“Not bad :)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hyde Park West

We can't find prices for this hotel
Hyde Park West
You added Hyde Park West to your Saves list
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   25-26 Pembridge Square, London W2 4DR, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #976 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Nantes, France
“Not bad :)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2006

OK The first thing you'll notice is its not the Ritz .. but at the price you're paying in london in a great location its not that bad.

Its not the cleanest place in the world (bit of mould in places ... carpets a bit worn in places ... wallpaper peeling a bit) but over all it suited its purpose it was a bed at night and we had our own toilet / shower and could leave our stuff during the day, also a small portable tv in the room, not great sellings points for a lot of people but for us it was grand. The double bed was against a wall so slightly inconvient the bed covers weren't the greatest either and the room was small enough. We were staying on the First floor

I wouldn't really recommend it to a family with young children but if you're willing to rough it a little bit at a cheap enough price go for it. The continental breakfast was basic fare but eat as much as you want (saves you a good bit given that london isn't the cheapest of places). There was a kettle / instant coffee / tea in the room.

The staff were generally friendly :). As to the Noise level well its not the quietest of places but it also wasn't that loud ... its in a relatively quiet upmarket area so traffic noise is at a minimum at night. I would say if you had noisey neighbours in the rooms next door to you you'd probably be able to hear a bit too much from them.

To put my review in perspective ... I've stayed in a few 5 star hotels before and this isn't one of them ... it'd be a low end two star I would guess but overall I was quite happy with my stay and I'd give the place maybe a 6 / 10 for what it is :) Budget Accommodation close to the heart of london (lets face it london is quite expensive). You're about 3 minutes from a tube station by foot.

Hopefully this review is a help to others as I've seen some recent reviews here slating the place and had actually become a bit worried before heading over to london and staying there.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Wasn't the cleanest and the bed sheets could have been larger
  • Tips/Secrets — Be aware it is budget accommodation
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2006

what an absolute disaster. My husband and I booked a single night before a tour then 4 nights after the tour. The manager was rude- unhelpful and couldnt care less. Our room was the size of a match box and not as clean. The window wouldnt close. The
water from the shower wouldnt drain away. We reported this and reception said. I dont care- flood the room. Breakfast was a joke. After really causing a stir they finally moved up to the sister Hotel-Dont even consider this place. Its the biggest dump in London.
They lock you out at 10.00pm. Sleep in the street if the Hyde Park west is all thats available

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — the rooms - the staff- the breakfast - the atmosphere -
  • Tips/Secrets — DONT TOUCH THIS PLACE
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Oceanside, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2006

I booked a five day stay through TravelStay.com. I paid 40.22 pounds directly to them and had to pay the entire 213.28 pounds
upon arrival. I arrived around 12:30p.m. after flying in from San Diego and was told to come back at 2:00p.m. to check in. My room was just around the corner from the reception desk and it was noisey, doors slamming, loud talking, etc. Fortunately I'm used to wearing ear plugs so I was able to sleep. Oh, the bed, I thought they'd made a mistake and left box springs instead of a mattress and it listed to the starboard side which put you in prime viewing position of the TV which was now a foot from my nose. Microscopic describes the room, miniature bathroom and the shower was laughable. Luckily I didn't find any bugs in the bed and the room was given a quick onceover each day, the bathroom towel was replaced and occasionally a new bar of soap from a dollhouse was left. The general state of the hotel reminds me of the movie "Whatever happened to Baby Jane".
Hotel motto: You couldn't do worse!

• Liked — Checking out
  • Disliked — Terrible bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — Look at TripAdvisor reviews before booking
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Stockholm
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2006

Hotels in London are expensive. So you think you can save a couple of Pounds...?! Think again.

Stay alive instead, snåljåp!

Do not stay here!

Stayed May 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2006

This dump should be condemned. Everything is filthy and falling apart. The front steps are crumbling and the carpet and furniture are held together with duct tape. The sagging, rotten beds are full of holes. Our window was broken and held together with masking tape. The TV didn't work and we were promised a replacement which never came. The bathroom reeked of urine. I was led to believe that breakfast was included, but after having a glass of juice, cup of crappy coffee and a dried-up croissant I was given a bill for eight pounds! The staff was rude, belligerent, discourteous and barely spoke English. The building hasn't seen a paintbrush in years. This once grand structure deserves far better than the money -- that currently own and operate what is laughingly called a hotel.

• Stayed June 2006
Finland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2006

Me and my wife spent two (!) nights in this miserable rathole. It´s really falling apart, pitholes on the floor are covered with worn-out rugs, our "room" was in the cellar, next to breakfast room - and it smells like a week-old meat in the sunshine with millions of flies on it. Room corners were covered with spidernets, window could not opened, shower was clocced (until I opened it). We though that we are in Candid Camera when the flegmatic clerck told us to go downstairs to a really maze and find our cell. Take our warning seriously: Don´t go in to this place, a night on a park bench is better alternative.

Finally, when we were checking out, the man behind desk got nerves to beg us pay our breakfasts, they do not include via internet booked room rate. 16 Sterling Pounds for four portions of rubber-like croissants (no toast) and poor coffee is a robbery!

Markku and Leena

• Stayed June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2006

My boyfriend and I wanted budget accommodation in London for one night, and as a hostel was going to be about the same price as a hotel we decided to go for the hotel option. WHile we knew we wouldn't be staying in the ritz this was just the PITS!!! The place is falling down, it stinks like mould and who knows what else.It is just revolting! So in summary my best advice is Don't go there!!!!

Stayed June 2006

Been to Hyde Park West? Share your experiences!