“Horrible Receptionist” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza London Kensington

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza London Kensington to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza London Kensington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Cromwell Road | Kensington, London SW7 4ER, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #143 of 1,075 hotels in London
Osaka, Japan
“Horrible Receptionist”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my parents for 3 nights in September and it is one of the worst experiences I have ever had at a hotel.

Our itinerary was a bit complicated because we originally had a booking with the first 2 nights for 3 persons and the third night for 2 persons, which was an advance purchase plan.
As my schedule had been changed, I reported at the front desk upon arrival that 3 persons would stay for 3 nights. This means we had to pay additional charge for 1 person for 1 night.

What happened to us when checking out was the receptionist tried to charge us additional charge for 2 nights. We tried to show him the copy of our booking sent from the reservation department via email, but he just glanced at it and never listened to us. He even claimed that he did his job as the computer said!
Moreover, after he had kept us waiting about 1 hour, he was like "Ok, no problem. You don't have to pay anything." He actually never apologized until I said he should have done so.

Was I happy because I didn't have to pay the extra charge for 1 night? No way!
He wasted our time and totally spoiled our trip on the last day in the UK. My parents were leaving for home in Japan and I was going back to Sheffield for my study. It was our last day to spend together. We knew we were not able to see each other for another year, so we all were so disappointed.

Although my dad complained to the reservation department after he went back home, he has never got any reply.

When I stayed at Crowne Plaza Changi Airport in Singapore, the staffs were really friendly and well trained.
Actually, other staffs at this hotel in London were nice, so I don't think his attitude is Crowne Plaza's standard.

Anyway, I will never choose this hotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Twelvemile
I am so sorry to read from your review, of the poor response you recieved from one of our receptionists when you were checking out. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you were caused.
I do hope that until that point, that you were enjoying your stay with us. I am pleased to note that you found the rest of our staff very nice and that this particular receptionist was not representative of the hotel as a whole.
We will of course, try to identify the receptionist who spoke to you and help him understand how he should have dealt with the error he found on your account.
Yours sincerely

1,375 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Greek first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The service and facilities at this hotel are very good. The rooms and reception have recently been refurbished to a high standard. The staff were all friendly and helpful and very good with our 3 year old. We used the club lounge which was a nice extra, the breakfast in the lounge was good but the evening snacks were a bit poor. We had a room facing the garden at the back of the hotel and the rooms were very quiet.

Room Tip: facing the garden
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear James C
Thank you for your feedback, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you liked the club room you had and the newly refurbished club lounge on the ground floor.
I am sorry that the canapes served in the Club Lounge between 6 and 8pm were disappointing and I will ask our Chef to review these.
I hop eyou will be back with us again soon.

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

I had stayed in this hotel when it was a Holiday Inn and been impressed, so was interested to see how the change to Crowne Plaza would affect it. Our welcome was first class by the Reception Manager Gyongyi Virag and we were made to feel very welcome and special, so what went wrong? We tried to order a ham sandwich and a diet coke and were told it would take 25 minutes, we were in a hurry because we were to be in the audience for Pointless, and as a diabetic I needed food. I explained the need for quicker room service, but after 30 minutes had passed we had to leave. We explained to the front desk, and the bill for room service did not appear. On our return we decided not to eat in the restaurant as the menu did not excite us, so ate at the Bombay Brasserie across the road. We had bought Breakfast vouchers at £14,99 each as a special treat, but now the Crowne Plaza really started to fall apart. An omelette was described as a decadent luxury at an extra £ 5, across the road at the Holiday Inn Kensington Forum, it is a no charge extra, and the layout of the restaurant was chaotic, with muesli on one station, the plates on another and the milk beside the cold meats, requiring a criss cross across the restaurant. The plates for breakfast were on another station, so toast in the toaster, then travel to get a plate then onto the hot selection. In their defence when I explained this to Gonzalo who was at the reception as we checked out, he immediately deleted the breakfast from our account and assured me that he would speak to the General Manager, Lawder Smith who has written to me explaining that they will try to remedy the issues.

I will be interested to see if there are any changes when I re-visit London next month.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear Magickpyggie
Thank you for leaving feedback for us on both Trip Advisor and on our own Heartbeat Guest Questionnaire.
Once again, I apologise that you were inconvenienced by the delays on your room service order and the poor layout of the breakfast buffet.
I am pleased to note that youwill be returning again and we will do our very best to ensure you leave witha better impression of the hotel next time.
Yours sincerely
Torrance, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

We booked two rooms for our family of six. I had the #520 and it was excellent space wise. We all have a garden view and it was quiet. Love the bathroom! The service was amazing! They arranged my transfer which was a big deal because there was a few of us in this trip. The Location was excellent! It is centralize to a lot of the sites and the Underground is right across the street. Not to mention, walking distance to the Natural Museum & Science Museum.

Room Tip: if you have a family of four. request room #520. Beds are doubles. The space is huge. A lot of room...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear Luvtotravel1988
Thank you for your review of our hotel. I am pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and hope you will be back again soon. Many of our bedrooms do overlook our 1 acre garden, but the rooms facing the front of the hotel are double glazed and so are also very quiet.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This is the best hotel in London. great location, great service, great staff, great food....I could go on and on....try it! If you are a priority club member they will give you that extra care and plenty of benefits

Room Tip: duplex suite
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Bustrav44
Thank you for your review of our hotel , we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us so much and hope you will be back again soon. I hope you had an opportunity to try our new Asian restaurant, Umami, diring your visit.
Bournemouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Have stayed at several Crowne Plaza's and this is one of the nicest. The hotel has a nice blend of modern decor and features whilst being set in a traditional 'old style London' building. The staff were excellent and whilst we didnt eat there the bar was welcoming as were the bar staff.

Our room (with two queen beds) was spacious and comfortable with all the acroutrements you would expect from this brand

The hotel is very well situated for West London, museums such as V&A, Natural History and Science museums are a short walk as is shopping in Knightsbrifge (Harrods, Harvey Nic's, Sloane Square etc). If you are going to the theatre, again only a short tube ride away (10-14 mins)

The only thing that stops this being a five star is that it is just so damn expensive, like most things in London, but no worse than Paris or Rome, probably less expensive than Paris.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
GenManager_CPKen, General Manager at Crowne Plaza London Kensington, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear BigDad 62
Thank you for you review of our hotel and I am pleased that you thought it was one of the nicest you have stayed in. The hotel is in fact a purpose built hotel behind a Regency facade that is protected.
I am sorry that you felt the hotel was too expensive ( although I can assure yo that it is competitive in comparrison to other London hotels). The best rates can aleays be found on our own website.
I do hope you will return again soon.
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

Booked 2 Club rooms for 3 nights directly though hotel 2 months in advance, one with 2 double bed and another with King bed with request for close rooms. However, was informed only during check-in that they do not have King bed club rooms and double bed club rooms on the same level and suggested that they change the double bed club room to a deluxe room if we want our rooms on the same floor. This is ridiculous, I paid for a Club room and they feel that they are doing me a service by lowering my room class !!

Upon entry to my Club Double bed room, there is a smell of vomit. I then asked for a change of room but they said that they do not have one avaliable and can only ask housekeeping to spray some air freshener. The smell went away after the spray though. There are also stains on carpets and funiture do not look as new / clean as other Club rooms I have stayed.

The next surprise I get is that no provision of disposable bedroom slippers and that there is only 3 pieces of tissue left in my newly checked in Club room. Slippers were however later provided upon request.

Service at the Club Lounge, however, is excellent with a good selection of drinks.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Girder 22
I was very soory to read that you were not able to get the rooms you believe you had booked with us. Our club rooms in fact all have one king size bed. We do not have any Club rooms with 2 double beds. Our Deluxe rooms all have 2 double beds. Our reservations team are all aware of our room types and as these are pre programmed in to our computer system, it ios not possible to book anything else. Please acept my sincre apologies if anyone gave you the impression that the two double bedded room would be a Club room rather than a Deluxe room.

Lawder Smith

Been to Crowne Plaza London Kensington? Share your experiences!