that the staff were wonderful and very attentive. The rooms were also very clean. If that it what is important to you, then by all means, stay at this Hotel. However, there are other issues that made my stay here very unpleasant.
Firstly, when we arrived I discovered that there is no elevator in this Hotel. This was not mentioned anywhere I that I looked on the website. Having gone back to the website after returning home, I found the only place it is mentioned is if you look at one of the Loft rooms, which we did not. So we had to walk up four flights of stairs every time we went into our room. Also, you have to be let in to the Hotel. You are not given a code for the door, you have to ring the bell to be let in. I found this really annoying. I understand the whole security issue, but surely they can give their guests an access code for the door without having to wait to be let in every time.
The rooms, as I mentioned are clean. We stayed in a suite that was, according to the website, the size of two of the other rooms put together. I can't imagine how small the other rooms must be! The bedroom was spacious enough and well decorated. The kitchen is very small, but that was ok, not like we were going to have dinner parties while we were there. The lounge area is small. Another issue here being that the TV which is practically on the floor so you have to crank your neck down from the pretty uncomfortable couch to watch it. There was a fireplace in the lounge but you are not allowed to turn it on yourself. Apparently a safety issue. You have to call downstairs and get someone to come and turn it on for you. We did not bother using it as a result. The last thing I want when staying in a hotel is having to get staff to come into my room. The biggest issue with the room was the 'bathroom'. I would not call this a bathroom, I would call this a cupboard with a shower in it. You have to shower with the doors open if you actually want to have any space. I don't know how my husband, who is taller than I am managed to use it. Also, another safety issue (so they said) is you cannot use the hair dryer while inside the 'shower cupboard', probably because it is so small they are afraid you will electrocute yourself. There is also a balcony in this room, but don't think you can actually use it. It is locked and you are not given a key. It just looks onto the back of other buildings where workers stare into your room from their office kitchens, very unpleasant. We kept our curtains closed.
By far the biggest issue was the noise. The front room sounded like it was out in the open! The windows do not close properly and the noise (and the freezing cold) come streaming into the room. This Hotel is in a very busy location and the noise is constant and loud. Also, there is a lot of noise from inside the Hotel and the surrounding buildings. I don't think there is any noise proofing at all. When in the bedroom you can hear every single person that goes up and down the stairs, you can hear people walking around rooms and furniture scraping along the floor when people get in and out of chairs. It was constant and frustrating.
Overall, I certainly did not find this a relaxing or enjoyable experience in what is a very pricey Hotel. If noise and privacy are not an issue for you, then by all means, stay here (remembering you wont get any of your money back if you change your mind), but I will not be returning to this Hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

As a birthday surprise i was taken to stay at no.5 and what a treat that was! This little hidden hotel was wonderful. If you like a private style setting then is is the hotel for you, i found it perfectly located within the hustle and bustle of busy Oxford Street in London and it was great to come back after a long days shopping to a quiet, calm hotel. The interior of the room was stylish and well kept and a substantial size, give the fact that you have a kitchen, living area, bathroom and large bedroom all within your room! Great shower aswell! The warm cosy fire was a perfect touch when you have been out in the cold all day. Staff were polite and attentive and check in was a breeze. My whole stay was excellent, i only wish i could have stayed longer!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

Stayed here for a night in December and would hIghly recommend the hotel! The staff were very friendly and welcoming and the room was spotless. When we arrived we were directed to our room which was very well equippped and spacious. You definitely get what you pay for at this hotel and I look forward to the next visit!!

Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends

Been to No. 5 Maddox Street? Share your experiences!