Having booked a King Club room for 3 nights, I was delighted to be told that I had been upgraded to a suite although a bit concerned that, as it was on the first floor and overlooking the road, it might be noisy. As the suite was on two levels with the bedroom and bathroom in effect on the second floor of the hotel and had triple glazing that proved to be as effective as I had been promised by the Duty Manager, I enjoyed good sleep every night.
The split level nature of the suite did have two disadvantages however: first, the only toilet was in the bathroom and second, the open-tread wooden staircase was fairly steep and tightly curved – it would be quite a challenge for a less able-bodied occupant. The suite was otherwise well equipped with plenty of comfortable seating and a large and comfortable bed. As well as free Wi-Fi and tea/coffee making facilities, there was a minibar with a small space set aside expressly for ‘your personal use’ – something I have never come across in any hotel before - most actively discourage this!
Being in a club room or a suite entitles the occupant to use the club lounge on the ground floor. This is open for complimentary continental breakfast, soft and hot drinks during the day and from 6 – 8pm canapés and drinks – both wine and spirits. It is staffed by charming young waiters who are very friendly and helpful. Deservedly popular, it can get rather crowded however.
As I was speaking at a seminar at the hotel, I was impressed by the excellent facilities and conference staff who did all they could to ensure a successful meeting. We also lunched each day in the restaurant where the food was very good although the restaurant was surprisingly empty – perhaps as a result the service was rather slow. The only other time where the service standard fell short of its usual excellence was on reception when I tried to check out several times but had to give up because of the queue of guests trying to check in as there was only one receptionist at the desk for most of the morning.
Overall I was impressed by the Crowne Plaza, although it was not quite up to The Kensington’s standard of service, in other respects it was as good and, given the price differential, the Crowne Plaza represented better value. I would not hesitate to choose it again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Crowne Plaza London Kensington is a contemporary designed boutique hotel just a stone's throw away from Gloucester Road tube station with direct connectivity from Heathrow Airport (via the Piccadilly line) and from Victoria train station (via the District or Circle line). Harrods, Hyde Park, Natural History Museum, Royal Albert Hall and Science Museum, Earls Court and Olympia Exhibition Centres are few of London's top tourist attractions that are in close proximity to the hotel. Crowne Plaza London Kensington is a perfect hub for shopaholics as Knightsbridge, Sloane Square and the West End are all easily accessible. Retreat and recharge in one of the 162 spacious bedrooms featuring new beds, linen and other facilities such as highspeed broadband internet access and 32 inch flat screen televisions to meet the requirements of a savvy traveller. Of all of Kensington's bars, The Bar seems to be a favourite hang out for locals that end up dining at the Umami restaurant. Crowne Plaza London Kensington boasts over 250 square metres of event spaces that all have natural daylight. The boardroom and garden room overlook the hotels private landscaped garden; a rare sight in a central London hotel. The hotel also has a state of the art fitness suite with the most up to date training equipment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, IHG, Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, Priceline, HotelTravel.com, BookIt.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Crowne Plaza London Kensington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Crowne Plaza Kensington Hotel London
- Crowne Plaza London Kensington England