“My Experience at the IC London Park Lane” 4 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental London Park Lane

You added InterContinental London Park Lane to your Saves list
InterContinental London Park Lane
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One Hamilton Place | Park Lane, London W1J 7QY, England (Mayfair)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #117 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cincinnati, OH
“My Experience at the IC London Park Lane”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

There are over 1000 reviews of the IC London Park Lane on TripAdvisor. I have found most of them to have helpful and accurate information. Below are a few notes from my personal experience there.

Our American group was venturing to London for the first time. We spent 6 nights at the IC London Park Lane and were visiting London for the NFL game. I believe a business traveler that could expense items would have a different perspective on some issues.

LOCATION: We loved the Mayfair area of London. We walked around it every day and most evenings. There are a variety of shops, cafes and sights to take in. Also, Shepherd's Square is definitely worth checking out. It is a collections of shops pubs and restaurants with lots of activity and a variety of cuisine. Hyde Park is nearby, as is the Underground. We walked to Buckingham Palace and a few other points of interest.

CHECK-IN - Check-in is at 3pm. Therefore, it was no surprise that neither of our 2 rooms was ready when we arrived at 10:30am. The gentleman that checked us in gave us a brief tour of the Ground Level and showed where we could get food and drinks. He was very helpful and courteous. Our first room was ready around 2pm and they did call us promptly to inform us of its availability. Our second room was not ready until 4pm and we did not receive a call regarding that room, we had to follow-up.

ROOMS - We had 2 different style of rooms. One was an even-numbered room that faced the park. It was the larger of the 2 rooms and had a slightly nicer shower. Both rooms were larger than what a "standard" European room would be considered. The beds were King sized and extremely comfortable. Ironing board/Iron, safe and mini-bar were present as well. Overall, the rooms were very satisfactory.

STAFF - IC London Park Lane Staff seems to provide the biggest range of reviews on TripAdvisor. Our experience mirrors this. We had some exceptionally positive experiences with staff. Doormen, check-in staff and a couple of the waiters/waitresses were awesome. We also had some interactions with staff that left a little to be desired. We did not have any outright negative experiences with staff and as noted, English is not everyone's first language at the hotel. However, that in itself is not a negative. The biggest issue we had with staff came in regards to delivering messages. On 2 separate occasions I left notes or messages to be delivered to guests upon their check-in and neither message was delivered. This is not something you would expect to experience at a 5 star hotel.

FOOD/DRINK - Drinks and food are very expensive at this hotel. The cocktails are good but you will pay a pretty pence for them. I did not eat room service but we did have some bites in the bar and they were all tasty. We also had a dinner at Theo Randall's, which is located in the hotel. I have to be honest and say I didn't know who Theo Randall was but I can say he runs a nice restaurant. The food was delicious and Chef Theo even came out and spoke with us for several minutes, which was very cool. We did not dine at any other high end restaurants during our stay, so I cannot compare.

MISC. - No free Wi-Fi. We opted for the 3-day pass for 35 pounds. You can use up to 3 devices with each "pass". We stored our bags with the bell hop when our rooms were not ready and there were no issues with that. There is no pool. I used the business center once to print documents.

OVERALL - We had a very good stay at the InterContinental London Park Lane. If you are a business traveler and you can expense things like the wi-fi charge and some of your meals, it's probably a fantastic hotel. As a vacation traveler, I would give the hotel a 8/10. The good experiences with the staff outweighs the bad experiences and the super-comfy beds were definitely a big bonus.

Room Tip: From what I can gather, Even numbered rooms have a view of the exterior/park. Odd numbered rooms ha...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Caroline J, Manager at InterContinental London Park Lane, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear LeBeauBG

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior. I am sorry for the problems you encountered at check in and with the messages delivery. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had. Be assured that this is not indicative of our usual standards. We appreciate your valuable feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services and your comments has been shared with the Department Heads.

Kind Regards,

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Once the flagship of the chain this hotel is sinking in a ghastly sea of chaos, bad management and underinvestment. I have stayed dozens of times at this hotel since 1995 and this last visit will be the last. I have rated it 5 stars in the past and I am being generous in giving it two this time.
There are plenty of staff, in fact there were 6 in the foyer when we tried to check in, but only one behind the check in desk. There were people asking me what I wanted when it was obvious that myself and my partner plus the other 6 people waiting with baggage mid afternoon wanted to check in. And this was after trying to decipher what the staff were saying as their English was so poor. No platinum welcome or room gift. No double bed as per my requests. Finally when I got through to the switch to ask for a room change I was greeted with the hotel is overbooked. Not my problem but made it sound like it was. The usual garbage that you would expect about we have upgraded your room which was actually the standard size. Had to open the window to the noise as the air freshener used was so overpowering. The hotel is now staffed by untrained people, most of which have poor spoken English, from the door foyer staff to the check in to the restaurant staff. The rooms are tatty and need updating, they have not been touched for years. It will keep the 5 stars on staff numbers not performance. Overpriced and hopeless. Really sorry to see and wasted a good weekend. Never again....

Room Tip: Don't go
Dear Travelsalotuk

We appreciate that you took the time to review our hotel again. We welcome feedback especially from our valued guests like you. We strive everyday to create special experiences to our guests and I am truly sorry we did not manage this for your stay. I would like to apologise for the shortcomings that you have encountered with regards to your Platinum Member privileges. Please be assured that this is not indicative of our usual standards. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We will address these points and I hope when you return you will see the improvements made.

Warm wishes

DIrector of Rooms
Lausanne, Switzerland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

The hotel has a great location, however services in general are slow or wrong...

At checkout the agent asked me to settle the "Pay TV" consumption. I asked at her at which I supposedly used Pay TV. Turns out that at the time of activation I was having dinner with my friend in a restaurant far away from the Hotel.

Who was in my room to watch Pay TV? and what else did they do in my room?

Room Tip: All rooms are very small, so whatever price you pay it is too expensive...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Caroline J, Manager at InterContinental London Park Lane, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear ExploreBeyond,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are happy you liked the location, however, I am very sorry all the shortcomings that you have experienced regarding the TV. The error could had been caused by the system failure and I sincerely apologise for this misunderstanding. Please be assured that nobody have been to your room apart of room attendant for regular service.

We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm wishes,
United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

$25USD for a cocktail?!? Ah, but not just any cocktail, the Cayenne pepper Margarita isn't playing fair...sublime. After two of them, I melted into the warm inviting lobby bar chair, completely relaxed and ready to face the throngs of tourists on Oxford Street.

Room was large and quiet, housekeeping invisible but impeccable. Staff attentive, but not intrusive; one of the best places to stay while in London.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear fozziedoggie,

Thank you for your positive comments about your recent stay at the hotel. It is comments like these that enable us to motivate our team to achieve greater hights.

Thank you once again.

Kind Regards,
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Stayed here for two nights at the beginning of September courtesy of two free nights owed to me on the black Priorityclub credit card. Beautiful reception area. Check in staff were efficient although our room wasn't available on our arrival - receptionist advised we should take a seat in the lounge and she would come over and advise us when the room was ready ( 30 mins approx). After 40 minutes went back to the reception to find that the receptionist had gone on her break and our room was indeed ready.

Although our room was spotless and nice it was a little bit old fashioned we thought. Bed was really comfortable and bathroom was what you' d expect

Drinks at the bar were as we thought extremely expensive - I asked for a beer and a small glass
of Pinot Grigiot - the beer was a small bottle of Heineken. Beer was £7 and wine was £11 - I was also charged £2 service charge even though we were sitting on stools at the bar.

We ate that night in the Cookbook Cafe whichever I shall review separately.

To sum up a lovely,though expensive hotel .

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Caroline J, Manager at InterContinental London Park Lane, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Daytona99

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with detailed feedback following your stay in September. Please accept our apologies for the miscommunication from the Reception team. We highly appreciate our guests’ comments as they help us to improve our service, ensuring that we deliver an experience in line with our guests’ expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013 via mobile

A very luxury spa! I visited with my partner for a spa day for two. We had a massage, dry floatation treatment and used the spa temple. Couldn't have asked for more. It was very romantic. Service was excellent. Better than I expected and worth the money

• Stayed May 2013
Dear SashaRed

Thank you for your kind comments about Spa InterContinental. I hope you will visit InterContinental London Park Lane again and enjoy other facilities of the hotel as well.

Kind Regards
Caroline Jillings,
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

We came from Paris with the Eurostar to London and reached the hotel very easy by the public transport (Located directly at Hyde Park Corner Station). They upgraded us to a room on the 8th floor facing the Wellington Arch which has the same view as the fabulous Clublounge. I was worried about the noise of the streets but we could not hear anything and had silent nights in a nice room. All staff is very helpful and courteous and made our stay enjoyable. Special thanks to Christian in the Club Lounge, who made our stay unique.
We walked Hyde park at different times of the day for about 5-10 km (all on different ways), and it is very nice. Worth it to see all the walking dogs, exercising, gardens, horse riders, feeding swans, etc. I highly recommend crossing the street from the hotel, and exploring the hyde park (which is very friendly and clean).
We enjoyed our visit much more because of the hotel's location and atmosphere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Caroline J, Manager at InterContinental London Park Lane, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear europetraveler547,

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted that you found the hotel suited for your needs. Hyde Park is a wonderful place to enjoy especially on a sunny day.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards

Director of Rooms

Been to InterContinental London Park Lane? Share your experiences!