“They do not like single female travelers.” 3 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #324 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Jonas Ridge,NC
“They do not like single female travelers.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2008

I picked this hotel based on reviews on Trip-Advisor and recommendations on Fodors. I needed a centrally located hotel for a 4 night stay in London, main reason to watch my daughter perform in the London New Years Day Parade. I was traveling by myself as my daughter was with her group in another hotel.

I had used the Holiday Inn website and purchased a prepaid reservation with not refunds. The full amt. of the bill was to have been charged to my credit card when I made the reservation. When I arrived at the hotel they said my card had been declined. I asked why they had not called me and was told it was not their responsibility. I had however just flown transatlantic and I was tired and wanted my room or I would have said a few choice words and gone elsewhere. When they tried the card again at my insistence it went right though (with the same info they already had) Turns out they had punched in the wrong expiration date but had not had the courtesy to call and tell me there was a problem.

The price was reasonable for London except they made me pay double for New Years Eve and there was nothing in the hotel but a little party in the mediocre restaurant. Certainly nothing someone would want to pay double to stay there for not did I attend the party.

The room was a typical Holiday Inn. Funiture a little worn but a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was pretty good, long deep tub. Only complaint, the towel rack was heated and it was right at the toilet and everytime you sat down you bumped your knee against it and it burned. There was also some rust around the faucets but nothing to deter from the stay.

Housekeeping was wonderful, everything was replaced perfectly each day and they always had a smile and a cheery hello when you saw them in the hall.

My only (but big) complaint. You could definately tell they did not like a single female traveler. The check in clerk made it clear he did not understand why I was alone. The concierge asked me why I was alone. Another man asked me if I needed help with my bags since I did not have a man with me. I was told about the New Years Eve dinner buffet but he said "I presume you are not interested since you are alone" I am not sure if they thought I was trying to pay a single rate and was planning on sneaking someone in or something. It was not a one time feeling. They definately did not like me being by myself.

Oveall the room and stay were ok but I would probably stay elsewhere if I returned. There is really nothing close by except the Ritz and a small very expensive grocery store. As you walk up the street a few blocks you find some stores but other than Fortnum and Mason and a few botiques nothing of interest to an average tourist. One coffee shop a few blocks away and about 6 blocks to a restaurant other than the restaurant in the hotel.

I am not downing the hotel, it is fine and the location is close to a tube stop and it is right at the corner of Green Park, it is just not that great for what you pay and there are plenty of other great locations in London. If front staff had been nicer and just a little warmer it could have made a world of difference.

One other thing, DO NOT USE THEIR PHONES. Go outside and use a pay phone. They fleece you for every pound. Like over 6 dollars to dial a toll free access number to use you calling card.

• Liked — Location, comfortable bed
  • Disliked — Attitude of the staff towards a single female traveler
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
  • Indonesian first
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2008

Stayed here for a getaway weekend at holiday time. Picked it for the location near theater district, Covent Garden, etc. Enjoyed walking up Picadilly Street and through Green Park, to Buckingham, etc.

Priceline gave us this as a four-star, which it's not, but we liked it better than expected for a Holiday Inn. Old-fashioned, fussy furnishings, but clean and comfortable. Quiet lodging a side street just off Picadilly Street. Desk folks and concierge perfectly nice. The night we arrived, we ordered room-service dinner, which was pretty good and not too expensive. So it worked out well for us, and we got a good price. Not exceptional but perfectly satisfactory for a nice weekend base.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Expensive Internet access
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Northern England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2008

I got a very good rate for this hotel, but was still quite disappointed at how ordinary this hotel is, considering its rack rate of £495 per room. Our room was standard Holiday Inn size. The only bathroom amenities were shampoo and conditioner and soap (not always provided these days, when squeeze bottles are there). The bathroom was very small; the TV was quite small. The good points were: splendid location right near Green Park tube station; quiet room despite central location; very clean. But there was not a single element that took the hotel out of the regular Holiday Inn category, so don't expect anything too posh and you won't be disappointed.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — non-mixer taps in bathroom!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2007

Stayed overnight for a dinner dance at another hotel. The hotel seems a bit impersonal and strangely old fashioned decor but the room was comfortable and clean with two decent chairs and a table. Got a really good nights sleep. Didn't stay for breakfast and went to St Martin-in-the-Fields in Trafalgar Square which does a fantastic breakfast in the crypt. The room rate was £145 pre-booked then PLUS VAT - this is a trick some of the hotel websites are now playing which adds another 17.5% onto your bill which you might not realise if comparing with a hotel that includes VAT.
Just a couple of problems with the hotel - I asked to book a taxi for 7 but the concierge said he would call on when we came down. It took 15 minutes to hail a taxi while we froze to death - the Holiday Inn doesn't seem to be on the taxi run, probably because it is pretending to be a posh hotel but still runs like a Holiday Inn! I bought a couple of whiskies in the bar - at £16 it would have been better value to bring a bottle with us!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Concierge unable to get taxis
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled on business
Widnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2007

this hotel was in a great location for the hart of london but the rooms were not 4star by any means more like 3***, the staff were great and the food was good although only warm and they could not keep up with putting fresh food out in a morning, the bedrooms were a bit shabby for the price we paid but the bed soft and you also had a tea's maid and tv, the bathroom looked as if it had recently had a face lift........i would stay the again but not at the price we paid.......

Stayed October 2007
Washington, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2007

Having read some of the other reviews left for this hotel before we made the trip to London we were very apprehensive about what we would be greeted with when we arrived but we found there was no need to worry at all.

The hotel staff were pleasant and helpful (not of British origin as so many have pointed out but so what!). The hotels location is fantasic, 1 minute from the Ritz and Langans Brasserie virtually opposite for those of you with lots of cash, and 2 minutes from Green Park underground so if you want to eat away from Mayfair you can easily get anywhere in London.

The hotel offers a deal on breakfast whereby you can buy a voucher at reception for breakfast for £10.95, still a bit pricey but it is a buffet and if you fill up you do not need anything large at lunchtime.

The rooms were clean and well maintained with a nightly turndown service (and free chocolates for Platinum Priority Club members).

I will return here without any worries in future.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Titusville, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for five nights and had no complaints whatsoever. The room was clean and well appointed, and the staff were helpful and friendly. We did not use the restaurant, but there are many places nearby to eat in to take away. The tube and buses are at your doorstep, and many of the major attractions are within walking distance. The park is right across the street.

Stayed August 2007

Been to Holiday Inn London - Mayfair? Share your experiences!