“Not worthy of the Hilton name...” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 33% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #275 of 1,065 Hotels in London
England
“Not worthy of the Hilton name...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

I stayed here for most of last week and unfortunately find myself here again!

I'm a Diamond member and have been for many years. I stayed here last week and it was not a pleasant experience.

Let's deal with last week first. The lobby is pretty shabby. Many of the front of house staff struggle with English.

My upgraded 'Exec' room was miniscule and interconnecting with one of the loudest women I've ever heard next door. When the noise got too much at midnight I complained and was told it would be dealt with. At some point in the night (I don't know the time) reception phoned me and asked me to explain what was wrong. Somewhat idiotic and lacking in forethought.

Additionally, my room was overlooking Victoria station. Extremely noisy so try and avoid if you can.

I did eventually get moved to a much better room on the other side of the hotel after suffering two nights of noise from the woman and the station.

The food is awful. I had some cod in the restaurant which was relatively expensive for this type of hotel. It came with a small Le Crueset of cabbage and a multitude of other sauces and accompaniments which were just utterly mismatched. The preceding night I had had pan fried salmon with...cabbage! Now I've got nothing against cabbage but it just doesn't work with those dishes. The Exec. Chef is clearly very inexperienced, on a tight budget or both.

There's also an abundance of recycled roast potatoes in many of the dishes - slightly odd.

Next, the gym...closed without any warning, apology or explanation to the guests.

Next, the concierge, or lack of concierge. He/she was never there when I wanted them.

So, on to this week. The front of house staff have been simply rude. Possibly the most discourteous staff I've come across in a Hilton (Nuria checked me in this time). She took my name, printed out an invoice with the wrong person on. When I asked where the room was she proclaimed arrogantly "it's an executive room" as if I was meant to be impressed. I asked her where the room was again and she simply let out an enormous sigh. Incredible. Hilton, a word of advice, as a Diamond member (or any guest for that matter) I expect some level of respect, all I got here was impertinence!

As I was checking in there was a loud shout from behind me in the bar where a chap began to chant loudly. Presumably a football song but it contained the words *unt and *ollocks! Elegant.

I refused the Exec. rooms this week as they couldn't provide one without a view (and noise) of Victoria station.

And so to the rooms, and here's the thing, the rooms are actually passable. Apart from my first room last week, they are well decorated for this type of hotel, not shabby at all and have decent, but small, bathrooms.

I may have to stay here again on business but I'm really going to try and avoid it. In fact, it would be better to stay at the Guoman Grosvenor across the road - much better, decent restaurants and without the football hooligans in the foyer!

Room Tip: Stay away from the rooms overlooking the station.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
DTlonvc, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Victoria, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear MrOizo100,

Thank you for sharing your views on trip advisor.

I am sorry we failed to meet your expectations in particular when being a hotel with very high volume of valued Hilton Honors' members. Whilst I do value every guest’s opinion and do take action with raised concern or general comments, I am disappointed with the way our team and recently refurbished product was portrayed in your review. I would agree on a couple of elements that could have been managed better but found it surprising that since all aspects of your experience from general appearance, size, product, culinary services through to interaction with our team were disappointing including other hotel guests, you would still consider coming back to our hotel for business but as you review content, it remains you choice as a consumer and valued guest.

Regards,

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

Stayed two nights for our honeymoon after a flight into LHR. Were treated royally and enjoyed every minute. The hotel went over the top for our honeymoon when I upgraded our room. They surprised us with a bottle of champagne and cheesecake along with a welcome letter from the mgr. of guest relations. We were very honored. They also allowed us early check-in by 1:30 hrs. Since we requested in advance. Also provided free wire fy in room. I am a platinum member with another hotel chain and have not seen service like this before. Doubletree by Hilton London Victoria is convient, professional, and generous if you want to tour London in a weekend I don't know if you can stay at a place with a better value

• Stayed December 2014
DTlonvc, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton London Victoria, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear Mattcalcio2,

We are delighted to have further enhanced this special moment in your life and hope to welcome on future visits to London.

Warmest Regards,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

We had afternoon tea here, encouraged by a voucher from the afternoon tea website. This made the tea incredibly reasonable and as such we were happy. If, however, we had paid full price we would have been very disappointed. We had to repeat our order a couple of times and then the waitress still brought the wrong sandwiches. We also had to ask for more tea and and we weren't offered any additional food and there wasn't much in the first place. The tea area had little atmosphere and wasn't a traditional London afternoon tea. If you want something cheap (if the offer is on) then it's worth a whirl if the location works for you but don't go there especially.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My wife and i stayed here for 2 days this week.. We were given a room which was freezing.. we adjusted the temperature control and no joy after 2 hours.. In the end the hotel heating engineer came and confirmed the system has broken down... We then had to wait to be moved to different room. This is after unpacking all our stuff and settling in.

My wife needed to go for a course and we asked for a wake up call which did not materialise. On the second morning it did come but 50 mins early which was annoying. We also had a false fire alarm which went off 3 times at 1.30am which i guess can happen any where as some one accidentally set it off.

Location was good close to many good restaurants and the room it self was good enough and clean. Concierge Mohammed was excellent.

I booked this place as i like to go to gym every day. When i arrived i was very disappointed to find that the gym was out of order.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ram m,

Thank you for your feedback.

I am truly sorry for the disappointing the set of events you experienced. We had a challenging couple of days last week with a new condenser which broke down and a pipe burst which required access through our gym and the reason it had to be closed for 2 days whilst we conduct this important repair. I will address the wake up calls lapses and thank you very much for commending our concierge Mohamed.
I would truly hope we could get a chance to showcase our hotel under it's usually high standards so feel free to contact me if you intend to travel back in the area.

Yours sincerely,

I.abid@dtlondonvictoria.com
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

My recent stay at DoubleTree by Hilton at Victoria did not get off to a good start.
After arriving at the reception I was advised that the room I selected during my online self check-in was not available. That was not an issue for me as other rooms on the same floor (I've chosen 8th floor) were still free. I was given room number 826 and headed off to the lifts.
And that's when the problems emerged.
Room 826 is located next to the lifts (having read previous reviews I was aware it might be quite noisy - and it was), facing the front of the hotel and what comes with it the Victoria train station (few other reviewers have complained about that too - that was also true) and to top it off it is also a corner room (same as room 813 mentioned in one of the reviews) which makes it smaller than other rooms.
So as soon as I got into the room I headed back downstairs to have it changed.
It is worth mentioning though that during the brief time I spent in room 826 I did notice that it was nicely decorated and tidy and the bathroom was clean.
Having arrived back at the reception I explained my concerns to the gentleman who was on duty.
Without a blink in his eye he apologised and said he would do his best to fix it.
The next thing I know I got a free upgrade to an Executive room on the 9th floor as far away from the lifts as possible and overlooking the back of the hotel which was way more quiet than my original room! Couldn't ask for more!
The room has everything you need - very comfortable kingsize bed, massive flat screen TV, mini bar and tea/coffee making facilities. The bathroom was spotless with a big rain forest shower along with nice slippers and soft bathrobes.
So with a small glitch to start with the rest of my stay was very pleasant and enjoyable.
I would definitely recommend this hotel but make sure you follow the room tips.

Room Tip: Avoid corner rooms, rooms next to the lifts and rooms facing the front of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Staff helpful and attentive and rooms of a good and comfortable standard for Hilton Double Tree Hotels. Found the restaurant to be more of a bar/café type area with lots of tourist slouching around texting or playing games on their phones. We were told that we couldn't have lunch as there was no room in the eating area. No one, taking up all the tables in the eating area, were eating so they should make it clear to them that guest for lunch take priority. We walked around the corner and had a lovely lunch in the Park Plaza Victoria instead.

Room Tip: Reception said only rooms on 1st floor have a bath
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Reykjavik, Iceland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Well located hotel, 2 mins from Victoria station. We were one adult and two teenagers. Since we were three, we had to get a family room, which was way too small. Too expensive to get extra bed or 50 pounds pr.night. Extra bed too soft so you slept poorly. No wifi except at high price.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton London Victoria? Share your experiences!