I was going to book the number one ranked hotel on Tripadvisor, but it seemed that the County Hall had the best picturesque view (Big Ben/Parliment). I booked a river side view via Marriot's reservation office for roughly 182 gbp plus vat. When arrived hours before check in because our driver waned to drop the bags off and make sure they knew we were here. The bag porters quickly came to the car and opened the doors to the car and had the bags out. We went to the front desk and told them our name. To our surprise the room was ready to go. The hotel reservations guy had asked if we wanted an upgrade or to be offered an upgrade and I said yes that would be great. When i mentioned it to the desk lady she looked at me like I had just insulted her so I didn't press any further. She didn't talk with any sort of warmth in her voice or happiness so that was a bit dissappointing. The baggage ported took our uggage and us to the room. He should us were the hotel bar and resturant were located on the way over and also tol us what floor the pool and spa were located. Our room was nice with a king size bed and a large marble bathroom with a very deep tub. A couple of things that disappointed me about the room
1. The room was on a corner so you had a partial view of the river and you could not see Big Ben, but you could partially see the parliment building.
2. The tv was like 15 inch standard tube TV. With a hotel this nice you would expect flat panel TVs at least. Also the distance between the tv and the bed(more than six feet) made the tv look like a 10inch.
3. If it is windy in London like it was when I went you may want to change rooms. Maybe becuase it was on the corner, but you would hear the wind howling outside the room, but once outside you didn't hear any howling.
4. We ate at the hotel around 12:00am because we turned the wrong way on whitehall and could not find anything open that looked decent. We walked into the hotel bar/ resturant and they said they could offer sadnwiches which was not a problem. They served the drinks and the menus promptly, but that is where the promptness ended. I had to signal the waiter over just to get the glasses filled and only one time did some say that our food was one the way. It took about 1 hour to serve a club sandwich and a steak sandwhich with chips. When I signaled for the waiter again to fill our water glasses I quess the manager had walked in and looked like he was upset I had to do that.
Now for the good things
1. The bed was maybe the best thing I have ever slept in and with the down filled comforter was nice considering the cold weather. Also loved the Six pillows.
2. Bathroom was large and bright. The water pressure was great and the aromatherapy toiletries were very nice.
3. The hotel is stunning and you cannot walk in the hotel without the staff saying hello or trying to help you with finding something.
4. The location is very central and not far from the subway, and it looked like the double decker tour bus stops in front. Westminster abbey is just across the bridge and the London eye is just behind the hotel.
In conclusion I would have to stay at other Hotels in London, just to make a comparison. The service was nice, but at times disappointing and looking back I never felt really welcome. I will say I only spoke to one English person there which was the manager, but everyone else was Eastern European and seemed nice enough not get in trouble with the managment. For the price I would have to give it Average rating. If it was slightly cheaper I would give it an Above average rating. I feel like there are ways for people to feel more welcome that does not cost the hotel any monies.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott London County Hall Hotel
- Marriott London County Hall Hotel London
- Marriott London
- London Marriott
- Marriott London County Hall England
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Six-story Hotel housed in a traditional building dating from 1922 & retaining original wood paneling & marble fireplaces. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Marriott, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Tingo, getaroom.com, Otel and Venere so you can book your Marriott London County Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.