I picked this hotel based on reviews on Trip-Advisor and recommendations on Fodors. I needed a centrally located hotel for a 4 night stay in London, main reason to watch my daughter perform in the London New Years Day Parade. I was traveling by myself as my daughter was with her group in another hotel.
I had used the Holiday Inn website and purchased a prepaid reservation with not refunds. The full amt. of the bill was to have been charged to my credit card when I made the reservation. When I arrived at the hotel they said my card had been declined. I asked why they had not called me and was told it was not their responsibility. I had however just flown transatlantic and I was tired and wanted my room or I would have said a few choice words and gone elsewhere. When they tried the card again at my insistence it went right though (with the same info they already had) Turns out they had punched in the wrong expiration date but had not had the courtesy to call and tell me there was a problem.
The price was reasonable for London except they made me pay double for New Years Eve and there was nothing in the hotel but a little party in the mediocre restaurant. Certainly nothing someone would want to pay double to stay there for not did I attend the party.
The room was a typical Holiday Inn. Funiture a little worn but a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was pretty good, long deep tub. Only complaint, the towel rack was heated and it was right at the toilet and everytime you sat down you bumped your knee against it and it burned. There was also some rust around the faucets but nothing to deter from the stay.
Housekeeping was wonderful, everything was replaced perfectly each day and they always had a smile and a cheery hello when you saw them in the hall.
My only (but big) complaint. You could definately tell they did not like a single female traveler. The check in clerk made it clear he did not understand why I was alone. The concierge asked me why I was alone. Another man asked me if I needed help with my bags since I did not have a man with me. I was told about the New Years Eve dinner buffet but he said "I presume you are not interested since you are alone" I am not sure if they thought I was trying to pay a single rate and was planning on sneaking someone in or something. It was not a one time feeling. They definately did not like me being by myself.
Oveall the room and stay were ok but I would probably stay elsewhere if I returned. There is really nothing close by except the Ritz and a small very expensive grocery store. As you walk up the street a few blocks you find some stores but other than Fortnum and Mason and a few botiques nothing of interest to an average tourist. One coffee shop a few blocks away and about 6 blocks to a restaurant other than the restaurant in the hotel.
I am not downing the hotel, it is fine and the location is close to a tube stop and it is right at the corner of Green Park, it is just not that great for what you pay and there are plenty of other great locations in London. If front staff had been nicer and just a little warmer it could have made a world of difference.
One other thing, DO NOT USE THEIR PHONES. Go outside and use a pay phone. They fleece you for every pound. Like over 6 dollars to dial a toll free access number to use you calling card.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Holiday Inn London-Mayfair hotel is located in the heart of Mayfair, London's premier hotel district. With its unparalleled location on the corner of Piccadilly and Berkeley Street, the Holiday Inn Mayfair is ideally situated for your business or leisure stay. This Mayfair hotel is fully air conditioned and all bedrooms are equiped with high speed internet access. The traditional and tastefully appointed hotel is in close proximity to Green Park, Hyde Park,, the Royal Academy, Covent Garden, superb shops in Bond Street, Regent Street as well as many clubs, casinos and night spots. Oxford Street, Harrods, Buckingham Palace, London Eye, Theatres and the West End are all close by. Adjacent to the hotel is Green Park underground station which gives direct access to Heathrow airport and St Pancras International Station for the Eurostar. As well as mainline rail services from Victoria and the Gatwick Express. All Conference & Meeting rooms in this ideal central London location have natural day light and are equipped to cater for any event. Nightingales Restaurant offers modern British cuisine from light snacks to a full a la carte menu. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, IHG, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, HotelTravel.com, LondonMarketing.com, Hotel.de, BookIt.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Holiday Inn London - Mayfair reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn London - Mayfair Hotel London
- London Holiday Inn
- Holiday Inn London - Mayfair England