“Better than expected except for one thing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn London - Kings Cross / Bloomsbury

You added Holiday Inn London - Kings Cross / Bloomsbury to your Saves list
Holiday Inn London - Kings Cross / Bloomsbury
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Kings Cross Rd, London WC1X 9HX, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #524 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Nontron, France
“Better than expected except for one thing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

I liked this hotel, check in and check out were quick, staff were helpful, room was good, bigger than expected for London, room and corridors (first floor near lift) were quiet, bathroom clean and well equipped. Mini bar/fridge was missing in my room but for me this didn't matter. Location is OK but further from Kings Cross and tube stations than it looks on the map, you would need a taxi if you had much luggage. The concierges were knowledgeable and helpful, lent me a European adapter BUT, and this was a huge issue for me, there was no electric socket anywhere near the bed and no extension lead available. I only discovered this at bedtime when I needed to charge my phone for use in bed and as an alarm. Apparently you can sometimes get them, but not always and only during the daytime - not much help if someone arrives or needs power nearish to the bed in the evening! Not good service for a four star hotel I felt... Breakfast was included, was ok, again not really up to four star standard IMO. Overall it was pretty good and I would stay here again - but only on condition that I was promised extension lead in advance :)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Mark B, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kings Cross / Bloomsbury, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank you for your positive review and for staying with us on your trip to London. I am glad that you found our check-in and concierge services good. For information only we are refurbishing our hotel later this year and we will review the number/type of sockets near the bed. I have asked our Engineering Team to stock an extension lead for you. Thank you for letting me know.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Greek first
Cologne, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

The hotel is pretty good for a Holiday Inn. Nice rooms, clean, high standard (for London). Staff at reception are more or less useless, but what do you expect? But: If I pay 150-200 GBP for a hotel, would it be possible to invest 50 pence more into a decent breakfast? Baked beans, scrambled eggs of the lowest possible quality. It doesn't take much more to treat your customers like human beings - and that would easily upgrade this hotel to a 4-star rating. Prettyplease?

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and for staying with us on your trip to London. I am glad that you found our bedrooms here of a high standard and we will review our breakfast arrangements for the future. Thank you for letting us know.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Good sized room, up on the 4th floor, with a nice shower - the lifts were a pain, slow, and ram packed, but I think the hotel was rather busy during my stay.

Wifi is very overpriced, so not too impressed there. The English breakfast was nice, with a decent selection.

Staff were friendly and helpful. No doubt I'll be back!

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind review and for staying with us in London. Wi-Fi is now free for all IHG Reward Club Members so why not join on your next visit to an IHG Hotel Reception - you can earn loyalty points at the same time. I am glad that you enjoyed our English Breakfast. Thank you for letting me know and hope to see you back again very soon.
Elyria, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We chose this hotel because it was close to where our daughter was living in Islington. It's not in the boondocks, but it's not really close to anything, particularly the underground. The Kings Cross station is a healthy walk away as is the Farringdon station in the other direction. Luckily we had very nice weather during our time in London, so it was not an issue for the most part. However, be aware that if you have several bags, the trip from the airport via the Heathrow Express will require an additional cabfare to get you to the hotel...and later from the hotel back to the tube station at the end of your trip.
I wish I could say nice things about this visit at the Holiday Inn but it was mostly a disappointment from the moment we tried to check in. We arrived early from our overnight trip to find that our rooms were not ready and wouldn't be until early afternoon. Well, this is what we found out once they were able to find our reservation in their computers. Luckily I had printed out the confirmation numbers as they had the name wrong. After that was cleared up, we were told by the desk that we could leave our bags with the concierge and come back later in the afternoon to finish checking in.
There was a mass of baggage clogging up the area around the concierge desk and they gave us a check stub and chained our bags to a bunch of other bags standing there. Must have been over a hundred bags chained in groupings in the hallway.
When we came back...no surprise, our rooms were still not busy. The manager called housekeeping to see if he could move it along and told us to sit in the bar and he would come get us when the rooms were ready...he didn't. I went back to the desk a few times, the first time he wanted to know how he could help me...he'd forgotten about us. We finally got to our rooms which were on the executive floor, though I don't think any different from other floors, and were somewhat small.
Over the week we stayed at the hotel, we found the housekeeping staff to be excellent, the room and bath was kept very clean and it was also quiet, affording us good sleeping conditions.
We did have a problem with the air conditioning which for some reason would either leave us too cold or too hot and the small sleep sofa was one of the most uncomfortable pieces of furniture we ever had to deal with. The room was kind of ticky tacky...the wood divider between the bed and sofa was wobbly and we propped a bag against it fearing it might fall over some night while we were sleeping.
If you are a member of the IHG (we were) then you get free internet. If not they charge you for it which is absurd. Even the least of hotel chains in the states provide free wifi, particularly the Holiday Inn chain. This gouging is ridiculous and if you have to pay, you should expect it to at least work well...it didn't for us. So glad not to have had the priviledge of having to pay for bad service. Everytime you want to use the wifi, you have to sign in again...and again....and again. This gets old fast.
There's a nice club to work out in...if you want to pay extra for it. Never stayed in a hotel that charged the guests to use the workout facilities...another bummer.
We pre-bought the English breakfast with our rooms...the offerings never changed. We were there for 6 days and the choices were always the same...cooked the same way...not well. We found eggs undercooked, bacon and sausage undercooked as well. Fruit was canned, not fresh, bakery goods just not edible, coffee weak. If you decide to stay here, skip the breakfast plan and go out and find some real food somewhere else...we ended up eating what pretty much was a continental breakfast after a few days of experimenting with the food.
All in all, our stay here was not one worth writing home about. Service, except for housekeeping, was pretty weak. The concierge staff didn't really seem to know the answers to any questions we asked and frankly seemed annoyed that we were "bothering" them.
The lobby has no place to sit...and wait for others in and the bar is even less inviting. The barman here seemed to be chosen on the basis that he had no interpersonal skills but at least he wasn't going to overpour.
There are lots of choices for hotels in London and we love visiting here...but next time we'll stay somewhere else.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the quieter it should be. Stay away from rooms by the elevators, they are the m...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Mark B, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kings Cross / Bloomsbury, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for your detailed review and for staying with us on your trip to London. I am sorry about the delays and disruption caused on arrival. Please accept my apologies for the other issues highlighted, housekeeping aside. Our Team here can learn a lot from your feedback for the future. Thank you.
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

V. disappointed to arrive after 5PM and find no business centre available.
No, I did not check the website, I still haven't, maybe that is disclosed - but in this day and age when we're all global, naive me thought it would be open 24/7 - wrongo. This was really, really inconvenient for me. I pointed out to reception (by phone, when I called to locate it within the hotel) that the rest of the world is open for business, even when London isn't - H.I is an international business brand, isn't it? It certainly advertises itself as one. So the next morning I tried to use the what can only be described as a poxy storage room, which is actually an office for someone else with a computer which did not work ... after 10 mins I gave up, and no the world did not stop in its rotation, but things I was hoping to sort out did not get attended to etc. etc. So not a good start to my day.
Additionally I requested about a wake up call at 8 at check in - then realised that would not give me enough time (tube strike) to get to my appointment - and called to change it ('Yes, Ma'am. no problem') and did I get awoken at 7:45am ? No. Again, poor show.
Then, about 20 mins after that, the maid tries to clean the room (don't they get told when someone has checked out?)
The English breakfast is very heavy which is great if you like that kind of thing.
Also, it's nowhere near Kings Cross - stupid me figured it was RIGHT there at the station - hah!
That is not their fault, but people need to know especially if like me, they start shlepping their luggage thinking, oh, it's just around the corner. Their address (1, Kings Cross Rd) is not where the station is - if it was my hotel, I would re-name it to something with more accurate 'truth in advertising'.
The bathroom was fine, except for what looked like black mould in the grout and the faucet was really old and dirty looking in the sink area - it was not actually dirty (I attempted to clean) but probably stained with calcium/lime. For these prices I would expect something not quite so tatty looking.
The plus part was getting a decent room, with functional AC for a change (there is a god) and the staff were courteous & helpful. But they can't make a business center be open at 7PM, or 11PM, or whatever time is convenient for me as a foreigner trying to do business in a different time zone.

The plus points were friendly staff,

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thank you for your review and for staying with us on your trip to London. I am glad that you found our staff here to be friendly & helpful. We are refurbishing our hotel later this year and we will review our Business centre times then. Thank you for letting me know and for your detailed review, I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

My first impression was someone from reception yelling: "NEXT HELLO HELLO NEXT!" like some market sales person even though no-one was waiting. We wanted to drop off our bags until check-in and the person taking our bags was the rudest staff member I have ever encountered. He did not greet us, kept chatting to someone else behind the counter while helping me and seemed very unhappy about taking our bags. Definitely not the service and class you would expect of a 4* hotel.

The rooms are very dated, but reasonably clean. I did find a burn hole in my bedding even though the room was non-smoking. The room service was good and the beds are comfy.

Service-wise this hotel is definitely not 4* worthy. I have had better service in £10 a night hostel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. I am sorry that an employee was rude in anyway and let our Team down. Please e-mail the details/times and I will investigate the incident. Thank you for letting me know. E-Mail: sales@holidayinnlondon.com
Cambridgeshire England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

Visited two nights fri/sat and on arrival Friday evening it was mildly chaotic around reception with people checking in,people asking questions and people generally milling around, however reception staff seemed to be dealing with this very well.
We were given upgrade to top floor and room was a very nice size with two seater sofa. Room decor and general condition was a little tired and could do with a bit of decorating. Bed was reasonably comfortable and room was clean.
Breakfast on the Saturday morning was very very busy so not a relaxed experience but was ok, with the normal hot and cold choices.
Sunday breakfast was much better and more enjoyable.
Hotel is in pretty good location and one could walk to many areas resonably comfortably,transport links ok with bus stops over the road and Russell Square &Farringdon tube stations well within walking distance. Kings cross mainline station is within walking distance but would not recommend with heavy suitcases.
Would recommend hotel as good all round stay, and up to the standard we have come to expect of H.I.in London and suburbs.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark B, General Manager at Holiday Inn London - Kings Cross / Bloomsbury, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you for your kind and positive review. We all appreciate you recommending our hotel to future guests. I am glad that you enjoyed both our location and bedrooms/services at this very busy time of year. Thank you again for letting us know, our Team here will appreciate your constructive feedback.

Been to Holiday Inn London - Kings Cross / Bloomsbury? Share your experiences!