“Perfect location - back again” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn London - Mayfair

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn London - Mayfair to your Saves list
Holiday Inn London - Mayfair
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3 Berkeley Street, London W1J 8NE, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #328 of 1,075 hotels in London
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Perfect location - back again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2007

We have just spent 4 nights during Easter holidays at Holiday Inn Mayfair. Location is impossible to beat. Walking distance to everything. Green Park tube station around the corner. We booked a family room for the four of us and paid an average of £140 per night. We stayed here last year around May so it was our second stay here. We enjoyed it very much at both occasions. Check in was very fast and friendly, check out the same. No problems leaving the luggage at the concierge for a few hours as we had a late flight home. There was no breakfast to our reservation but that was not a problem. Starbucks was just across the street. The room was very clean and everything worked out fine. Green Park, St. James Park and Hyde Park are all close if you need to relax a bit from the city life. We will certainly return to this hotel again next time.

• Liked — Location, size of room
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

1,285 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Turkish first
Cheshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2007

Unfortunately, not a 4* hotel, and I don't think it has been a 4* hotel for quite some while.

The hotel is very well located just 5 minutes from Green Park Underground Station. The hotel does not have a front entrance, but a side entrance. The reception area is very dark and when we arrived it smelt very smoky.

The reception staff were quite unhappy when I refused to have my credit card authorised for £50.00 worth of extras which we hadn't consumed, we hadn't even checked into the room! After a request to speak to the Duty Manager to discuss this were were "let off", however, we were told that we were unable to use the video film or mini bar facility - we felt like naughty little children! (we didn't want to use it anyway).

We were on the 5th floor. The bedroom corridor was very dark and dreary with dark wood and dark green wallpaper. Our room was very dark and dreary and the wallpaper was ripped. There were two chairs and a table in the window and on one of the arms of the chairs someone had doodled on it!!! The paint on the window was flaking and the woodwork on the cupboards was absolutely disgusting. The bathroom looked like it could have had some work done on it recently, however, the door frame was in dire need of painting the there was a gap at the bottom of the bathroom door of about 4" which was rather strange! There was a nice display of mould on the bath sealant as well.

We decided to have our meal in the Restaurant, this was a very strange set up. It was just a bar area with no set tables, so you just sat where you wanted and they put some cutlery in front of you! The meal was ok but more like a Little Chef than a 4* hotel.
Staff were running around like headless chickens, shouting at each other - in fact, the restaurant management was very poor.

Breakfast was in the same bar like area - very standard breakfast with very unhappy staff serving.

This seemed like a badly managed hotel which reflected in the staff. I don't think we saw one member of staff smile. The hotel needs closing down and a complete refurbishment and some serious training for the staff. I am surprised that an establishment like Holiday Inn would put their name to such a foul hotel.

Luckily, we didn't pay full price for our stay (the price board in reception indicated rooms start from £345.00!!!!!). I would not stay here again it is a disgrace.

• Liked — Nothing at all
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2007

I travel to London from Boston on business several times a month and I have recently been staying at the Holiday Inn Mayfair (about 5-6 stays this year so far). The hotel is decent, location is great, and I always get the Executive King room, which is not cheap. The service is horrible at the hotel - I have never once had a pleasant experience with front desk staff, and the "concierge" is the most clueless person and barely speaks English. All of that I can get over becuase I am not here on vacation.

What I cannot get over (mentally and physically) is what happened during my last stay fon March 22, 2007. When I woke up in the morning I was COVERED with bed bug bites. It was one of the most disgusting things I have ever experienced. My arms, neck, face, parts of my back and legs were covered with horrendous bites. And when I say bites what I really mean is huge, red ugly welts. I travel all the time and this has fortunately never happened to me. It has been one of the most uncomfortable things I have ever experienced. The itching was incredible and lasted for almost 2 weeks. Nothing helped, even the steroids that my doctor prescribed. It is now 3 weeks later and although the intense itching and bleeding has stopped, there are still marks all over my arms. My doctor said they will possibly be scars they are so bad. I cannot even wear a t-shirts to the gym still becuase I look like a freak show. I will NEVER stay at this hotel again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Getting attacked by bed bugs.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2007

Holday Inn Mayfair is a great choice for families. The location just cannot be beaten --as simple as that.

Rooms are a bit tired. But on the positive side they are spacious and with two double beds you can fit 3 and even 4 people if traveling with kids. Concierges were attentive and found the staff very nice and the service good --including turn-down service every night.

• Stayed April 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2007

Our party of 3 stayed in the holiday Inn, Mayfair for 3 nights. We found our stay to be very pleasant with a nice clean and very warm room. Breakfast wasn't included in our deal so although we didn't eat in the hotel or visit the bar, the location is excellent and we didn't have to walk too far in order to find plenty of restaurants. The Green Park tube station is around the corner but for those who like to walk, Piccadilly Circus is 5 minutes walk away and from there if you're feeling energetic you can walk to Leicester Square, Trafalgar Square and Convent Garden (all very clearly signposted). You couldn't really get a better hotel for location and the staff in the hotel that I spoke to were very courteous. I would have no hesitation in booking this hotel again or recommending it to anyone as the 3 of us thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Liked — Location & Clean, Warm Rooms
  • Disliked — No Complaints
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Niagara Falls, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2007

Let me start off by saying that the only PRO that this hotel has is it's location and brand name. The hotel was situated right next to Green Park tube station and within walking distance to Picadilly Square, Leister Square, Trafalgar Square and all other major sights within London. That's where it all stops!

I arrived in London on Sat. March 10th in the morning. I had flown from Toronto on an evening flight, and was extremely tired and was not feeling very well. By the time I arrived to the hotel, it was about 11:00am. When I approached the front desk the staff did not greet me, did not smile, did not make me feel welcomed, rather, I felt that I was an intruder. Upon giving them my passport for id purposes, and other collateral, I was told that the room was not ready. I explained to the girl at the desk that I had travelled all night and was not feeling well, could she see if there was anything they could do. I received an immediate response of "no, check in time is not until later on in the day, you will have to wait"...I hadn't even finished speaking when she interrupted me to say "no". Then I got upset, she hadn't even checked with housekeeping to see if the room was ready. I asked her to call their housekeeping staff. When she did, the person on the other end was upset to be bothered with such a request. Needless to say, I was not allowed into my room. I had to check my bags, and be sent off, on my way. The personnel at the front desk exchanged glances to one another, to indicate that I was bothersome.

Now, I am a manager at a hotel in Niagara Falls, Ontario, and I do this for a living. NO WAY! would our staff EVER act this way with our guests!! I am accustomed to treat our guests in a welcoming manner, and when I travel, I expect the same service!!!

Well, the bellman, were just as bad. They seemed "bothered" to have to store my luggage, and just had observed my incident with the front desk, and it was like a little "cult" at the front lines. They were extremely UNHELPFUL AND UNFRIENDLY!! They did not assist me with my luggage, nor ask if I required assistance to my room. I had alot of baggage, as I was travelling for business, and they just gave me my luggage and sent me off!

Anytime, any of us walked into the hotel, the staff just glared at us, with unfriendly faces. It was quite annoying. At one point, I really wanted to say something to them! But, couldn't be bothered, as the less interaction with those "people" I had the better.

I went out for the day, by the time I returned to my hotel, I was exhausted. I finally got into my room, which was acceptable, but rather tired looking. It was equipped with a hairdryer, tv, air conditioning, ample closet space. ( I was sharing with a colleague of mine, who did not arrive into London until the Sunday). Space wise, the rooms are adequate. Decor is tired, needs some updating, but that didn't bother me so much.

I was in town for a conference, and my other colleague was at another hotel. When I tried to make a local call, it was difficult to get out on the phone. I called the front desk to inquire how much a local call was, and no body knew. I'm sorry, you work at the front desk and you don't know? I was shocked. She had to call me back. I waited 40 minutes before I received a call back. She then started to reprimand me, saying that I should have a card in my room with the pricing. I got upset, and told her that there was no such card in my room, and she should know the fees for a call, especially when she is working the front desk!!!! WATCH OUT FOLKS...THEY CHARGE .55 pence PER MINUTE FOR LOCAL CALLS. I was charged 12pounds for 1 local call!!! THIS IS A MONEY MAKER FOR THE HOTEL AND A HUGE RIP OFF!!!

Their kitchen closes early, room service is very limited and the selections were not to my liking. Nothing around the hotel stays open later than 9:00pm for dinner, coffee, anything. Therefore, if you are looking to dine, do not look around the area of the hotel, past 9:00pm. There were some evenings, that we were engaged in events all day, and could not eat until later on in the evening, and we had to find places down in Leister Square. Nothing convenient around that area.

Upon check-out, AGAIN, RUDE FRONT DESK STAFF!! I was charged for several phone calls that I did not get through to, and was disputing the charges. The girl at the desk was being argumentative with me. After, much arguing back and forth a supervisor finally came and took the charges off.

Please, I urge you not to stay at this hotel, due to the lack of customer service. The management of this hotel needs to really look into their staff's attitudes, as it is under par! Being unhelpful, acting like the guest is a bother, and just being plain rude, is not the type of service that I expect, nor pay money to receive. London is a very expensive city, and when I travel, I do not expect to be treated in the manner that I was treated at the Holiday Inn Mayfair. DO NOT STAY HERE! Stay anywhere else but HERE!!!

• Liked — Location is the only pro that this hotel has.
  • Disliked — Attitude of the staff, lack of customer service. Service at this hotel was terrible!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
Alberta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2007

I spent 5 nights at the Holiday Inn Mayfair and booked my stay through the hotel website. I paid 112 pounds a night which by London standards is very inexpensive, and since I was on a budget and after reading some of the other reviews at Tripadvisor about the property, I took a chance and booked the Holiday Inn Mayfair

First of all the hotel is easily accessible from London Heathrow airport via the tube train to Green Park station which is just around the corner from the hotel. There is a Starbucks across the street from the hotel which I enjoyed for breakfast! There is a Boots Drugstore and a Marks & Spencer Foods just around the corner as well. Buckingham Palace is a short walk away. From there you can walk down through St. James Park to the Parliament Buildings and Westminster Abbey and Trafalgar Square. Harrods and some of the higher-end shops are a short bus ride away from the hotel as well.

There are 2 internet terminals in the hotel and you can purchase an internet plan which is quite reasonable. I paid 10 pounds for 90 minutes of time - this is a good option for those of us who do not travel with laptops and still want to keep up with our emails. The concierge at the hotel were fairly friendly and there didn't seem to be any porter service, so you're on your own if you have loads of luggage. The front desk staff were competent enough. I wasn't too impressed with the restaurant however - I found it to be small and crowded and a little too smoky for my taste, so I only ate there once.

My room was on the 4th floor and was very quiet. My bed was comfortable, linens were clean, and the bathroom was roomy enough for me. I don't have any complaints about my room at all except to say that the complimentary shampoo they offered in the bathroom was horrible. Bring your own shampoo or go pick up a small bottle at the Boots around the corner.

I would have no problem staying at the Holiday Inn Mayfair again.

• Liked — The location!
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Holiday Inn London - Mayfair? Share your experiences!