“Great Hotel, Convenient Location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure London Paddington Hotel

You added Mercure London Paddington Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure London Paddington Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   144 Praed Street | Paddington, London W2 1HU, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #529 of 1,066 Hotels in London

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
New Ulm, Minnesota
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

My family stayed April 25-28, 2014. The hotel facilities are nice. The rooms are comfortable, and the location right next to Paddington Station is great.

With that being said, dealing with the hotel staff and the parent company concerning being charged twice for our room and getting the second charge refunded was enough to make me steer clear of Mercure altogether, and to strongly recommend that people avoid Mercure and the group of hotels in London that Mercure London Paddington belongs to.

When I made the reservation back in January, I prepaid the entire stay. On arrival, I did not have the credit card with which I had prepaid the stay because I was pickpocketed earlier that day, before we left for London. On check in, per hotel policy, we were told that we needed to pay with a different card (even though the room was already paid in full), and the amount we prepaid would be refunded to the original card in 1-3 business days. No problem.

When we checked out Monday morning we were told that if we had given them proof that we prepaid the stay, they could have avoided charging our second card, but that it was too late now and the charge for the stay was applied to the second card, and we had at that point been charged twice for the stay. We were reassured that we would get the refund to the original card in 1-3 business days.

I called back on Friday, May 2nd to let them know that we had not received the refund yet. I spoke with Larissa, and she told me that it would actually take 7-10 business days for the refund, and to call back next week.

I called back on May 9th, and spoke with Larissa again. She said she was handling this personally, and that I should call her back later the next week and she would have more information.

I called back after a week (May 19th I think), Larissa was not in, so I left her a message with my contact information letting her know that I filed a claim with my bank regarding this matter, and to please contact me by email so I don’t have to keep making international calls to the UK.

After two days of no reply, I called back on May 21st, spoke again with Larissa. She said that she was waiting for me to call her back, and she said that I was approved to receive my refund and will receive it on Monday, May 26th. She also said if I don’t have it by then, I should call her back and let her know.

As of May 27th I still had not received a refund from the hotel. I called the hotel, and Larissa transferred me to Artis. My understanding is that Artis is in the accounting department for that group of hotels in London. He said that the reason for the delay was that my bank must be “holding the refund for some reason” because it was processed on May 22nd. I asked for an absolute final date that the refund should appear in my account, Artis said May 30th.

May 30th came, and by the end of the day, no refund. I called the bank to verify whether or not a refund attempt had been made, and it had not, so I called the hotel. The hotel transferred me to Stefan in reservations. Stefan said that the refund was processed on May 22nd, so I should call back next week. I told him that I every time I call and speak with someone they tell me to call back next week. He then said that there was a bank holiday on the 25th that could be the cause for the delay.

I asked Stefan what the next step up the hierarchy is since I am not satisfied with constantly being told to “call back next week”. He said he wouldn’t tell me, but offered to take my contact information. I told him the hotel has my contact information, but no one contacts me, they always wait for me to contact them. I am tired of making international phone calls because they won’t email or call me.

He then said that since the hotel is in the UK and my bank account is in the US, the refund would take longer. I asked him why the charge can be made so quickly and easily, but the refund takes over a month. He told me to call back next week. I verified his name and the department he worked in and told him that I am drafting a review for Trip Advisor and Booking.com to let people know what I have had to go through to get my refund, at that point Stefan hung up on me.

As I wrote at the beginning of the review, the hotel itself is nice, but my experience dealing with the staff has been incredibly frustrating, and not only the hotel staff, but the people in accounting and reservations of the parent group. I find the way they have handled my case completely unacceptable. For them to keep passing me along to another person, never having firm answers, and keep telling me to call back next week, and finally hanging up on me, I would strongly caution anyone to think twice before booking a room with this hotel group.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Kandern, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

Excellent time at the Mercure. Across the street from the Paddington Train station--so convenient coming from Heathrow. Only had to roll our suitcases a short distance. Very helpful staff. Weronika, one of the desk clerks went out of her way to help me print my boarding pass. Other staff just as gracious with helping store our bags for the day and answering travel questions. I would return here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review,

We are delighted that you have spent an excellent time at our hotel Mercure Paddington,

And our team are very happy to read your comment especially Weronika and we are sending you back a massive thank you from all the team.

We do look forward to welcome you back at our hotel.

Kindest regards

Basem Mohamed

Front office Manager
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2014

This being our 4 th stay and bring my parents to London we stayed again, we did have a few problems to start, as we booked 2 rooms we only were only given a card key for 1 room and we booked breakfast in with the stay and that wasnt included. After speaking to the duty manager everything was sorted. We had a fab stay. we have also booked for 1 week in september . look forward in seeing you all again.
many thanks

Room Tip: we love room 412
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Linforth, Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay.

We are grateful for your positive comments and look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions.

Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

Having a day to wait for a flight, we discovered that rooms are available for day stay only and so we booked easily on line for the Mercure. We arrived in the morning and were given a very small standard double but this was fine as we were not sleeping over. They did attempt to give us a larger room but none available. Although tiny, it was clean, had tea and coffee making facilities and although small, a clean and adequately equipped bathroom. We stayed for the day until leaving at 6pm to catch the Heathrow Express, which is an easy walk even with a lot of luggage. The staff were helpful and pleasant and at a very reasonable price, we were able to rest, shower and move on with our travels. A great opportunity for people who are flying out late and need the use of a room for a day at a very reasonable price and a top location.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear Mumanddaughter08,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay with us. We are grateful for your positive comments. Indeed our location is second to none, in Central London and with great transport links to Heathrow Airport.
We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back next time you are in London, be it for a day stay or an overnight one.

Hong Kong, China
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

I recently booked a stay at the Mercure for 1 night after travelling across the country before flying from Heathrow the next day.

My reasoning was that the close proximity to Paddington would ensure I would not need to drag my suitcases very far and I could just hop onto the Heathrow express the next day. In this respect, I was not wrong.

Upon arriving at the Mercure, my check-in was processed efficiently and I was granted my late check-out request to 12 noon (Still a little mean in my opinion but pretty standard in the UK, I guess).

That was where the positives ended.

In anticipation of my shifting time zones days to come, it was necessary for me to sleep late and wake up as late as possible (around 11:30am).

Unfortunately, my well laid plans were foiled by housekeeping when they decided to enter my room at 9:00am. After realising I was still in the room, they issued a startled apology and left me alone.

However, they then entered my room AGAIN an hour later, waking me up again and ensuring my plan for a nice block of sleep was well and truly ruined.

Needless to say, this startling lack of communication or procedures put me in a bad mood to add to the tiredness.

When I mentioned this to the front desk upon check out, they apologised but then asked If I had the "do-not-disturb" sign displayed. I did not, but the point is I shouldn't have to.

On retrospect, if I had known that a supposedly good hotel was incapable of devising a procedure where guests rooms are not cleaned until after they have checked out on check-out day, I would have done.

It is only because of my experience at nearly every other hotel on earth that I have visited where this was not required, that I did not do so.

If management are incapable of coming up with a procedure or a process to avoid this type of situation in the future, I would be happy to share my ideas with them (Hint: print a list of rooms that are checking out that day and provide to housekeeping. Housekeeping does not enter those rooms until the front desk tells them they've checked out - yes, it's that simple).

I realise this review may seem harsh but being woken up not once but twice by housekeeping and then having the front desk imply that it was my fault left a bad taste in my mouth and ensures I won't be staying here again, despite the great location.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Paddington Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Robert G,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure London Paddington and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

Very helpful staff!

Great location – just between the Paddington train station (airport train from Heathrow, subway) and St. Mary’s hospital (where both penicillin and heroin were discovered!:))). If one doesn’t mind longer straws, it is possible to take a walk around the Hyde Park and even up to the Westminster area (and get back by subway). Micky’s Fish Bar providing unbelievable Cod fish and chips is just ‘across the corner’!!!

Fine breakfasts provided in hotel’s Garfunkel’s restaurant (especially the brakfast course called by the restaurant itself - 'Garfunkel's' - was delicious).

The only major flaw was the room – it was clean, but also ridiculously tiny, reminded me of my ‘dorm’ times.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dalibor H,

Hotel Manager

Been to Mercure London Paddington Hotel? Share your experiences!