“Very nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza London Kensington

You added Crowne Plaza London Kensington to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza London Kensington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Cromwell Road | Kensington, London SW7 4ER, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #163 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Portskewett, United Kingdom
“Very nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Just got back from a stay at the Crowne Plaza
I had booked 2 double standard rooms some months ago and rang the in house reservations requesting inter connecting rooms as my Mum is 81 and needs assistance in the morning. I spoke to Victoria who couldn't have been more helpful and suggested an accessible room might be easier for Mum as it has a walk in shower - this meant upgrading us to club rooms at no extra charge, she even re issued the e mail confirmation.
Also, I rang the concierge before arriving to find out about local hair dressers for my Mum and they gave me several options all of which were virtually across the street.
The rooms were really nice (although the bed was very firm - but that was more my problem as it was fine for my husband)and we were generally really pleased with the whole stay - reception staff we very friendly and the concierge were a credit to the team.
The reason I have give 4/5 not 5/5 is 2 small things.
Firstly on arrival, we were given a non accessible room and it took quite a while to sort it out - but we got there in the end and the rooms were interconnecting as well!
Secondly, we were in rooms 415 and 417 and the shower heads on the 2 showers in 417 and the one in 415 had broken with makeshift repairs rather than being replaced which were then a pain to shower under. Really that sort of thing should be picked up by housekeeping or maintenance.
Other than that a great stay and I would stay there again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Sarahms
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay, I am so glad you and your Mother enjoyed your visit. Please accept my apologies that the showers in your room were faulty, I will get our maintenance team to sort that out right away.
Lawder Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Greek first
Furuvik
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Just came back from London and are very pleased with our choice of hotel. Only positive things to say. Very easy travelling from Heathrow. Kensington is a nice area to stay in.
We where two adults and one child, 8 years old. Our mail purpose was to visit the museums in the area and they are very close.
Very clean hotel. Friendly staff.
Only thing that we were not so pleased with was the poor selection of tv channels. But on the other hand who goes to London to watch TV?
Next time in London we will be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Nellienos
Thank you for your review, I am delighted that you felt able to give us a 5/5 rating.
We do have 60 channels on our TV's, including a wide selection of foreign language channels for our international guests. I'm sorry that this may not include all the channels that have at home.
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit.
Cairo, Egypt
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

A nice location indeed, but an average hotel.
Rooms are adequately sized and nice lay out, bathroom too small. I had access to the club lounge which was average.
No coffee machine in the room, but a kettle and some tea bags and Nescafé.
Staff were very helpful and responsive.
Location is very well placed, 5 steps from the subway and walking distance from Harrods and Hyde Park.
Recommended for business visits.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear MSOLIMAN
Thank you for your feedback on our hotel.
I'm sorry that the tea and coffee facilities in our rooms include kettles for you to make your own tea and coffee rather than a coffee machine ( I know that some 5 star hotels now have Nespresso machines in the rooms - why not try one of the suites at the new Intercontinental Hotel Westminster, which all have these machines). Our club lounge does have a machine to freshly brew a selection of teas or coffees at any time.
Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

A good location right by Gloucester Rd tube station, smart reception and bar/restaurant facilities. However my room was pokey, the walls were damaged and marked, carpet worn and frayed. An unwelcoming room. I stayed here two nights on business and whilst better compared to its neighbours (HI and Best Western) I was glad it wasnt a longer stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear MickHampshire
I was so sorry to read of your disappointment with your room. Our rooms are larger than average for London hotels and we are normally get very positive reviews about their size ( as you will see from previous reviewers). Perhaps on a future visit ( I hope there will be one) try one of our Deluse rooms which are our largest rooms and all have two double beds.
I am surprised to hear that you found the carpet worn and frayed as all our bedroom carpets are only 3 years old. I have asked our Housekeeper to re-check all rooms to see if we can identify a room with a frayed or worn carpet and we will of course replace it.
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I stayed here for two nights with my mum and my aunt during a three week tour of Europe. We took the Eurostar from Lille to St. Pancras Station, and took the Underground to the hotel. A very easy trip, as the hotel is right across the street from the Gloucester Road station. We were very surprised by how "fancy" the hotel looked when we walked into the lobby. As this had been a "oh, well this looks fine I guess" type of online booking, this was a very pleasant surprise. The front desk staff were very friendly. If I remember correctly, we were a bit early for check-in, as our train had arrived noon-ish, but it wasn't a problem.

Our room was also quite nice, and quite large by London standards. A previous room I had stayed in at a different hotel in the same area had been about half the size of this one. The beds were very comfortable. My only complaint, and judging by some recent reviews this may have changed, was the high fee for WiFi. (Oh well, once we were back on the continent, it was back to free WiFi at every hotel...).

I really cannot say enough about the location. So convenient, being across from the Underground, and it's a short walk to High Street Kensington, where all the trendy shops are (and a Whole Foods!). There are also lots of little restaurants and a wonderful French bakery, the name of which escapes me right now (it was a man's name) right nearby (which was a great find, as the Crowne Plaza did not offer a free breakfast!). It was also "walking distance" to Harrods, but I wouldn't recommend doing that walk more than once... our feet and legs sure took a beating from so much walking... we certainly made use of the comfy beds at the end of the day.

For the price we got, this was an excellent find. Would gladly stay at the Crowne Plaza Kensington in the future!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear Citygirlchloe
Thank you for reviewing our hotel, I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. You're so right that we have a great location, but I'm not surprised your feet were aching at the end of the day, there's so much to see and do in the local area.
We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

From the moment we walked through the door the reception and concierge staff were super helpful, I don't remember all their names but there was Tomas, Diego, George and others. They made us feel like really special guests, helped us get a really nice room and sorted out a DVD player. The breakfast was good and although the restaurant was busy and we had to wait a couple of mins to be seated, the staff were really helpful and brought us hot drinks. Avoid the scrambled egg though - it tasted like plastic on both days, but everything else (of the vegetarian options) was tasty and plenty of options. The room was compact (but not too small - it is central London after all) but the bed was a bit too small and we didn't sleep so well in it. The shower was really powerful and plenty of hot water - awesome - the complimentary toiletries were really nice too. Oh yeah and the free bottle of water in the room was a great touch!
When we checked in the staff told us there was a promotion with free Wifi which was great to have!

We had an amazing time in the hotel and the concierge staff were so helpful with recommendations for dinner - doing some great research for us to find an amazing Lebanese restaurant within 15 mins walk that was within our budget.
The hotel is literally a stone's throw from the 3 major museums, round the corner from rows of quaint Kensington streets and the amazing shopping on Kensington high street and the parks and palaces. We loved all the little coffee shops around and the huge Whole Foods Market as well.

We will be back for sure and have already raved about the hotel to our friends.
Thank you for a lovely stay!

The only thing I was a bit surprised by is that the prices advertised on their website are much more expensive (like double) what you can get on the deals websites and agency sites, even though they advertise a lowest price guarantee - you can't claim on it as they only offered a flexible rate on their site, whereas the other sites offer a prepay only, therefore no comparison. Maybe this is their strategy, but why not offer the discounts direct on their own site and attract customers there and not have to pay agency commissions?

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the garden - much quieter.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Eldbs
Thank you for your review, I am so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I am not sure what room type you stayed in, but all our rooms have either double beds, King size and some have super king. Why not book a Club room on your next visit to have a King size bed.
The best available rates are always from our own website. We do offer an advance purchase rate which is pre-paid and cannot be amended or cancelled, this is a good saving on our fully flexible rate and is usually available up to 7 days in advance of arrival day. Remember that the rates you see on some on-line travel agencies are not always available when you try to book it.
Canton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We took a deluxe double room on the 5th floor facing Cromwell Road for one week. Nice spacious room; clean as was the entire hotel. Staff friendly and helpful. Gloucester Road station on Piccadilly line direct from Heathrow is across the street from the hotel. Can also pick up Circle and District lines at this station. Walking distance to Natural History museum, Hyde Park, and Kensington Gardens. Waitrose grocery is also across the street. Bought an anytime zone 1 and 2 7-day Oyster card at Heathrow upon our arrival which took us to 90+% of the sights in London. Returned the cards at airport station for a 7.20 pound per card refund. We will stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Our deluxe double had only the desk chair and beds for seating. There was room for an additional cha...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Woolfan W
Thank you for your review, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and felt able to give us a 5/5 rating. I am not sure which room you stayed in, but all our rooms should have an armchair as well as the desk chair - I will ask our Housekeeper to check all rooms in case one has been moved.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Lawder Smith

Been to Crowne Plaza London Kensington? Share your experiences!