“Horrible Service!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of InterContinental London Park Lane

Save Saved
You added InterContinental London Park Lane to your Saves list
InterContinental London Park Lane
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   One Hamilton Place | Park Lane, London W1J 7QY, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #115 of 1,075 hotels in London
Bristol, England
“Horrible Service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2008

My boyfriend and I really enjoyed our first stay at the hotel a couple of months ago and decided to stay there again this time around.

The bad stuff:
-Doormen stood and watched me carry my own luggage. No offer to help at all. No 'Good Morning' or 'Welcome to Intercontinental'.

-When we were going out in the evening, there were no doormen at all and no taxis although we waited 15mins. We had to walk up the road to catch a taxi.

-We had a drink at the bar with a couple of friends and no one served us for 20mins and by the time our drinks came, we were told that the bar was closed. Didn't tip the waitress for her lousy service and didn't receive my change! She conveniently pocketed it.

-No bedroom slippers and it was a deluxe room.

-Ordered breakfast to the room (too late to have breakfast downstairs) and the toast was BLACK. On both sides. Not brown, all black. Granola tasted like styrofoam and the rest of the food was just mediocre.

I emailed the hotel management twice with my complains and still have yet to hear from them. It's been three weeks since!

Don't think I will be staying here anytime soon. Not worth the money!

• Disliked — Service!
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

1,362 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2008

I have recently returned from a two night weekend stay at the Intercontinental Hotel in London, Park Lane. The hotel is very easy to find and is a short walk from Hyde Park Corner tube station.

I had booked a Royal Park Executive room and at check-in I was upgraded to a Studio Suite which was a great touch as I am a platinum elite and Intercontinental Ambassador member of priority club.

The studio suite was excellent and had two twin beds, Marble entrance hall, and large seating area with views across the London parks, Bose Sound System and B and O flat screen television. The bathroom was just beautiful with large tub and separate rain shower and of course, Elemis amenities. I also had a lovely letter from the Hotel Manager welcoming me to the hotel, together with welcome treatment consisting of water, fruit basket and a birthday cake as I was celebrating my 30th birthday.

I also had access to the IC club lounge for a daily charge of £80 which was well worth the cost. The lounge offers complimentary internet access with three public computers for the sole use of club guests. Refreshments and snacks are available throughout the day. Mid afternoon tea, sandwiches and scones are served and in the evening a small selection of canapés. A self service cocktail bar is available with unlimited champagne, spirits, wine and beer in the evening. The IC lounge has separate seating areas, dining area, magazines and newspapers and offers tremendous views across London.

Breakfast was also provided in the lounge for Club guests. The breakfast was excellent including cold and warm choice and was served until 11am.

I did encounter a couple of service problems during my stay. On one of the mornings my newspaper was not delivered. The same morning my friends cooked breakfast that he ordered was forgotten. On the second morning the breakfast buffet was cleared away whilst still eating and we were never asked if we would like anything else. The turndown service on both evenings was hit and miss. Shoes that had been handed to staff for cleaning were not returned the next morning. Our issues were resolved by a very effective management team.

Overall I had a great stay at the Intercontinental London, Park lane and loved the Club level service.

• Liked — Loved the Studio Suite and Club Lounge
  • Disliked — -
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2008

Myself and my fionsee stayed here for one night on NYE, although it was expensive, £203, then £245 inc tax, Id definately say this was a 5 star experience, upon arrival we were greeted by the Manager who was very chatty and helpful, the foyer was welcoming and check in was quick and simple, we were on the 6th floor,room 686, our room had a wonderful view, showing big ben and the london eye. (we should of stayed here to watch the fireworks as we were ushered behind a building and missed them completely - anyway thats another story :) ) all the mod cons, a plasma screen, volume in the bathroom, a powerful shower, the bed was soooooo comfortable and large, the room was silent, with lovely thickcurtainsI woke up and forgot where I was! We wandered down to breakfast in the morning which was a also a 5 star experiance, staff again couldnt do enough to help, offering to collect more orange juice even though its self service, the food was a fantastic quality and they even offer 2 different types of smoothys, yum! If a had to be pedantic, they forgot to bring our toast, but thats it! Great overall 5 star experiance, thank you Intercontinental!

southampton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2007

Stayed here for one night in early December, while in London to see the Sound of Music and the Tutankhamun exhibition. The location near Hyde Park suited our travel plans, especially as it bucketed down with rain most of the time we were there, so the closeness to the tube was helpful.

I'd booked online with Octopus Travel and became concerned at check-in (at around 5.30) as it was looking like they had no rooms. I mentioned we were going to see a show, and the receptionist said 'So you'll need somewhere to get changed then - I'll talk to our room allocator (not her words, but I can't remember the term she used!) to see if we can find you a room'.

A room was eventually forthcoming, which was fine - clean, tidy and with all the amenities we expected, however we were near the lift lobby, and one of the lifts was squeaking, creaking and groaning all night when in use - when the hotel were advised of this on check-out, they simply said 'Thank you so much for letting us know' - not even an apology!

Breakfast was included in our rate, and the food was very good, almost everything you could think of was available - but the service left much to be desired. We had to ask for tea, coffee and toast on several occasions, and no dishes were cleared from the table despite them piling up on one side, so much so that the waiter bringing milk (which hadn't been brought with the tea) struggled to find space for it, yet still ignored the pile of dishes!

Overall a nice hotel, but the service needs improving....

Stayed December 2007
Hertfordshire, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2007

This hotel situated right by Hyde Park is a great place to stay (especially this time of year with Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park!!) The location is great and the hotel itself is well...what you would expect for a five star! Some may say rooms are small. I beg to differ, they were actually a great size, as this is London and space it at a prime. I was more than satisfied by the space.The Staff were not snooty as they are in most hotel of this calibre and they were ready to help with absolutely anything at all. The breakfast is AMAZING!!!!! Go for the Full shebang and get the full English which included continental. It gets delivered to your room on a table (pulls out to full size!!!) with Italian Linen and enough food to keep you going for a long While!!!!!
And so prompt I ordered for 9 and at 9 they knocked on the door! Impressed!Bathroom was good with Elemis products, smallish but as I said...Its London. Lovely massive tub! I would recommend for business people as its not a cosy family hotel. Its a chic London , upmarket hotel

• Liked — The Breakfast and the divine plush bed with feather down pillows!!!
  • Disliked — Some dust by the tea and coffee area otherwise very clean!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2007

Overall I really enjoyed my stay at the Intercontinental. Its location is key, and the recent refurb was well done. We used Kayak and had a great rate for the area (but certainly not cheap), and I’d definitely stay there again.

A pleasant surprise was Theo Randall’s restaurant downstairs. We hadn’t planned on dining there and were lucky to find a seat on a nearly fully booked Saturday night, but were very happy with our meal. The meal was pricey (160 quid… about $360 US), but it showed up a celebrity chef’s Knightsbridge restaurant. While this may have been a few menu choices, I was impressed overall.

A negative to the hotel was the incredible price of room service and anything above an beyond our discounted room rate. While I know this is Mayfair, I had cheaper drinks at Nobu (9 drinks for 85 quid) on Berkeley Street than I did in our own room. We only ordered room service once because the prices were just too much to justify for the luxury of staying in.

Pros: Location, Theo Randall’s, Service was impeccable.
Negative: It’s Mayfair, but wow… $35 US for a small Pizza?

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2007

I arrived at the hotel at 10.30am , and my room was unavailable since the hotel was fully booked the night before. I was invited to use the club lounge until the room was ready . The new club lounge is decorated in a contempoary style in keeping with the new look of the hotel, and was most comfortable - I enjoyed a good breakfast - very nice range on view.
My room was s park facing room decorated in English tradional style - large and comfortable. Nice bathroom with excellent Elemis toiletries which were replaced daily . I had booked a deluxe room which was upgraded to an executive room as I am a member of their ambassador club . The only downside was the shower in the bath instead of a separate shower.
The hotel is very close to Hyde park underground station on the picadilly line , and is convenient for shopping in Mayfair,Knightsbridge and Oxford street .

• Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to InterContinental London Park Lane? Share your experiences!